Pedals/Effects 10 best tubescreamer type pedals

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
When it comes to "TS" pedals, I look for those that can have that authentic "TS" mid hump. Without that, I do not even regard them as a "TS" pedal. There are several non-TS pedals in this article, and I really have no idea why they are even included. The Nobels is one of them, the BD-2 is another, and the Mad Professor Little Green Wonder is another. All the rest are firmly in the "TS" camp IMO.

Last edited:

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Yeah, I have both the Nobles and the BD2 and they are nothing like my TS. The TS just seems cleaner to me and the others a bit muddier.

gpower

Blues Junior
For that 'hump' I like my VoodooLabs Sparkle Drive. My favorite thing with it though is being able to add in clean signal side by side with the od.

arock

Help! I'm a rock
Love the Clarksdale by Wampler. It replaced both Tube Screamer and Blues Driver on my board. The mid knob is very responsive.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
For that 'hump' I like my VoodooLabs Sparkle Drive. My favorite thing with it though is being able to add in clean signal side by side with the od.
That is a great feature. I wish more pedals had it! My J Rockett Dude pedal does, and it is my favorite full-range pedal.

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
When it comes to "TS" pedals, I look for those that can have that authentic "TS" mid hump. Without that, I do not even regard them as a "TS" pedal.
First time I ever heard anyone say this was when I mentioned the VS Open Road pedal was like a TS without the hump, and you replied with the same comment in that thread. I still think that, but I think I'm beginning to see your point of view on the subject. I'm not completely convinced yet, but I'm thinking that direction. You've almost changed my mind on this one. Not that you care, but just thought I'd share. (y)

Oddly enough, thinking about non-TS ODs, I ordered a Tone Bakery Creme Brulee the other day. Waiting on it to come in. They seemed to be getting a lot of hype maybe a year or two ago, but I haven't heard anything about them since. It's supposed to be more of a Klone type OD. Figure I've got a KTR, a Tumnus, and a Soul Food, why not add another pedal in that vein to the stable right? Actually I'm just really, really curious about that one for some reason, and it was cheap.

I also still want a TS10, but John Mayer started using one, and now I can't seem to find one in decent shape less than about 3 bills. Not interested in paying that much for a pedal when it's mostly curiosity driving the purchase.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Snarf, my sentiment isn't that a TS808 type pedal is the end-all, be-all pedal. For most things I prefer other more full-range pedals. On my big hernia-inducing board, I used my Open Road lots more than I did my Double Trouble. On my new compact board I use my J Rockett Dude a lot more than my Earthquaker Dunes. On my new mini board, I use the Xvive Tube Squasher a lot more than my Pigronix Disnortion in the mid-hump setting. But if you're ever looking for that SRV kind of thing, a good TS808 type pedal is essential IMO. Incidentally, I happen to have a TS10 from when they were inexpensive. Also a TS808 also from way back and a TS9. There isn't much difference between them, and my Earthquaker Devices Dunes does a better job of it than any of those.