I Couldn't Resist (NGD)

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
OK, so I recently quit my job (long story about nothing) and maybe it isn't the best time to be shelling out money for things like this...but I figured, what the hell? You only live once, right?

So I bought a Takamine GN51.

I got it from Reverb (actually LightSpeed Music LLC) at a real good price.
It's "used" but I can't find a mark on it and it was all set up and tuned (just need to lower the action a bit, which is pretty typical) and the preamp/tuner even had a new battery.

I've been looking for an acoustic that didn't feel like a foreign object in my hands -- something that felt more like my electrics and this is it! The fretboard has the same specs as my Epi's and the NEX body fits me like a glove and the cutaway makes it feel far more comfortable than my Martin dreadnought.

Unplugged, it's not as "boomy" as my Martin but that's exactly what I was looking for -- something I can just pick up and play without having to light up the house. And when I pipe it into an amp it enters another dimension.

I'm real glad I pulled the trigger on this! (y)

Tak51.jpg

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Very nice! My bother-in-law has had the same Takamine acoustic since he started gigging in the 80s and it sounds divine when he plays it.

sloslunas

NM Blues
I bought one of these for $250. Mint condition...made in Japan...and built like a brick sh*t house. We have very extreme temperature changes here in the high desert...so acoustics can be a bit Iffy. This guitar plays like a dream and is so durable you could build a house with it! Since you just posted this I went in and played it for the first time in over a year...still in near perfect tune!! Enjoy brother...you done good.

Steve

https://reverb.com/item/2976679-takamine-ef444s-tbs-2005-sunburst-only-812-made

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
I bought one of these for $250. Mint condition...made in Japan...and built like a brick sh*t house. We have very extreme temperature changes here in the high desert...so acoustics can be a bit Iffy. This guitar plays like a dream and is so durable you could build a house with it! Since you just posted this I went in and played it for the first time in over a year...still in near perfect tune!! Enjoy brother...you done good.

Steve

https://reverb.com/item/2976679-takamine-ef444s-tbs-2005-sunburst-only-812-made

Thanks Steve.

That guitar you have has a perfect "guitar pick" burst and the body shape makes it jump even more!

This is the first time I've bought anything through Reverb and I must say that they do things right.
The actual seller was LightSpeed Music LLC (out of Illinois) and after I made the purchase, they sent me an invoice and this:

They call it their "Fresh Pro Setup":

Although this guitar played “well enough to sell” when it arrived here at LightSpeed Music, I have just given it a full "post factory" setup. The truss rod was checked and adjusted. Then, the frets were leveled, crowned and polished. These first two steps allowed me to lower the saddle and nut a bit and improve the action, while still keeping the guitar free of fret buzz. The fretboard and bridge were conditioned and the nut slots were lubed and polished. The electronics were tested and given a protective application of contact cleaner and lube. Everything was snugged up and then it was polished. Lastly, it was given a fresh set of S.I.T. 80/20 Golden Bronze strings gauged .012" to .052".
I'll be damned if that's not exactly how this guitar showed up.
By law, they have to call it "used" but if there is a mark or scratch on this thing, I'd need a microscope to find it.
The action is a bit high for my taste but that's a simple fix and I'll get to that. But otherwise, this guitar is perfect.

It's nice to see that there are still some people in this world who still care about doing things the right way!

DannyB

2 miles from Jim Beam. Oh! Pleasent Hope!
Ya done good!! Beautiful guitar and I dig the single cut!

The heart desires what the heart desires, no matter what the brain may say!! And yes, ya only live once, so go for it!! :thumbup:

I've had the same experience every time I've bought on Reverb. Five purchases I believe.

:Beer:

jmin

Student Of The Blues
Congratulations, JP! That's a great looking guitar! I almost bought a Takamine about 20 years ago, it felt and sounded great! Wish I'd pulled the trigger.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Every Takamine I have ever played (6 I think) sounded and played just great! I am no acoustic connoisseur by any stretch, but every one impressed me! I had a Martin D18 when I played several of those, and they put my D18 to shame (in my opinion).

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
Every Takamine I have ever played (6 I think) sounded and played just great! I am no acoustic connoisseur by any stretch, but every one impressed me! I had a Martin D18 when I played several of those, and they put my D18 to shame (in my opinion).

I've always liked the look of Takamine's and when I saw this one I had to go for it.
I got it for a hundred bucks cheaper than new, its in mint condition and it has a bound fretboard (that's a thing with me).

Not only that but it's a 25.5" scale and that makes the 12 ga. strings a lot easier to play. When I shave the saddles a bit (to lower the action) I may try some 11's but the 12's would be fine (something I never thought I'd say about acoustic strings).

Right now, (except for being unemployed), I'd say I'm a pretty happy camper! : )

Elio

Student Of The Blues
...my last experience with Reverb is when I bought a digital tuner at whatever ridiculously low price they were offering it at. They ended up sending me 6 of them by mistake, so I emailed and asked if they wanted the overages back. They apologized for the mistake and told me they were glad it was in my favor and to just give them away to my friends.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Wow, and 12s. Interested to learn how you get on with those. I have 11s on my acoustics and just last week bumped up my 335 to 11s as well. I've always had fairly strong hands and I'm also always on a quest to "warm up" my sound. What that actually means I have no frikken idea, but upping the string gauges seems to be getting closer to wherever-the-hell-it-is I think I'm going. :cautious:

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
OK, so I tuned in to NFL Red Zone, got my little tool kit and shaved down the saddles to get the action lower.
I put on a new set of D'Addario 12's --- yes, 12's --- and now I love this guitar even more!

I've never been comfortable with 12's until I got this guitar. But it sounds great and plays great.
It's like we were meant to be together. : )

Anyway, back to football.

HotLks

Blues - it's in me and it's got to come out.
Thou temptest me to aquire another flavor of acoustic. Enjoy!

See you down the road! :thumbup:

Jack

Blues Junior
Very nice! I've been browsing those Takamine acoustics lately. I've also got a Martin Dreadnought that feels like a foreign object in my hands lol. I mean, it looks like this:

Nak9d9P.jpg

But it feels like this:
RXAnCCF.jpg