The July Challenge (that isn't in July)

For August (and beyond) would you rather see....

• Challenges that are sometimes "real" songs, maybe 1/3 of the time

Votes: 19 51.4%
  • Challenges that are never song-based and like they have been

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keep challenges as they are and add another meetup for a "songlab"

Votes: 18 48.6%

• Total voters

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
I pretty much agree with what has been posted. As much as I like learning songs, the blues to me is more about jamming and improv...maybe do an in-depth look at "Lessons From the Masters"...use one lesson as a starting point and dig a little deeper...all that being said, I'm pretty much good with anything that moves me forward...later.

cowboy

followup thought:...how about a "Cray vs. Clapton" Challenge (for ex.)...tons of choices...we could do a discussion about the differences in style and go from there...just saying...
So would that be something like examining some licks from both, looking at similarities and differences, and the "challenge" would be to create and play a solo in that style (your choice, Cray or Clapton?)

... just trying to imagine exactly what that would look like

jmin

Student Of The Blues
Wow, more stuff?! I think my brain is full...if we go to Courses, e-mail lessons, AAP, monthly Challenges, and song learning, how am I going to have any Forum time left?! But if you must...it would be great to learn songs that were: a) popular tunes, and, b) had some significant musical guitar element or technique that was the key learning point. I guess what I’m saying is that I wouldn’t want to learn a song just for the sake of learning a song.

Last edited:

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Griff, I chose the third option to keep the challenges as they are and add a song lab, but I'd say that for folks that might not be able to afford to do both, maybe do ONE song in the normal challenge (or one that overlaps both.. not sure how people would feel about that).
So would that be something like examining some licks from both, looking at similarities and differences, and the "challenge" would be to create and play a solo in that style (your choice, Cray or Clapton?)

@Griff I've always been intrigued by peoples ability to "Play in the style of", with simple folk like me being able to hear that it does in fact sound like that person. I've had people try to explain what artists do to create their distinctive sound, but when I try it it never sounds quite right. When I use the BB Box, it doesn't sound like BB, but when you do (or Tommy K does), it sounds like BB.
So if you don't think that it's beyond most of us...
What makes BB, Clapton, Joe B, SRV so recognizable?

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
There are many bridges which we can sit under and pick and choose to inspire us musically. Also, the Saint Louis Blues, a well known song, uses the 12 bar blues format, and then has 16 bar bridge, using the habanera form.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Louis_Blues_(song)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contradanza

Here is a habanera from the late 1700's. What is interesting to me is how music forms “borrow” from each other throughout time. I used my flamenco guitar to record this.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ah1d5nhcitn9l5g/Habanera.mp3?dl=0

The habanera went from England, to France, Spain, Cuba, back to Spain, Mexico, all of South America, to New Orleans and Saint Louis.

Tom

D. R. Miller

Good News Blues
Griff, I chose the third option to keep the challenges as they are and add a song lab, but I'd say that for folks that might not be able to afford to do both, maybe do ONE song in the normal challenge (or one that overlaps both.. not sure how people would feel about that).

@Griff I've always been intrigued by peoples ability to "Play in the style of", with simple folk like me being able to hear that it does in fact sound like that person. I've had people try to explain what artists do to create their distinctive sound, but when I try it it never sounds quite right. When I use the BB Box, it doesn't sound like BB, but when you do (or Tommy K does), it sounds like BB.
So if you don't think that it's beyond most of us...
What makes BB, Clapton, Joe B, SRV so recognizable?

Tone and equipment has a lot to do with it not just what notes or box your playing.

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ

you are on the money...study each style a bit, looking at the stylistic differences, and then give one or both a shot...or maybe 12 bars of each...you could pick artists that are "somewhat" close or on opposite ends of the spectrum...

a lot of forum members can recognize different artists rather quickly by sound or technique but... what are the differences when it comes to soloing in that particular style...

Clapton vs Cray was just an example...what about SRV vs. Clapton, Ford vs Schofield or Winter vs JB...just thinking out loud...later.

cowboy

LoriB

Blues Newbie
My 2 cents is that though I love the challenges, and they have taught me much, when I’m in the middle of one I don’t have time to work on any thing else like the numerous courses I have from you. They pretty much absorb all my learning time. I think quarterly challenges and occasional song workshops would be good. With all the all access stuff you do I don’t know how you find the time.

I am in this camp.

If these do go to a monthly format, is there any way that AAP folks could have access to the challenge materials at a later date after the active month? I hate to miss any learning opportunities from Griff but monthly challenges are going to be too much for me to take on and still work on my basic learning path thru Griff's main courses. Most of the value is doing the challenge with other members during the active month, but it would be great to be able to go back and learn from the old challenges too. Not trying to get something for free, just looking for another bonus for AAP folks. (Context - I have paid for all but 1 of the Challenges to date. I missed the email for that one, or I would have done it too.)

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
If these do go to a monthly format, is there any way that AAP folks could have access to the challenge materials at a later date after the active month? I hate to miss any learning opportunities from Griff but monthly challenges are going to be too much for me to take on and still work on my basic learning path thru Griff's main courses. Most of the value is doing the challenge with other members during the active month, but it would be great to be able to go back and learn from the old challenges too. Not trying to get something for free, just looking for another bonus for AAP folks. (Context - I have paid for all but 1 of the Challenges to date. I missed the email for that one, or I would have done it too.)
As it stands now, AAP folks get a discount on the challenges. So if you can't do it at the time, you could still register and the materials will be there when you can get to them.

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
I am in this camp.

For sure if it was some sort of monthly ongoing thing, you'd always have access to replays of previous months. But truly, I don't know how I'll do this yet... I just haven't gotten that far :)

What I do know is that the biggest improvements I see are during the challenges. The courses are good, and we rely on them for the raw materials, but the challenges where I see people really push themselves and actually play.

JeffreyS

You are never to old to learn something new.
I like the idea of learning songs, Griff can pick songs that he already sells the backing track to. Have a series where you teach how to play the top 20 or 30 blues songs played at a blues jam.

Lefty Jeff

A little blues rosetta
I've been pretty quiet on the forums lately, but I LOVE the idea of learning songs from Griff. StratGuy's idea directly above it brilliant.

Lefty Jeff

A little blues rosetta
Oh yeah! I would LOVE to learn some full rock and blues songs, but I don't know if Griff is interested in getting the rights and/or authorization for stuff like that.