I envy you retired gomers :-)

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Last night I was supposed to play a fun min-set with the head rhythm guitarist of the "house band" where I do weekly open mics. Had some killer tunes lined up, someone savvy and sage to help me keep better time (I get amped up and start speeding up when I play and sing), and was all primed to have a blast that usually culminates in an after-hours jam session with various folks in the day's lineup.

Nope.

Ended up working a 13+ hour stint yesterday. My client is on the rocks with issues plaguing their latest software release and, well, part of what they pay me for (apart from my movie star looks) is to find trouble and shoot it. I'm mainly a visual and graphics guy but in a prior life I was a software engineer and, well, we're a team and I do what needs to be done.

Anyway, job done, troubles shot fulla holes, but I missed my "gig."

Next week. :Beer:

Chuck

Moderator (One of the Men in Black!)
Staff member
Well, I’m retired as well now! I did enjoy my job but can’t say as I really miss it.

My reason for retirement is than desirable but I had to make the call.

I still get tons of calls from customers and Engineers about systems and Robot problems so I’m not really out of the loop anyway.

Right now, I am wondering how I ever found the time for work anyway.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
I did enjoy my job but can’t say as I really miss it .... Right now, I am wondering how I ever found the time for work anyway.

Heh. I do love what I do and, most of the time, I'm good with the clients I work with. My main whine is how right now I have so much guitar stuff I want to practice and explore and learn, and this damned needing to pay bills and afford food and shelter is crimping my style. :confused:

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
A tractor without a beer holder is in dire need of modification. It's not rocket science!! :D
Alternatively, those hard hats or cowboy hats that hold 2 beers work nicely and can be easily moved from vehicle to vehicle, or even used on your horses.
https://www.ebay.com/p/Cowboy-Drink...s-Holidays/1838412366?iid=181750542299&chn=ps

Retirement - after I retired, my wife and I adopted what we call "CC time" - Coffee at ~8:30 AM, Cocktails at ~4 PM (very flexible).
We have since modified this to "CNC time" - The "N" = nap (anytime).
We now have 2 local grandsons aged 6 months and 7 years, and I simply do not have any spare time it seems.
Always busy. Like Chuck, I wonder how I ever found the time to put in 10 - 16 hour days or more, day after day, often 7 days a week. YUK!!
I do not miss it, even though I loved what I did!

Chuck

Moderator (One of the Men in Black!)
Staff member
Heh. I do love what I do and, most of the time, I'm good with the clients I work with. My main whine is how right now I have so much guitar stuff I want to practice and explore and learn, and this damned needing to pay bills and afford food and shelter is crimping my style. :confused:
I hear you Mark! Luckily, I have everything paid for so I’m in a much better position for retirement.

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
I think that my grandfather had a right concept! The most important thing a man can do is to support and raise his family. He was born in 1890, and went out of his way to help others, regardless of race or religion. It helped to be in San Francisco, where such things were more tolerable. He had many different jobs in his working career, and was the finest man I ever knew! My brother and I consider him to be our “super hero”! You see, grandpa raised us. He never complained about work or brought home pressure from the job. Grandpa enjoyed life, and being retired was a part of it.

Now my concept is, you should enjoy whatever you do in life. I was in the Air Force, worked in the electronics industry, and as a senior programmer, when manufacturing left Silicon Valley. I probably had more pressure from any of those jobs, then I care to express. With the Air Force, there were several life and death situations. As far as my other positions, incompetent management put pressure on us, which was not necessary, but you had to deal with it.

Being retired has been enjoyable. However, you must become accustomed to it. You have concerns about income, expenditures, health, and loosing family members and friends. You do whatever you can to make your life more meaningful. It is good to have a routine, like going for a walk, exercise, and our big event – going to StarBucks! We have made some nice friends at that place. Playing my musical instruments is important to me, and always has been, for the last 70 years.

My wife and I enjoy each others company, and help each other in every way we can. This has always been the case. The difference between working and retirement seems to be the source of pressure. You still have lots to be concerned about, but more time to yourself.

What seems strange is that we have less time to do the things we love to accomplish. When you are working you have to wisely spend each hour of the day. You schedule and prioritize your day. When you are retired, there is more time to yourself, but you have to use it wisely. It is the greatest gift you have.

Now I am off to do a bit of yard work, before it gets too hot outside! ;) Then for a nice music session! :cool::Beer:

Tom

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
I was retired for a while when the recession finally stuck the knife into my Landscape Construction biz after 15 years.

But sitting around all day was not my thing and so I went back to work, first for Home Depot and more recently for Lowe's.
I really like what I do and I'm more at home being around people.

I recently was named "Employee of the month" and was asked to become permanent (I was just seasonal) and they even gave me a hefty raise.

I like to stay busy.
The hours are a bit schizo but it's fun and I stay plugged in to the world.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I retired much earlier then I had planned.
I could not imagine waking up without a purposeful agenda for the day.
I enjoyed the work I did and thrived on managing others.

It took me about a year to wind down.
Since then, my days always seam to be filled with purpose and I'm always busy doing something.
The main difference is, 90% of my time is managed by me!

I'm loving it!

Cowboy Bob

Horse Player/Guitar Wrangler
3 1/2 more years puts me where I want to be financially to call 'er quits on corporate life. Well, stop going to the office anyway. I could go now, but want to see if I can hang on. The studio work is growing steadily, and bringing in a little bread.

I'm and engineer that has to manage people. I don't really care for that, but I still get to do some engineering, if only to shoot trouble and show off.

Once asked how many people work at XXXXXXXXX XXXXXX, I answered about half. :p

paul wilson white

BLUES.THE POWER OF ALL MUSIC
Well I've always felt guilty for being retired at just 34 im 40 years old now.
I got bored went to college to learn how to build guitars,i now have set a business up which is just in the early stage but growing,I do a lot of set ups for the local guitar shop and local musicians and I buy and sell vintage guitars.
My previous life,I was in the Marines i spent many years serving all over the world.
When I left I entered the restaurant business with a friend of mine we set up up lots of resturants then we sold them in 2011 and we both retired.
It was a hard choice as my little girl was born in 2011 and was born with one of the most complex conditions in the world NKH,she would need round the clock care and my freind said let's just sell up I've got kids and you have kids lets retire.
But she is doing so well for years I set up a little business which she loves to be around she loves polishing the guitars and is awesome at it.
My lessons of life come from my granma and grandad which I miss dearly.
Family was at the heart and helping others.but to say when you disagree with something and to agree when the truth is in front of you.
To be kind and to listen to others you may learn something new.
This as served me well so far.

Bob630

Blues Newbe
Yeah having food with your meals is habit forming. LOL