Fix-It November 2018 (Formerly Hot Seat)

Status
Not open for further replies.

david moon

Attempting the Blues

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I think that's much better. Now, just wait to use that double stop until the band is building up to the IV chord. It's a bigger sound, and using when the band is just vamping over the I chord doesn't let you really make use of the extra energy that it brings.
Still doesn't feel quite right, but MAYBE a bit better?
Hoochie Coochie Man-take 4

@Griff , I tried to incorporate some of your suggestions
MikeS Hoochie Coochie Man-Take 3

This is pretty interesting. Really can't put my finger on too many nuances that are different, but the improvement is clearly noticeable. I'm guessing one of Griff's suggests was to incorporate some licks in higher octaves? Also, your tone is a bit brighter in take 3, which I thought sounded better as well. Was that an intentional adjustment?

There's nothing dramatically more complex or difficult sounding about take3, it just sounds like, with some tips from Griff, you made better choices.

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
Yes, it's better, and getting better every time.

There's this part, however, where the band is building, 1 bar before the IV chord comes around - that's where you want to really stick something because the band is building, don't let that go by, use your double stop there or a big bend or something dramatic to take advantage of that part.

I need to do a video today anyway, maybe I'll see if I can do a blog video about this and get it out so you can hear and see what I mean.

Griff

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Hmmm... I thought I DID do the dbl stops at the IV (at least in the first 12 bars) I'll have to work on it a bit more.

Griff

Staff member
Hmmm... I thought I DID do the dbl stops at the IV (at least in the first 12 bars) I'll have to work on it a bit more.
You want to use them to build up to the IV, not once the IV has happened. I'm working on a video for you, check email tomorrow or Friday for it :)

Chris L. Babcock

Blues Newbie
You are on the right track. You were rushing a bit in spots but that is easy to happen on a slow tempo where maybe your "feel" doesn't quite match with the track. Listen to the snare on 2 and 4 try to lock into that.
Thank you...This timing thing is kicking my a** but I will keep pushing forward...Griff gave me more homework which I will do and post..

Griff

Staff member
Hmmm.. I'm hearing an unspoken "but" ...
Sorry... I guess it did come across that way.

I still hear some fumbling and you're still working on it. But it's headed in the right direction so it just needs some time to simmer now.

Status
Not open for further replies.