Picky Stuff

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
No, not wanting to kick off a religious war about which pick is better than which, et cetera and yadda ad infinitum.

I've been a fan of the DAVA grip tips for a while but, as I actually play more and more often, I've been feeling maybe they're not the best fit for me. To be more specific about that (because, really, how vague can you get?), one thing I'm feeling is the model I'm using sounds like they're hitting the strings too bright, if that makes sense. Also, somehow it feels like they're trying to catch on the strings when I dig in, though I can't find anything protruding that might cause that; just feels like somehow they're getting snagged though I dunno how that's possible.

I started rotating the pick so I was using more of the side edge than the tip and the sound seemed smoother and warmer to my ears. Then I tried another of the DAVAs I had (I got a small assortment pack), the brighter green one (the main one is that washed-out green color) and it sounded better to my ears right away. Likewise for the red and the translucent purple one.

I also have an assortment of V-Picks, but in the past the clicky string noise was a turn-off. For some reason, last night, the trad light and ultra-light sounded less clicky and the tone from the amp was really good.

I'm thinking maybe at long last getting to the point where I can actually hear and feel the differences in various picks, whereas before I was just going by a limited perception. One general impression is I might be more into a thinner type, something with some flex and give that warms up the string contact.

Another thing of note: as i play, even if I grip the pick so only a small amount is protruding, I quickly end up holding the outer end of it with as much as possible protruding short of it flying free—in fact, one night on stage I had two flyers in the same song. Heh. Folks got a kick out of that (and I have a couple spares grab-ready).

So, again: not so much trying to ignite a what-brand-is-best brawl, just seeking some general wisdom in things plectrum, from general type and thickness for various tastes, as well as maybe some tips on somehow keeping it in my fingers where I started it (I know: practice it. Just curious whether there are exercises or drills to help speed that process).

Thanks, brethren (and sistren). :Beer:

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
There are so many different pick types, sizes, shapes, materials... I guess that shows how many different preferences the world of guitarist really havw going on.

Periodically, I buy an assortment and try out some new pics to see if there is anything I like better than my current choice. As a result I generally have an assortment of various picks that haven't won favor with me yet. I can go and revisit them to see if my preferences have changed.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Yeah, I have a "Tupperware" dish filled with the assortment I've accumulated since I started this madness. Until recently it was an exercise in futility working through them because I really haven't had the chops to know what I was looking for. Last night was something of a revelation and I dumped the thing so I could sort out the ones I wanted to revisit.

I get this is generally a question without an answer, just hoping to spark some talk from the old salts wherefrom I might learn some useful stuff to help guide my own quest. :cool:

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
I'm thinking maybe at long last getting to the point where I can actually hear and feel the differences in various picks, whereas before I was just going by a limited perception.
Mark, I think you hit the nail on the head right here. As one progresses, and spends less time thinking about what you are doing, and instead just doing it, it opens the mind to perceive and observe other things relative to what you are actually doing. It's a good indicator of progress! It shows your ability to increase the level of musical multi-tasking is expanding.
While other people can offer suggestions on technique (pick angle, etc), only you can decide what works and feels right or best to you, and that's your answer. That's not to say that it won't or shouldn't evolve or change over time, as your techniques expand and the ear becomes more and more refined. It's all a normal and good thing. Experimenting is good.

Shodai

Blues Junior
For the longest time I used the standard old Fender Medium 351 shape, and about five years ago started using the heavy. I found the tended to rotate when playing and I had to keep shifting and adjusting.

I tried the Everly Star Picks. The start cut out allowes your fingers to go through the pick, and the edges of the star shape prevent it from moving around. The are available from very thin to very thick.

I still get the familiar shape of the Fender 351, but they don't move.

E3002.jpeg

Elio

Student Of The Blues
Yeah, I have a "Tupperware" dish filled with the assortment I've accumulated since I started this madness. Until recently it was an exercise in futility working through them because I really haven't had the chops to know what I was looking for. Last night was something of a revelation and I dumped the thing so I could sort out the ones I wanted to revisit.

I get this is generally a question without an answer, just hoping to spark some talk from the old salts wherefrom I might learn some useful stuff to help guide my own quest. :cool:

After lots of trial and error (and much more to come) I finally got my active inventory down to fit in a Cleveland Indians shot glass. I finally gave up trying to find a one-size-fits-all pick that works for everything, so I mostly have settled on a V-Picks Tradition for single-note playing and the Tradition Lite for strumming. If I have to do both without a pick change, I tend to use the Tradition Medium. I still can't seem to let go of my beloved Jazz III's with texture grip (hey, I made a pun), as well as my Dunlop Big Stubbies.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Some people like picks that stick to your fingers and don't move. I'm just the opposite. Pretty constantly rotating the pic from the pointy end to the shoulder is an inherent part of my playing. I have tried just about every kind of pick and keep coming back to plain old Fender Heavies. Don't even look at others any more.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
My current "at hand assortment", the Gray Nylon .73 Dunlop is favorite for strumming, particularly acoustic, for leads I like the Screamer, the 'lil stubbie, Ultex Jazz III 2.0, the others are pretty much general duty. I also on occasion like a Tortex or a Clayton in about a .80mm for Electric rhythm playing and I prefer the heel of those for that application.

Attachments

• Picks.JPG
    Picks.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Cool, thanks for the insights PB! I started using the heel of my DAVAs last night for the first time ever and that was very interesting. So much to learn! :Beer:

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Loving the insights thus far, thanks guys! :Beer:

Played the open mic set last night with the brighter-green DAVA pick on my acoustic; liked it, but can't find what kind it is. This is what's on their web site now:
Screen Shot 2018-07-20 at 8.19.43 AM.png

The Nylon is what I've been using, the Delrin and Poly Gel were some of what I was liking better, but this is the one I most liked from my DAVA assortment (on the right; a Nylon in the pic for comparison):

dava picks.jpg

I couldn't find that one on the site, maybe I'll contact them and ask.

One thing of note: these picks are actually designed for me to be holding them near the heel for a more flexible feel (they replicate thicker picks the closer to the tip you hold them). It's a novel design but not sure it's a good habit to get into. I'm taking today off from work to spend on things musical and I intend to give the V-Pick trad lite and ultra lite some love while I'm at it.

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
My go to pick since coming back to playing is the Jazz3. The writing has worn off them but I think they are 1.14mm. They remind me of the Fender picks I used in the 70's. I (thankfully) don't have a problem dropping them, even though I changed my grip from 3 fingers to two when I started BGU. I don't know if it has any bearing on it, but I do grip them quite lightly. Hope you find one that does your job.

Last edited:

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
For the longest time I used the standard old Fender Medium 351 shape, and about five years ago started using the heavy. I found the tended to rotate when playing and I had to keep shifting and adjusting.

I tried the Everly Star Picks. The start cut out allowes your fingers to go through the pick, and the edges of the star shape prevent it from moving around. The are available from very thin to very thick.

I still get the familiar shape of the Fender 351, but they don't move.

View attachment 5687

Do you know of any source for an assortment? I did some looking and all I found were packs in a given size. I'd be more interested in a variety of thicknesses to test before I dove into a dozen or so of one size.

Shodai

Blues Junior
If you check eBay and search for everly star picks, you will find a 100 pack assortment, and also a listings for a 4 pack assortment where you can choose what sizes you want.

Or, in the alternative, pm me your address and I'll send you an assortment. I got a 100 pack so I have a few extras.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
If you check eBay and search for everly star picks, you will find a 100 pack assortment, and also a listings for a 4 pack assortment where you can choose what sizes you want.

Or, in the alternative, pm me your address and I'll send you an assortment. I got a 100 pack so I have a few extras.

PM sent. Thanks! :Beer:

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
So @Shodai ’s Everly Stars are playing well for me. I’ve gone back and forth through the sizes and the 0.68mm is working best for me thus far. Need to send more time on the acoustic to verify. Haven’t written off the V-Picks, not by any means, just with that material the thinnest UL model seems the best fit. Note: I’ve sampled the Vs right up to springing for a Collosal because I was curious.

In the aggreate, I’m looking for a mix of expression and give so my strumming stuff stays warm while letting the rare solo licks I try ring out (but not too chimey).

The DAVA Grp Tip, on paper, would be ideal because the same pick can be most any thickness you want by changing the grip. In practice they feel good, but the grip versatility isn’t there for me so methinks I lose a lot of the luster. For me they end up feeling thick and grabby.

Dr. Ron

Nuthin’ But The Blues!
I seem to always gravitate back to the Jazz III. I like the V Pick Ruby UL; but, I have broken a couple
or them when I get wild (at least "wild" by my standards). I also find that the more I use them; the, less they seem to stick.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
I seem to always gravitate back to the Jazz III. I like the V Pick Ruby UL; but, I have broken a couple
or them when I get wild (at least "wild" by my standards). I also find that the more I use them; the, less they seem to stick.

I have a few of the small-ish, black Jazz IIIs. I got them when I heard Steve Stine uses them, before I started hanging out here. I’ve got a couple in my current audition bowl, my thinking being that smaller gives me less opportunity to let them migrate into a “bad” grip configuration. Thus far, though, they’re just grabbing the strings too strong, as one might expect from a thicker pick.

All this retroactive navel-gazing is most likely because when I got my first electric, and first started using a pick, I had groupies-longing-for-my-touch leads on the brain, when my more realistic current approach needs to be doan-motivate-the-sheep-to-laugh-at-me rhythm chops.