10 days til BGU NE Jam IV...

david moon

Attempting the Blues
I don't know if this is appropriate in this thread so please move or delete it if it shouldn't be here.

I figure most people going to the jam are reading this thread so I'd ask if anybody would be interested enough in this for me to bring it to the jam in NY.

It is for sale pretty cheap. I inherited it from a guitar collecting buddy who passed away in 2014 and I've not had a use for it.

It is a Galveston 12 string bass (four courses of 3 strings each a la the Cheap Trick bass player).

This isn't the actual bass, I got this picture from Reverb, but it looks just like this. I tried to take pictures but none of the pictures were as good as this one :)

View attachment 5664
How cheap? I'm getting mixed messages about build quality from online reviews. Case?

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
How cheap? I'm getting mixed messages about build quality from online reviews. Case?

Pretty cheap. I think the original price new was in the order of $299 some 20 years ago. No case, the estate mailed it to me in a lightly padded gig bag which will stay with it. The build seems ok although I haven't done a thorough inspection. It came to me needing a set up which it still needs. I plugged it in to see if it worked when I got it and it did but I put it back in the bag and haven't used it at all. 12 string bass is kind of a specialty sound which isn't my cup of tea. I think it should live with someone who can appreciate it more than I.

I'm driving to NY so I can easily bring it if you have any interest.

Eric

david moon

Attempting the Blues
Worlds Greatest- I would settle for that. I'd pay more than a dollar.

I would be in good company (in no particular order):
McCartney
Duck Dunne
Sting
James Jamerson
Jack Bruce
Jaco
Carole Kaye
Geddy Lee
Flea
Entwistle
J P Jones
Roger Waters
Chris Squire
Vic Wooten
Billy Sheehan
Bill Wyman
Gene Simmons

OK I used this article for some of the names, but a lot I had never heard of.

david moon

Attempting the Blues
I don't know if this is appropriate in this thread so please move or delete it if it shouldn't be here.

I figure most people going to the jam are reading this thread so I'd ask if anybody would be interested enough in this for me to bring it to the jam in NY.

It is for sale pretty cheap. I inherited it from a guitar collecting buddy who passed away in 2014 and I've not had a use for it.

It is a Galveston 12 string bass (four courses of 3 strings each a la the Cheap Trick bass player).

This isn't the actual bass, I got this picture from Reverb, but it looks just like this. I tried to take pictures but none of the pictures were as good as this one :)

View attachment 5664
I tried it out at the jam. The extras strings really didn't do anything for me in terms of "this is a really cool different sound". The only way to play all three strings at a time is with the tip of your finger "flat" on the board, not using just the tip. The way the body is shaped, if you play sitting down without a strap, it slides to the right off your leg.

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
Yes it does require a strap. Thanks for taking a look. It is definitely a bass only for someone who needs that kind of thing :rolleyes: or a collector. It does play much easier when you plug it in than you'd think, but it does require a different technique for sure.

Eric