What to play over Stormy Monday T Bone changes

MarkO

Bb Demented
Hi
Been looking for some advice/guidance on what to play (scales etc) over the Stormy Changes, in particular the second half chords (Am, Bm, Bbm, Am, D9, Eb9 etc)

Been checking out the various solo options in the BGU courses but all the slow blues options follow the standard quick change 12 bar pattern.

Thanks for any ideas
Mark

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
Did you check out Voodoo Monday? It's a Steve Travato course, so I don't know if it's still available, and probably isn't included in all access pass if it is.

B

Bolar

G minor pentatonic works in the first part, then G major pentatonic and in the end back to G minor pentatonic.

Btw it is often played , so soloes are over standard blues progression, not the stormy Monday changes.

MarkO

Bb Demented
G minor pentatonic works in the first part, then G major pentatonic and in the end back to G minor pentatonic.

Btw it is often played , so soloes are over standard blues progression, not the stormy Monday changes.

Yeah I often see it played as a straight slow blues at jams. But it is the Stormy changes that makes it interesting and what I am playing around with to make the solo more ‘colourful’. And it is a bit of a learning exercise too.

B

Bolar

Yeah I often see it played as a straight slow blues at jams. But it is the Stormy changes that makes it interesting and what I am playing around with to make the solo more ‘colourful’. And it is a bit of a learning exercise too.
Couldn't agree more (y)

MarkO

Bb Demented
Did you check out Voodoo Monday? It's a Steve Travato course, so I don't know if it's still available, and probably isn't included in all access pass if it is.

Hi
I did buy Voodoo Blues when it first came out but don’t recall getting any Voodoo Monday bonus. I have checked in My Courses on-line and VB is there but no sign of any Voodoo Monday.

If Griff is listening, any chance of getting hold of this?

I have googled the net but can’t se it anywhere

Thanks
Mark

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
In my portal Voodoo Monday shows as a seperate course. I seem to remember it was a seperatly charged course which you got free if you went for the introductional discount. After some period it was then charged seperatly.

cheers

Al.

MarkO

Bb Demented
In my portal Voodoo Monday shows as a seperate course. I seem to remember it was a seperatly charged course which you got free if you went for the introductional discount. After some period it was then charged seperatly.

cheers

Al.

Thanks Al,

I thought I had bought it at the start so the intro offer would have been active, but it is ages ago so I must be wrong.

In any event, if you are listening Griff, I would be happy to pay for the VM add-on course if it is still possible to get it. Also, I am an AAP member so maybe it can come with that?

Cheers
Mark

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
Thanks Al,

I thought I had bought it at the start so the intro offer would have been active, but it is ages ago so I must be wrong.

In any event, if you are listening Griff, I would be happy to pay for the VM add-on course if it is still possible to get it. Also, I am an AAP member so maybe it can come with that?

Cheers
Mark

Put an @Griff if you want him to see this

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Thanks Al,

Cheers
Mark

You should send @Griff a PM. Griff explained when he first opened the AAP that material by other contributors (Bob Murnahan's 'Clapton Torn Down' and Steve Trovato's material) were not included in the AAP. He can remedy your situation. The rest of us can only speculate.

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
Hi
I havesent a PM to @Griff so hope he sees that.
Thanks for your help
Mark
@MarkO I didn't get a message about it, make sure you do it as a conversation or I might have missed it.

Within that conversation, send me your email address so I can look up the order and figure it all out. We'll get it sorted, no sweat.

For what it's worth, I do one of 2 things over that section:

1 - for Amin, Bmin I play G major blues, and even over the Bbmin I stick to G major blues, at the 2nd A minor I go to Aminor blues, and then at the Cminor I either do Cminor blues or back to G minor blues.
2 - I change pentatonic/blues scales for every chord - A minor blues, B minor blues, Bb minor blues, A minor blues, C minor Blues, then G blues for the turnaround.

Griff

tommytubetone

Great Lakes
@MarkO I didn't get a message about it, make sure you do it as a conversation or I might have missed it.

Within that conversation, send me your email address so I can look up the order and figure it all out. We'll get it sorted, no sweat.

1 - for Amin, Bmin I play G major blues, and even over the Bbmin I stick to G major blues, at the 2nd A minor I go to Aminor blues, and then at the Cminor I either do Cminor blues or back to G minor blues.
2 - I change pentatonic/blues scales for every chord - A minor blues, B minor blues, Bb minor blues, A minor blues, C minor Blues, then G blues for the turnaround.

Griff
Gonna have to give that a try. Thanks! (y)

MarkO

Bb Demented

Griff
Hi @Griff
Thanks fo that, really interesting. I will be working on it. Maybe a subject for a Construction Kit style leson?
I notice you say about the scale to use over the C minor. I have your changes for Stormy from one of you blog posts and they are almost exactly the same as we play, except the last couple of changes (after the second Am) are Eb9 - D9, no Cm. I realise there are lots of variations on the SM changes. Would you just play Gm blues over the Eb9/D9?

I have sent you a PM with my email address. If you could sort out Voodoo Monday for me that would be great.
Thanks for all you help, as always.
Mark