My current largest obstacle to finishing coursework

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
I think that the most difficult thing about learning to play a musical instrument, is to have a goal. If you have a full time teacher, then that person will take you down a path - good, bad or indifferent. A good teacher should be just that. Unfortunately, about 85% of music teachers are incompetent.

What is your interest in playing guitar? Where are you starting? Where do you want to go? Those things can change, but that is due to life in general. You have to get your feet wet, try a path, and see how it works for you. We are all a bit different and what works for some may not work for others. Once you figure out what you want to do with the guitar, ask questions, and do some exploring. You have to determine what your goal is and go after it.

Tom

Good words. In my case, as noted above, I do have a goal: play out once a week and work to have at least one new song each time. My particular point in starting the thread was something of a lament because the BGU coursework is engaging, and effective, and fun, but also something that has to vie for my time in the context of the aforementioned goal.

As time passes, I shall slowly work my way through it all, and I've already begun to entertain the idea of more blues tunes I can fill that new-song-a-week slot, ones that are within my skill level to the point I can add them even though I may not already have years of experience singing them. :Beer:

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
Hey Mark, I'm just curious - does anyone at your open mic utilize backing tracks or other similar aids (like a looper) for their performances, or is that considered bad form or impure at this venue? That approach might open up some other opportunities for you to introduce a wider variety to your performance. Just a thought.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Hey Mark, I'm just curious - does anyone at your open mic utilize backing tracks or other similar aids (like a looper) for their performances, or is that considered bad form or impure at this venue? That approach might open up some other opportunities for you to introduce a wider variety to your performance. Just a thought.

There's one guy (the one with that S body guitar that intrigued me) who does instrumental compositions that make extensive use of a Flashback X4 and looper. Another guy just started experimenting with bringing a vocal harmonizer pedal. The event started out billed as acoustic but methinks people are pretty open and accepting. In fact I was pondering how I might add in a board with the TRIO+ for some bass/drum backing.

The organizer sometimes gets picky about what equipment she lets be plugged into her sound system (It's aimed at vocals and acoustics and she worries about overloading it) but people are bringing their own amps (and once even a full mixer with effects) so I expect it's as flexible as I care to experiment with. I know they've been getting a kick out of my "Air Guitar" with the built in acoustic sweetener and chorus effects. One of the draws that led me to order one of those Headrush Gigboards was it'll be a good size for the venue and will let me start introducing lots of fun stuff without dragging a lot of cables and gear.

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
Sounds like introducing some additional variety in the musical content there might be well received, and an opportunity for you!
I suspect that at some jams and open mic venues, the same people tend to play the same stuff repeatedly.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Sounds like introducing some additional variety in the musical content there might be well received, and an opportunity for you!
I suspect that at some jams and open mic venues, the same people tend to play the same stuff repeatedly.

Yeah, there does seem to be a lot of repetition in some cases; part of why I try to have a new song each week so my own set doesn't get stale. I do 6-7 songs at a whack and, at first, that was a challenge but my binder is growing to where it's easier not to do the same song two weeks in a row.

The organizer built a business around setting up and managing these open mics at various venues around town and she seems to be doing well at it, and she's open to ideas that make things more interesting. I know that at this particular venue open mic night tends to be the first or second best night of the week for the owner and that's her value added around here. I'm glad to see it and hope the trend continues and grows. Some bar owners only book established and paid acts but open mics have a lot of promise and bring in decent crowds if done right.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
If anyone is interested in seeing and hearing a sampling of the different acts that the pub offers just go to YouTube and search "16 stone brewpub". There about a couple dozen videos and even one of Mark.

I did not even know those were there; cool! Thanks for the tip!

D-Dubb is one of the more notable local performers and I’ve seen him set up a camera on one of the tables but I didn’t think to ask him whether he were posting stuff. :Beer:

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
So, you guys have helped inspire me. There's no open mic next week because of the Thanksgiving holiday, and I got my request in late for the following week so ended up with a 15 minute slot at the end.

Decided it's going to be an all-blues mini set, and I have two weeks in which to select and polish up the three songs (not gonna do Folsom again unless I need a fourth to fill time). :Beer:

jackderby52

Prehistoric blues knob (not newbie)
If i could sing, I would be more than happy with playing a few cowboy cords.. Thus the reason I must improve my playing. And to be honest with myself, I suck at both... But, I have a better chance at improving my guitar skills over the other... Mark, you are getting up there and doing both.. light-years in front of me...

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Well, I'm probably full of it, but for me there is no dilemma. If is isn't blues ... it just isn't on the agenda ... jams, open mic, or anywhere else. I don't go to jams that aren't billed as a blues jam. And even at one of those if they play something that isn't blues I just bow out and don't play, and if there's a lot of that, just pack up and go home and never go back. I have never played and sang at an open mic, but if I ever do it will be blues.

Last edited:

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Just about settled on my mini set for next week:
  • Deep Elem Blues
  • Before You Accuse Me
  • She Caught the Katy
First two are bread-and-butter standards and fairly easy to pick up, the third is just too fun not to try. I'll keep Folsom in my hip pocket in case I need a fourth to fill the time.

Still undecided as to whether I'll use the Air Guitar or drag out the new Headrush Gigboard and the 339 and use them into the house PA. Seems kinda overkill for these tunes but also a lot of fun so we'll see. :Beer: