Fender Twin Reverb Reissue maybe?

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
That’s one of the advantages I have, is I like the amp clean. I don’t really like the sound of overdriven output tubes. I don’t mind turning up the gain on amps that have a gain channel, but I like the output to not be clipping. So the Twin will never be putting out 85 watts, but when I hit a chord it will have tons of headroom.

Now I have to decide what speakers to put in it? I haven’t met a stock Fender speaker that I liked. I really like the Carvin Vintage speaker that is in my Nomad. I actually bought one that is still in the box. Maybe I will look for another one of those? Or there is an Eminence Legend 12M which is supposed to be like the Electrovoice EVM. They even have a neodimium magnet version that would make it lighter. And I will be getting an Electroharmonix 12at7 tube for the phase inverter. That sounded fabulous in that Deluxe that I worked on. It had the Electrovoice speaker too, and was one fine sounding amp.

There is a local band, and they guitar player always had a large 15” Peavey cab behind him on a chair. At first I thought it was his amp, but then I figured out he didn’t have an amp, just a pedal board. The Peavey with the 15” speaker was just his guitar monitor. The house sound which is excellent, used that for his monitor.

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
First chance I've had since I bought it to sit down and play for a bit. I can say without a doubt the reverb does not work. I wasn't sure when I checked it out before paying for it. But that night I moved it and could hear the reverb tank make a noise so I figured that meant it was working. However there is no guitar sound going through the reverb tank, only the noise it makes when you bump the amp. I will get it sorted out in quick order. I know this guy who fixes amps you know?

Really liking the sound regardless. But an amp without reverb, even if just a taste just sounds so flat to me. I do like the way the amp seem to be pretty much uncolored. It's not warm, or harsh, and there isn't even a hint of distortion. The dynamic range is pretty amazing. You can play soft, but then when you dig in, it just gets loud immediately.

It reminds me of that Fargen Blackbird amp that I worked on, but that was supposed to be a Fender copy. So I guess Fargen did a good job, or perhaps Fender did a good job?

Now who is gonna lift this beast onto my bench? Oh Honey, I think your sewing machine bobbin rolled under my amp. Can you put it on this bench so I can check the floor to see if the bobbin is down there? Thanks Hun, you're a peach! Oh I don't see it. No just leave it up there, it's so heavy, I don't want you hurting yourself, you have other amps...... I mean sewing machines you need to lift and take to those sewing classes.

I do need to get some casters asap. Don't want the little woman hurting herself. (Or killing me from scratching the hardwood floor.)

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
I finally got my amp downstairs and up on the bench. I think the reverb tank cables had just pulled out of the RCA receptacle a bit. I took them out and verified the tank was ok, and just plugged them in solidly. When I took it off standby the tank was already making noise. I had left the knob on 9. Now there is almost too much reverb. I’m just never happy I guess.

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
So I changed the speakers out on the Twin last night. Just not a fan of Jensen's?

I was looking through my stockpile. I found an Eminence Legen GB128, which is their version of a Celestion Greenback. I also had another one marked Legend, but is a discontinued model. I don't like Celestion speakers either (Except for the Bluebell or Gold alnico ones. Those are SWEET, but also $275!

So I think I am going to go with the Legen EM12n, which is a neodymium version of the EM12 which is Eminence copy of the Electrovoice EVM12. The EVM12 is a newer version of the Electrovoice SRO/12 which is a fabulous sounding speaker, but it weighs a ton and also costs over $100 each. The twin would have two of them. That is what was in that '69 Fender Deluxe that I worked on for a customer.

So I will try buying just one of them, and try it with the Lil' Texas that I have which is also a neodymium magnet speaker.

I will also be buying a set of 4 power tubes. Either Tung Sol, or Tube Store Select 6L6 tubes. I have a Fender Bassman that needs 4 6L6 tubes, so I will move the Fender tubes to that Fender amp. I will also buy a 12AT7 Electroharmonix tube for the pi tube. That was magical in that Deluxe.

So That's the plan. I should probably put the original speakers in and make some recordings. I like to hear the before and after. Sometimes it just proves I wasted my money on improvements that weren't. Sometimes it startling how much better it gets.

That's the plan.

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
I decided to order another Lil Texas. I have that in my cab I use with the Egnater Rebel 30, and I really like that. I had a Lil Texas already, so this way they will be matched. If you use a speaker with an efficiency or 101dB and another one with it that is 98dB, that is the same as having twice the power in the louder one. This way they will be matched.

I did stick with the plan on tubes. I ordered the Tube Store select 6L6 and Electroharmonix 12at7. But I also added a Tube Store Select 12ax7 for the v1 tube.