Let's Talk Slides

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
My guitar playing has been pretty limited lately, all my gear is packed up during remolding / studio construction.
My entire life is a mess, nothing is in it's right place, everything is either packed up, covered up or just otherwise covered in dirt and dust.
Yea, I know, whoa is me:whistle:

So, to ad insult to injury, I go hide out in the basement with my acoustic to reacquaint myself with slide and I drop my only glass slide and shatter it to pieces.
When I got it I had never played slide so, didn't know what to look for or how to pick one that fit me.
So, I'll be headed out on a slide hunt and wondered what others have to say.

What material do you prefer?
Thick or thin walled?
What finger do you wear it on?
Any particular favorite type?
anyone using a knuckle or shorty?

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
I haven't tried playing much slide, but Did happen upon an old Coricidian bottle like Duane Allman used, one of these days I'll have to give it a whirl!

Last edited:

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
What material do you prefer?
I prefer brass for a brighter more ringing Delta tone that can cut through the mix. But it can be harsh with a lot of overtures if not muted properly.
Glass is more glassy, lighter tone more crisp, Duane Allman kinda sound..Used properly with the right distortion it makes your notes sing like a pinch harmonic. I keep the plastic case they come in for protection.
Ceramic is kind of in the middle, more ring than glass, not as harsh as brass. If I had to pick one it would probably be ceramic.
Never really cared for the sound of chrome.
For a resonator/acoustic I always use the brass, though ceramic sounds good as well.

Thick or thin walled?
Just like strings the more meat the more sustain, so I like a medium to thick wall. I have one of those jet slides which lets you fret all 4 fingers. some guys love em, but I need more meat.
Tried thin wall glass, didn't work for me.

What finger do you wear it on?
Tried it on all 3. Settled on the pinky. Allows me to add the minor shapes with 2nd & 3rd fingers.

Any particular favorite type?
I really like the yeller dog my daughter gave me, and now that you mention it, I don't know where it is, and I can't find then online...panicing
I had a blue moonshine and that was pretty cool.

anyone using a knuckle or shorty?
Tried knuckle and 1/2 slides, but full length are easier for me as well as tapered.

Last edited:

Dr. Ron

Nuthin’ But The Blues!
I have tried brass, steel, ceramic and glass. The one I have settled on and really like is the Dunlop 218 pyrex heavy walled glass slide. The chrome was too heavy... brass ok, but I could only find a long slide which I didn't like...ceramic didn't give me a great sound.
The 218 is 2 in long and I use it on my pinkie so I can still play in a semi-normal fashion. I use it mostly on my es-339 since the action is a little higher than my fender strat and suhr strat.
It's a lot of fun' but, it encompasses only about 20% of my playing. Good luck Captain!

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
I can't play slide fer sh*t. But I have made up my unchangeable mind to wear it on my pinky so I have the other four fingers available for other stuff ... and also to only focus on using standard tuning. Well, the say playing slide in standard tuning is the toughest, and that may be part of my problem. But it is my problem and I'm stickin' to it.

That said, next was finding a slide that fit my pinky and that allowed my pinky to bend. I found these.
https://www.therockslide.com/shop/balltip-rock-slide-2/

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
1. Only ever used brass, so I can't comment on the others, but I'm happy with it. (even though slide playing isn't a strong point of mine)
2. Thin
3. Pinky
4. No
5. No

BTW Cap'n....., never mind messing around the basement at home!!!!! The basement here is in dire need of some input from your good self.
There are cobwebs growing down there. Hurry Back!!(y)

tommytubetone

Great Lakes
I only have glass and ceramic. The glass one is thin and light. I find it easier to use on a guitar with lower action. I prefer ceramic on a guitar set up for slide.
I wanted to be able to use it on my pinky to free up 3 fingers for other things, but for some reason it's hard to mute strings behind the slide, so I use my ring finger.
I don't use one enough to be considered remotely qualified to be giving any advice on this topic however. Everyone needs to experiment. :Beer:

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
I like the Jet Slide. It allows you to switch back and forth really easily. It takes a little more finess to play cleanly, to get the pressure just right. It comes in chrome or brass, and in various finger sizes.

glynnd

Blues Newbie
I prefer glass because they're lighter and I find them easier to control. I use a Dunlop 218 for electric and a Dunlop 210 for acoustic when I want to be able to reach across all the strings with the slide. I also have a Dunlop 215 glass heavy wall and a 232 brass but don't use them much because I find them a bit unwieldy. I wear it on my pinky.

Terry B

Humble student of the blues
As the others have mentioned you really should try all materials and fingers to see which works best for you. I've settled on glass on my middle finger for the following reasons.

There seems to be more glass ones out there and I don't like the weight of the steel ones. I have a brass one I like but it fits my third finger, got my eye out for one that fits the middle. I also have an actual bottleneck that I really like, especially with my cigar box. I like the coricidin style Dunlops for open tuning when I need to cover all six strings and the short open ones for standard tuning when I'm only striking one or two strings.

I tried each of pinky, ring and middle and settled on middle because it gives me the best control while allowing me to play chords in open tuning with index and ring fingers. In standard tuning it's usually just for lead so I don't need other fingers available.

Good luck in your search. :whistle:

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
you guys amaze me - there are so many other things I already can't do well enough, trying to also play slide isn't anywhere in my universe.
:Beer:
I already play Lap Steel Guitar, along with a dozen other instruments, and have no desire to add slide guitar to my list! :):Beer:

Tom

sloslunas

NM Blues
I tried once or twice. Had a Moonshine ceramic, but I think I gave that to Cowboy on his last visit to the compound...

Steve

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
Glass.
Pretty thick.
Ring finger.
Two knuckle.
Prefer open G, open D or sometimes DADGAD tuning.

Don't play slide all that much but sometimes it's a nice change of pace.

gpower

Blues Junior
I have 2 glass Dunlops and no idea which models. One is thinner and longish, the other thicker and shorter.. I prefer the shorter one on my ring finger. Play very little but in standard tuning, so far.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I tried several materials, and I'm happy with heavy glass.

I would like to wear it on my pinky but it just don't work for me.

The ring finger gives me just enough use of two fingers to add a little fretting.

When I go hunting, I'm interested in trying a few shorties just for kicks.