RobertMoriarty

Blues Newbie
Hi all ... It's Bob from Portola Valley, California (about 35 miles south of San Francisco). I just got started with BGU this week and look forward to sharing tips and ideas with everyone on the Forum. I've been playing guitar off and on (mostly off) for the past 44 years, and am looking to hone my chops now that I'm semi-retired and have a little more free time. I have a 2004 Fender Stratocaster (sunburst), a Fender Blues Jr. tube amp, and a Fender Mustang GT 40 solid state amp (use the latter primarily for doing quick recordings of my mediocre playing). On the acoustic side, I have a Martin D-28 and a Martin DM. Ultimately, I'd like to refine my soloing so that I don't appear to be playing scales all the time :-( All the best to all of you!

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
Welcome to the forum Robert! Good to have you with us!! I've got those Martin 28s too!! I just restrung one yesterday!! :thumbup:

Ted_Zeppelin

I’ll agree with you so that both of us are wrong.
Welcome aboard Bob. Check out the Virtual Jam Room at the bottom of the main forum page. This is a good tool to help you improve your soloing. All it takes is a little recording knowledge and the nerve to put your recordings out here for all to hear.

artyman

Fareham UK
Hi and welcome from one of the UK mob, great bunch on here with plenty of advice and encouragement, and yes take a wander down to the basement and join in on the Virtual Jam Room, great fun.

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
Welcome Bob. Any question, just ask! Let us know what you are working on at this time and what your goals are.

I am not too far from you as I am in Sunnyvale. I worked at AMPEX in Redwood City, as an electronics engineer, and then went into programming. Spent lots of time working in Palo Alto. I have been playing guitar for over 65 years.

Tom

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Welcome!
Looks like your all set on gear so, don't read any posts in the GEAR discussions, you could be convinced you need more.
Looking forward to your participation.

jmin

Student Of The Blues
Hey, Bob! Welcome! I'm in San Francisco (about 35 miles north of Portola Valley! ;)). Sounds like you're a perfect fit to BGU! I think you're going to like it here. Griff is an incredible player and teacher - especially for us senior folk! Enjoy!

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Welcome, Robert!!! You have joined a brand new extended family here ... lots of great people. Never be afraid to ask any question, there is no such thing as a "dumb" question! Be sure to participate in the Gear Talk and Forum pages, and post pics of your guitar and amp in the "Show us your guitar" and "Show us your amp" threads in the Gear Talk page! Oh … and the VJR (Virtual Jam Room) is TONS of fun, so be sure to drop in there as well! Glad to have you with us!

Welcome to the group!

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Hi Bob, Welcome to the Forum. Sounds like you are in the same boat as many of us.

twbuff

The hurrier I go, the behinder I get!
Welcome, Robert. Lots of great people here, willing to share, help, and - on occasion - poke a little fun at one another - all in good humor though. Good luck, come back often.

Shodai

Blues Junior
Welcome to the forum. You've just become a member of an extraordinary group of people, and there is not a friendlier or more helpful forum for a blues guitarist anywhere on the internet!

Drop by often, join in the conversations. As great as the course materials are (and they are great) you will find a wealth of information and a lot of support and encouragement from the members here.