Electric Guitars Great set of pickups

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
In that first video you posted, the Darkburst neck sounds almost identical to my Crossroads, just more punch ... it's not any warmer or darker to me.

Yeah, it's hard for me to find words for what I was hearing. Liked the sound of the Crossroads neck, liked what little I could hear of the Godwood neck, liked what I heard out of the Darkburst neck a little more. Warm? Fat? Punchy? Heh. Maybe we need a language just for describing guitar tones. I just know that after several re-listens something about the Darkburst grabbed me more than the others. I also know it'll have its own tone once I've installed it into my own guitar and play it through my gear, but I think I'm going to be starting from a good place.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Well, I am sure you will like them and I'm sure you will let us know!

You bet!

Jim said he hopes to ship by Tuesday, and the rest of the stuff I need to do the full mod should be here by Wednesday or so. I'll make sure I take pictures of the work, and record some noodling once it's all in place so you can hear.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
You bet!

Jim said he hopes to ship by Tuesday, and the rest of the stuff I need to do the full mod should be here by Wednesday or so. I'll make sure I take pictures of the work, and record some noodling once it's all in place so you can hear.
I might put on a jam track and run mine through its paces in all three switch positions as well just for comparison's sake. Not that it will really tell anybody much ... my Mustang III Fender Twin preset probably doesn't sound like their amp anyway ... or yours either for that matter. Plus remember I am using no-load tone pots, and that's the position I play in most of the time ... with no capacitor coloring the pickup at all. All it would probably result in is a long thread of people saying any difference between yours and mine is that yours is a semi-hollow, when 90% of any such difference is really the amps and settings, etc. Also, with my independent volume controls, there isn't just one middle position tone, there is a very wide spectrum of them ... all bridge, all neck, or any mix of them.

Last edited:

HotLks

Blues - it's in me and it's got to come out.
Excellent thread guys! I'll be revisiting if I decide I can't get what I want out of my Epi G400 Pro with their Alnico Classics. So far I've been having great fun getting what they have to offer with the usual minor tweaks to how they're set.

See you down the road! :thumbup:

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
HotLks, your Epi G400 Pro has the same pickups in it as my Epi ES339 Pro. Those are EXCELLENT pickups. But you could rather dramatically up the versatility of your guitar by wiring it for independent volume controls and 50's tone wiring.

HotLks

I've made a note of these mod's yesterday while catching up on the posts. I believe you've posted everything I would need to know to do that.

When I'm ready to make these mod's I may have some questions for you. I'm not very experienced in electronics in general.

Thank you RR!

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
I've made a note of these mod's yesterday while catching up on the posts. I believe you've posted everything I would need to know to do that.

When I'm ready to make these mod's I may have some questions for you. I'm not very experienced in electronics in general.

Thank you RR!

Hotlicks, I just finished wiring up my new GFS XV-500 with independent volume controls and 50's wiring. I'll put it all right here in one place for you. Here is the main diagram I used.
50s LP WIRING - PREFERRED.jpg
The above diagram will give you 50's tone wiring, but it will not give you independent volume controls! For independent volume controls, just swap the red wires on the volume pots with the blue and green wires on each pot, leaving everything else exactly the same.

Independent volume controls result in a little treble loss when you turn the volume down. To negate that I also installed a little treble bleed network on both volume pots.
This worked slicker'n snot on a hot buttered Teflon cookie sheet. With my selector in the middle position I can blend in as much of either the bridge or neck that I want.

Last edited:

HotLks

Thank you sir! I can imagine how it works and see how I'd never leave the middle selector position. I have a treble bleed mod on a couple of Strats. Not sure if I'll use that on the G400. But will test with it.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
HotLks, other than the little caps and resistors for the treble bleeds, you probably don't have to buy anything at all, just swap a few wires around.