when lessons go bad

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
For over a month now, i have done the penatonic mastery lessons 6 days a week without fail.......last night, I couldnt even do the scales properly, nothing worked, I mean, it was bad enought it was like a first week player trying to play box 1

Basic hammer ons, I actually had to think about................15 minutes into is, I realized I was just going to get ticked off, grabbed the acoustic and did some open chord progressions, I figured all the years of playing those, it would work

But, for those that gig, or attend regular jams.................what do you do ?

I tried stretching my fingers, putting them in warm water, anything to get them warmed up, they just acted like I was running in water. We are doing some open mics soon, and I cant have my hands refusing to work

How do you guys get by this ?

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Hmmm, Well I've certainly had that happen when practicing and I've had "brain farts" on stage, but it sounds like maybe you need a break from that particular practice schedule.
I guess, in the end, all I can say is that when just starting out (first performing in public), EXPECT to make mistakes and occasionally sound bad, but GET OVER IT!
You have to be as prepared as you can be, but you have to be able to relax up there (nerves and tension will cause more problems). Realize that even if you bomb, no one will die and you will get another chance to redeem yourself at the next jam. Plus on the up side they will all remember how bad you WERE and how much you have improved!

Bob630

Blues Newbe
I have had that happen, when it does I just walk away for awhile. Doesn’t pay to get frustrated. That always seems to work for me, hope it does for you also.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
I'm feelin' it. :confused:

Since I started playing out (open mics vs paying gigs, but so far as I'm concerned there isn't much difference except the absence of a-hole venue owners) I've been on a weekly schedule of trying to get material ready. Tomorrow night the lead player I teamed up with and I debut our first joint blues set (he backed out of last week, wanted more time) and last night I fired up the Nace to (yet again) go over the chords for the rhythm parts. Could not find a single one. I might as well have never learned them.

Methinks it's burnout, and my solution was to retire with a dram of single malt and just listen to the tunes and let the fingers have some time off. :Beer:

Elio

Student Of The Blues
For over a month now, i have done the penatonic mastery lessons 6 days a week without fail.......last night, I couldnt even do the scales properly, nothing worked, I mean, it was bad enought it was like a first week player trying to play box 1

Basic hammer ons, I actually had to think about................15 minutes into is, I realized I was just going to get ticked off, grabbed the acoustic and did some open chord progressions, I figured all the years of playing those, it would work

But, for those that gig, or attend regular jams.................what do you do ?

I tried stretching my fingers, putting them in warm water, anything to get them warmed up, they just acted like I was running in water. We are doing some open mics soon, and I cant have my hands refusing to work

Step away from the guitar! You are creating anxiety. Seriously, take a break for a day or two and come back to one specific task for a short time, then take a break and try again later. Like Griff often says, short focused practice sessions are often more productive than prolonged.

sloslunas

NM Blues
If you make your guitar playing like it is work/job then you may need to slow down a bit. I totally agree with everything that was said above...

Steve

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member

Frustration always precedes progress... as has been said just take a step back, your brain is working on things in the background and doesn't require your assistance at this time :)

You don't have to stop playing, and in fact, I would encourage you to play - just play something else.

Perhaps you have a song you'd like to work on, or a different lesson? Just keep it to things that are very different from what you've been doing because your brain is giving you clear signals that it needs some alternate input right now. It'll serve you best to listen ;)

Randy S

Blues Junior
Happens to me occasionally also. I have days when my fingers seem like silly putty, all sense of rhythm has gone spastic, and I can't remember any of the chords, scales, licks, solos, etc. that just yesterday I had down cold. Usually happens when I have something other than guitar on my mind. My experience is that it is a temporary thing. Take a break and come back to it tomorrow.

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
Yeah, like that, my fingers felt like silly putty............I woke up this morning and the joints were swollen, I am thinking maybe I have overworked them. Problem is, I am so excited about this course, I may pushed it a little too much.

I am gonna relax tonight and put a heating pad on my hand

Shodai

Blues Junior
All work and no play makes sdbrit68 a dull boy... Or something like that.

As has already been said, take a break. Continuing to practice when you've become frustrated will only compound your frustration, and you'll end up reinforcing how to play it wrong.

My drum teacher used to tell me, "music is meant to be played. That's why it's calls playing music, and not working music"

Step away from the lesson and play something fun, for the sake of playing something fun and for nothing else. It will help.

Elio

Student Of The Blues
Yeah, like that, my fingers felt like silly putty............I woke up this morning and the joints were swollen, I am thinking maybe I have overworked them. Problem is, I am so excited about this course, I may pushed it a little too much.

I am gonna relax tonight and put a heating pad on my hand

If they are swollen, rest and go with the ice rather than heat. ...that's according to my wife, the PT.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Gotta take an aside to sing the praises of the PT gods. A few years ago I was a candidate for knee replacement surgery. My doc and I decided to try one last thing first, that being a PT regimen. That genius worked with me for seven months, and the exercises moved my kneecap to a place where the pain and immobility just went away. It's not come back, and I will be forever grateful for that outcome.

Here's to the torture goons! :Beer:

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
Gotta take an aside to sing the praises of the PT gods. A few years ago I was a candidate for knee replacement surgery. My doc and I decided to try one last thing first, that being a PT regimen. That genius worked with me for seven months, and the exercises moved my kneecap to a place where the pain and immobility just went away. It's not come back, and I will be forever grateful for that outcome.

Here's to the torture goons! :Beer:

Yes, all joking aside, those folks have saved me from the scalpel many times! Much of the surgery done today could be avoided if people followed they're regimens!

MarkO

Bb Demented
Have you seen this study on work/practice regimes?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pomodoro_Technique

Basically it suggest breaking sessions into 25 minute chunks max, followed by a 5 minute break. A real break, stare out the window, meditate, yoga, anything to relax.

I am always a bit sceptical about these things but I tried this and it really works. I just make a cup of tea in my break, but then I am English :)

Not sure about the tomato timer though :)
Cheers
Mark