Is finger picking knowledge required?

Talon3814

Talon
Hello to all, I am interested in this course very much. I have one major question that is stooping me from making the jump into it. Do you need to have finger picking skills to use this course or is it taught as part of the course? I understand that flat picking is a option but it looks like you get more out of it using just your fingers.

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
everything shall be taught..........I dont enjoy fingerpicking, just not my bag, but I figured it was a skill to at least get the basics, you can go at any speed and learn

Mickey Duane

Used To Be A Rock Star
I have always been a flat picker but after doing this course I learned how to finger pick much better. Just takes lots of practice

Peace

jmin

Student Of The Blues
When I started on this course, learning finger picking was one of my goals. I hadn't really done any finger picking before this. I'm on lesson #27 now, and I don't remember focusing on the finger picking part. The course covers a lot elements of the acoustic blues, but doesn't seem to require "expert" finger picking. And you get better at it as you go along!
Jump in! The water's fine!

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
I started classical, flamenco, and country-western guitar when I was 10. That was 66 years ago. I started paying electric guitar about ten years ago. There are several styles of finger picking - and a few that come to mind include - Merle Travis, Chet Atkins, and Jerry Reed, to name a few. I have a passionate dislike to use a pick when I am fingerpicking! I tried lots of thumb picks but gave that up.

Griff's ABGU Course is truly first rate! It is so much fun to play, and a great tool to "get your feet wet", with fingerpicking. I just took the lessons I learned from classical and flamenco, and applied them to other forms of music. I just like "the feel of the strings". One thing I always do is to do warm up exercises for at lest 5 minutes before starting a session.

It is best to find what you like, and enjoy it. Not everyone who plays guitar likes the same music, method, or instrument. When you find what you like, you will know it! :):Beer:

Tom

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
A suggestion if I may: When you receive the course, go from page 1 to the end, step by step. Record yourself along the way. Keep a logbook of your progress, when you played and what the lesson was, as well as your own comments on the lesson.

Don't be like some members, who "collect courses", which helps Griff's sales, but does not add to your guitar knowledge. There is something about fingerstyle, and acoustic guitar that is really a great deal of fun.

If and when you should go to an electric guitar in the future, you will have many things to concern yourself with. Besides attempting to determine which courses to obtain, you have to contend with what color guitar, pickups, strings, bridge, nut, frets, neck, body, tuners, picks, strap, amplifier, speakers, pedals, and the list goes on. :eek:

The world of acoustic guitars can be so much simpler than the above! :) An acoustic guitar is like a good friend. Keep it and enjoy its company. It is always there for you to enjoy. You do not have to concern yourself with emulating the sound of someone else. You are your own boss. :sneaky:

Tom

kgarkie

Been living the blues.
The first song I learned how to finger pick was CSN's "Helplessly Hoping" in 1985. It's the song I relearned after I lost the tip of my middle finger and now use my thumb, index, ring and little finger. And It's my warmup song. I now finding I'm fingerpicking more in this course and flat picking SWS.

chayhurst27

Spring, Texas
When I first started on guitar, I learned classical Spanish guitar and Flamenco (all finger style); so when I transitioned to electric guitar later, I couldn't play with a pick for the life of me! I remember constantly complaining about not being able to flat pick. Especially when I was trying to play heavy metal stuff and hard rock, I just HATED not being able to use a pick. I don't remember how long it took me to get used to it, but I eventually did; and I REALLY appreciate being able to do both now. Being able to play with your fingers is an awesome skill to have.