Marshall Closeout

BignJames

Blues Newbie
Got this email from Sweetwater today

Hi James,

Starting immediately we'll be closing out the remaining Marshall DSL40C combo amps for $399.99! This is an amazing gigging or practice combo from Marshall.

ItemID DSL40C
- 1x12" Celestion 70/80 Speaker
- 40-watt, EL34 powered (selectable down to 20-watt)
- 2-channels (Classic Gain / Ultra Gain) with independent reverb
- 3-band EQ with presence control
- Footswitch included for channel switching and reverb on/off

Thinking about it.....anybody got one?

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Got this email from Sweetwater today

Hi James,

Starting immediately we'll be closing out the remaining Marshall DSL40C combo amps for $399.99! This is an amazing gigging or practice combo from Marshall.

ItemID DSL40C
- 1x12" Celestion 70/80 Speaker
- 40-watt, EL34 powered (selectable down to 20-watt)
- 2-channels (Classic Gain / Ultra Gain) with independent reverb
- 3-band EQ with presence control
- Footswitch included for channel switching and reverb on/off

Thinking about it.....anybody got one?

Ask the Andertons boys; it's long been their solution for their "sound like <x> without breaking the bank" series. :)

Cleotis

Boiled Eggs Rock
I've got the DSL40CST from Sweetwater. Essentially the same but the CST has the Celestion Creamback in it. I like it a LOT. So much so that it convinced me to get another Marshall head instead of the Mesa Dual Rectifier that had been planned. For that price, it's a no brainer. Get two if you can. If it's too high pitched for you, you can easily and non-destructively take C19 out by using a low temperature soldering iron and lifting one contact off the board. If you ever want to put it back, just reheat the joint and stick it back on. But you should be good just playing it very loudly for a couple of months to break in the speaker.

The Quilter Mach 2 in that video does nail the sound of the Marshall, though the quilter is twice the price.
$400 is a good price from Sweetwater for that Marshall combo amp.

If I had room for or desire for another tube combo amp i might jump on this deal. We all acknowledge that need has nothing to do with the decision when we are taking about getting new gear. It comes down to whether we have the money, the space or any self-restraint. Currently my practice is equally split between my solid state amps (Fender Mustang and Peavey Vypr) and combo tube amps (Bugera and a Fender Super Champ). I’ve come close to buying Mesa Boogie Lone Star (tube) or Carvin Nomad (tube) couple of times for different reasons but never pulled the trigger. I had and really enjoyed a Peavey Transtube (solid state analog) amp for a while, so I get the attraction of the Quilter. I seem to rotate a used amp about every 18 months, and I enjoy vicariously anticipating new gear with you guys through this forum.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Yes, my Quilter was more money, as much as many good tube amps out there. But I really love it! It does so much more than one tube amp can do. And across the board, it puts my Mustang III in the back seat tone-wise. I have a very rare Lee Jackson XLS 100w tube combo with built-in attenuator, essentially a Marshall on steroids, and my Quilter is its equal in all respects.
http://www.leejackson.com/

Ted_Zeppelin

I’ll agree with you so that both of us are wrong.
I bought my DSL40C shortly after they came out with them. I think I paid $599 (maybe $699, can’t remember). Still have it and play it regularly. If you were thinking of getting one then the $400 price would be a good deal. It’s a Marshall, so it won’t be perfect for some types of music but it is still a fun amp to crank up. I also like the 20/40 watt switch.

Cleotis

Boiled Eggs Rock
Last Fall, just 7 or 8 months ago, Sweetwater had both the 40C and 40CST for the same price of $699.99. There was a small price drop just before Christmas then another small drop earlier this year. Now this massive Closeout Deal.

DannyB

2 miles from Jim Beam. Oh! Pleasent Hope!
If you love the Marshall sound, jump on that!

Since it’s been mentioned, if you find it too bright, change the 1st two preamp tubes to a darker tube. I don’t recommend that you take a soldering iron to an amp that’s under warranty.

Here’s what Celestion says about speaker break in:

“Important Note! Before breaking it in it's advisable to "warm up" the speaker gently for a few minutes with low-level playing or background hum.

Break in a speaker with a fat, clean tone: turn up the power amp volume to full, and control the level with the preamp gain. Use a level that will be quite loud, but not painful in a normal size room.

Have the bass and mid up full, and the treble at least half. On your guitar, use the middle pick up position (if your guitar has more than one pick up) and play for up to an hour, using lots of open chords, and chunky percussive playing. This will get the cone moving, and should excite all the cone modes and get everything to settle in nicely. The speaker will continue to mature over the years, but this will get it most of the way to tonal perfection in the shortest time.”

:Beer:

Cleotis

Boiled Eggs Rock
Plus, it's a Marshall. A lot of amp companies try to compare their own offerings to Marshall. And sure, they may get a couple of tones to sound like a Marshall. But only a Marshall is a Marshall.

Oh yeah, if it is too bright for you and you don't want to use a warm soldering iron, you can do your mod destructively by just clipping C19 with wire-cutters. That's what a lot of folks do. But, I like having the easy way to reengage the capacitor if desired.

Norfolk Bill

norfolk uk, just knoodling along
the bright cap mod is an option on a few amps,,,,it depends on how high you run the master as it increases the cap has less and less effect,,,
its basically in the curcuit to give a little brightness at lower volumes. I did it on a couple of vox amps but then reverted to stock,,,,,
it can have an effect on od pedals but again when pushed in volume as they were intended the cap has less and less effect,, i guess its one of the drawbacks to running amps at lower volumes that in theory they were designed for,,,or they would not have added it

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Okay, I d00d it. Just got paid for a lucrative gig and the GAS money I get to skim off my invoices (deal I struck with the missus) was burning the proverbial hole. I added a creamback speaker thanks to my researching this beastie last night. As for the brightness cap, we'll see. I do loves me some dark tones but I also tend to run the master really high and adjust gain to taste so it might not affect me. If it does I'll waste no time dragging out the soldering iron and decoupling one end of the cap; I'm quite confident I can wrap it and leave it easily reversible if needed. I've amassed no small amount of solder jockey experience lately. :confused:

Why?

I do want to keep going with learning to use proper valve amps, and using them sans pedals (apart from a tuner and maybe one OD). The Blues Jr is nice but it's time to up my valve amp game. Before I pulled the trigger last night I pored over many video demos and reviews and, though my sound is more Fender-ish, I do like what I was hearing, I'm confident it can deliver in the tonal ranges I prefer, and the price was way better than the Blues Deluxe I was considering. Shane in particular convinced me, as well as of the benefits of swapping out the speaker. He's also the enabling bassid that got me into the Peavey Bandit for my main SS ride but that's a whole nuther story. :Beer:

sloslunas

NM Blues
This is a seriously good deal. I currently have an amp that would make you see God. That being said...I am thinking about adding this for my friends that come to the Compound and like Marshall's. I personally would most likely never play it...just for friends. Carry on boys...

Steve

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
I currently have an amp that would make you see God.

Wow, that sounds crazy interesting. I confess I don't 'member which one that is. Care to remind me? If ever I need a divine manifestation it might be useful to know that info. ;)