Getting a handle on Little Chords (Lesson 4)

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
So, this concept is pure gold. I can't overstate how useful this is for a n00b like me wanting to be able to comp in pretty much any blues jam even on songs I don't know (which is almost alla dem).

My insecurity lies in being able quickly to find the right frets for the I chord; the IV and V are, of course, right there. In general practice, does one always use the E7 shape of the barre form to anchor the I chord? If so, Bob's my uncle and I'm all set. If not, are there some quick-n-dirty tips for finding that starting I position for the 2-note Little Chord when someone calls out a key for a 12-bar and I need to get there quickly and with confidence?

Then kew. :Beer:

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
Yes think of the E7 shape for the I chord, or more simply, root note on the E string.
Then IV and V are in relation to that starting position: I think of the IV as one fret lower and the V two above the IV of course.

Little chords were one of those magical tricks I got from Griff's courses.

I also use a 2 notes comp pattern on the middle strings that I think also came from Griff. Great for really quiet songs. I'll see if I can dig that one up

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Thanks, Chris! I kind of figured that's how you spot the I chord but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something crucial.

Very much look forward to your find (and share)! :Beer:

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Perfect, thanks!

The gist I was getting (from a theory wonk angle) was you spot the I chord based on the E7 barre form, then the IV and V are derived from the 9. In the above video, for whatever reason, that process came through much more clearly to me. I'm sure it was brain overload from the BGU material in context whereas the above video was a short snippet I watched with a fresh look. Sometimes when I feel like I'm going under my brain throws up the deflector shields until it's had time to process the stuff thus far.

Unknown.jpeg

Randy S

Blues Junior
If you want to add a little variety to your comping there are 5 positions where you can do a "Little" 7 chords. I will attach a "cheat sheet" that I use. In each position you can find a I, a IV, and a V if you study it closely.

Attachments

• Little 7 chords.pdf
    108.3 KB · Views: 65

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
You have them in the wrong order, it should be C A G... :)

Yup I use some of those too, the G shape is a great alternate to open chords when playing in the key of E, you can also add a passing octave note with your pinky on the E string.

I do the D7 with only the 3 fingers in a triangle for easier fingering.

Your C7 shape I also with another E7 shape (not in your chart) where I don't play the highest and lowest string when I need a rest from barre chords or just like the alternate voicing (the IV chord is two frets lower than the I chord).

So many possibilities....

Randy S

Blues Junior
You have them in the wrong order, it should be C A G... :)

Yup I use some of those too, the G shape is a great alternate to open chords when playing in the key of E, you can also add a passing octave note with your pinky on the E string.

I do the D7 with only the 3 fingers in a triangle for easier fingering.

Your C7 shape I also with another E7 shape (not in your chart) where I don't play the highest and lowest string when I need a rest from barre chords or just like the alternate voicing (the IV chord is two frets lower than the I chord).

So many possibilities....
You're right- they are not in the "correct" order. I actually hadn't looked at this sheet in quite awhile since I pretty much have this down and practice it periodically.

I do the D7 shape the same way you mention sometimes but it sounds a little "tinny" to me without the root on the 4th string. And if you do the full 4 strings you can lift off the little finger on the 1 st string to expose the barre and you have a 9 chord so I tend to favor the full 4 strings shape.

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
Little chords are best used when playingg with others, the bass (and possibly other less discerning guitars) provides the root.

They are also awesome for playing solo acoustic blues. Keep that thump bass going and intersperse licks and little chords. Classic blues. Works with solo electric too!

Eric

Ranger

Blues Newbie
Going back and reviewing some material and want to get these small chords down.

I think I have this down, but wanted to get some input before I try and lock it in. Honestly after typing the below I am not so sure :)

If I see a 7th chord I should use the 1st finger as my guide and the root on the 6th string if it is the 1 chord?

For a 7th chord for the 4 and 5 I should use the 1st finger as my guide and the root on the 5th string?

For a 9th chord for the 4 and 5 I should use the 2nd finger as my guide and the root on the 5th string?

Any preference in these small chords in using the 1st and 2nd finger or the 1st and 3rd as I see Griff doing it both ways.

I am still trying to figure out in my head how this is I, IV, and V. A7 D9 E9, maybe the 9th is throwing me?

jmin

Student Of The Blues
Going back and reviewing some material and want to get these small chords down.

I think I have this down, but wanted to get some input before I try and lock it in. Honestly after typing the below I am not so sure :)

If I see a 7th chord I should use the 1st finger as my guide and the root on the 6th string if it is the 1 chord?
It doesn't matter what function (1, 4, 5, etc.) the chord is performing. But the "1"chord is usually where you start, and then pick your other chord shapes - to "stay in position." It sounds like you’re correct, if you're using the "E" shape, the root is on the 6th string.
For a 7th chord for the 4 and 5 I should use the 1st finger as my guide and the root on the 5th string?
Yes - assuming your using the "A" shape chord.
For a 9th chord for the 4 and 5 I should use the 2nd finger as my guide and the root on the 5th string?
Yes - assuming your using the "C" shape chord, and substituting where your 3rd finger would be with your 2nd finger, for the "9th" chord.
Any preference in these small chords in using the 1st and 2nd finger or the 1st and 3rd as I see Griff doing it both ways.
It depends on YOUR preference and which "shapes" you like to play and hear.

I am still trying to figure out in my head how this is I, IV, and V. A7 D9 E9, maybe the 9th is throwing me?
Yea, drop all the add ons (7ths, and 9th), then it's just counting...
A B C D E F G
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Griff covers this really well in his Theory course. He really covers the standard harmony rule very well.
You may also like the CAGED course. It covers the 5 shapes very well and gets you comfortable with their positions on the fretboard

Hope that helps, Ranger!

Last edited:

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Triads in the Key of A Major:

A C# E = I
B D F# = ii
C# E G# = iii
D F# A = IV
E G# B = V
F# A C# = vi
G# B D = viidim

A D E = I IV V

In a blues, the taller dominant chords (with 7, 9, 11, or 13) aren't "really" all in the same key, but we talk about them as if they were.
Adding these extensions doesn't change the function of the chord. Functionally A7 = A9 = A11 = A13. They are all Dominant chords (and actually in the key of D Major; a topic for another time).

david moon

Attempting the Blues
Sounds like you got some good advice. Don't get bogged down in the theory swamp- it will be here when you're ready

If you are playing an E shape on whatever fret, the IV will be one string up on the same fret with an A shape.

david moon

Attempting the Blues
Some more:
If the root is on the 6th string (and also 1st), the E shape is (for example A) 577655. An A7 would be 575655. A little version, if you can do the muting is XX565X. No root in that voicing.

Continuing this example, the IV would be D and could be a A shape with root on the 5th fret 5th string, X57775, or for D7 X57575, XX7778. You could also use the C7 shape, D7 X5453X

FrankMarsh

Blues Newbie
I just got through this part of the course, it was so simple it actually confused me a bit.... I have a tendency to overthink thinks a bit. This is very useful to say the least.

CVTOT

Blues Newbie
You have them in the wrong order, it should be C A G...

I don't understand. In the photo there are two fretboards, one has E shape C shape G shape
the other has D shape A shape E shape
is it the E, C, G that is supposed to be C A G?

Bob630

Blues Newbe
So, this concept is pure gold. I can't overstate how useful this is for a n00b like me wanting to be able to comp in pretty much any blues jam even on songs I don't know (which is almost alla dem).

My insecurity lies in being able quickly to find the right frets for the I chord; the IV and V are, of course, right there. In general practice, does one always use the E7 shape of the barre form to anchor the I chord? If so, Bob's my uncle and I'm all set. If not, are there some quick-n-dirty tips for finding that starting I position for the 2-note Little Chord when someone calls out a key for a 12-bar and I need to get there quickly and with confidence?

Then kew. :Beer:

Love the little chords, they sure do make life simple for this lesson. Almost ready to move on to lesson 5.