Finger Picking the Blues?

KenHotz

Blues Newbie
In all of Griff's BGU lessons he uses a pick. Sometimes I feel more in control when I finger pick. Do any of the rest of you think the same. Are there many Blues players who finger pick?

jmin

Student Of The Blues
In the AcousticBGU course, it's almost all finger picking style. I think a broad generalization would be that electric blues players use picks, acoustic players use fingers. I think that being able to use both would be a real asset. I'm sure folks will chime in with some great finger-picking Blues players...(both electric and acoustic!).

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
Jeff Beck, Lindsey Buckingham (Fleetwood Mac), Robby Krieger (the Doors), Mark Knopfler (Dire Straights), are all known for playing electric and all finger pick. I'm sure I could give more examples but those guitarists always come to mind first. I've seen Eric Clapton pick up and electric and finger pick although he is known for playing electric with a pick. He plays a lot of his acoustic stuff with just his fingers. I've seen Joe Bonamassa play with a pick, hybrid pick and finger pick from one song to the next depending on the texture he is going for. I prefer to hybrid pick. And that is to play with a flat pick but also use the 2nd and 3rd fingers. :Beer:

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
The BIL I talk about most often is fingerstyle acoustic. His older brother, with whom he gigged as a duo for decades, plays a Tele hybrid style. Both of them have played a lot of blues and blues-style stuff in their "careers."

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
In addition to those fingerstyle pickers noted previously there is a whole world of acoustic fingerstyle blues out there!

david moon

Attempting the Blues
And then there are some that "hide the pick". If you watch the videos, one minute they are playing with a pick, then they are playing with thumb and fingers with the pick stashed somewhere, and then it reappears. Joe B does it. When I asked Quin Sullivan about it he said yes he does it.