Solo for Jimmy Reed shuffle in A

MarkO

Bb Demented
Hi
I am trying to 'build' a solo to fit with a Jimmy Reed shuffle song we do in A. (Baby What you Want me to do). Original was done in E but our singer needs it in A.
From the plethora of great example solos and licks available in the All Access catalog, anybody got any suggestions where best to start looking for inspiration?
Anybody done something with this song already?
Cheers
Mark

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I'd look at BGU Solo 5. The Jimmy Reed version is much slower, but I think Solo 5 can be slowed down to make it work.

MarkO

Bb Demented
Hi
Thanks for that. We do the song a bit quicker than the cool slow rolling version JR did anyway so that sounds like it may work slowed down just a bit.
I will take a listen and post back. Maybe add it to the 'Songs that work with Griffs solos' list :)
Thanks
Mark

MarkO

Bb Demented
Hey Bill

Well that would be my target eventually but I am making a bit of a transition from rhythm playing to getting some lead stuff under my fingers I know the scales fairly well but all my attempts at soling sound like a cat walking up and down the scale :). So I am thinking I need some vocabulary in my hands before I inflict my solos on the world! And as I play in a band I feel it needs to be half decent before I go public, so I figured start with some examples from the master, just wasn't sure which one. I checked all the 'Songs that work with Griffs solos' listing in the forum post but couldn't really see anything that obviously sat in a mid tempo Jimmy Reed style 12 bar shuffle groove for this song, maybe I missed something?
I will try the more up tempo swing solo in BGU suggested above, and slow it down a bit, see how that sits.

Thanks
Mark

Randy S

Blues Junior
Another option is to build a solo from the Solo Construction Kit-Shuffle version. I have built solos for several songs from that source and they all work well .

MarkO

Bb Demented
Hi Randy

Thanks for that, didn't think of it, great idea, I will take a look tonight. Be fun to build something from that which I know will work. If I tried using my own existing knowledge it would have sounded rubbish for sure! :)

MarkO

Bb Demented
Wow he is a bit good! Nice example of building up in a solo. Loads of nice locks to steal there :)
Thanks for that

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
Just keep it simple- like the video shows-. Bout as easy as it gets. Even when Elvis did the song, Scotty Moore kept it basic----the UP-BEAT tempo ain't JRs style. His harmonica carries most of his songs. just mt 2 cents....Jimmy Reed is Jimmy Reed....