New to the Forum, but not new to BGU. I picked up Griff's course back in October.

WanaBClapton

Blues Newbie
I picked up Griff's course Beginning Blue course back in October as a precurser to Blues Guitar Unleashed. I thought I would breeze right through it, but am having difficulty with the Full Out Blues lesson. I get it and I can play it while reading. I just can't seem to play along with Griff very well. Strange song in my opinion. Sorry Griff. It just doesn't swing the way I need it to I guess.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
Welcome to the forum wannabclapton!! Good to have you with us!! :thumbup:

Just keep playing those tunes. They will all of a sudden be sounding great!!

jmin

Student Of The Blues
...I just can't seem to play along with Griff very well. ...
Welcome to the club! (He’s a seasoned pro...) I think it’s a great idea to try to play along with Griff, just don’t get too discouraged if you can’t perfectly match his playing. He’s really good!
Welcome to the Forum!

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Welcome,
WanaBClapton!!! You have joined a brand new extended family here ... lots of great people. Never be afraid to ask any question, there is no such thing as a "dumb" question! Be sure to participate in the Gear Talk and Forum pages, and post pics of your guitar and amp in the "Show us your guitar" and "Show us your amp" threads in the Gear Talk page! Oh … and the VJR (Virtual Jam Room) is TONS of fun, so be sure to drop in there as well! Glad to have you with us!

Welcome to the group!

Cleotis

Boiled Eggs Rock
Hello WanaBClapton! Indeed, a lot of fun playing with the guitar and spending some time here on the forum.

TwiddleJockey

If she asks - I found it in a garage sale.....
Welcome WBC! Griff talks about getting it 80/90% right after a few days. Then move on - a tactic that has served me well in both learning and excuses! Don’t expect to get the last 10% before several months of occasionally playing it again.

twbuff

The hurrier I go, the behinder I get!
Welcome WBC. Sometimes you have to take it as it comes and struggle to achieve the results -sorry, playing the guitar is not always as easy as the really good ones - like Griff - make it appear. Ever notice that all really good people in whatever they are good ar appear to be having no trouble? I know it is not that way from the beginning! Keep working, and you will get there. The only ones who fail are those that quit! So just keep on working! Good luck.

giayank

Just another day in paradise
welcome to the forum. Nice to have you with us WannaBClapton.
The lesson your learning by playing "Full Out Blues" is the parts are greater than the sum of the song. Griff's not teaching you how to play a great song. He's teaching you how different parts make up a blues. Timing, picking, I IV V pattern etc. The skill of memorization is key. You say you can play it while reading along. The only way to own it is to play by feel. The only way to play by feel is to memorize it first so you can concentrate on playing not reading. If your reading your not fully concentrating on the music. Takes lots of practice. Have fun and enjoy the ride.:)

HotLks

Blues - it's in me and it's got to come out.
Welcome WanaBClapton! I've always thought it is great to be around people of like mind. Especially if it's something in common we LOVE. We all LOVE Blues!

I'm with giayank. I really grew to value the BBG lessons after I memorized them. There's a lot more to them than meets the ear at first pass. The frequent chord to note transitions hold a lot of Blues dynamics that I kind of heard but didn't fully appreciate until I had the lesson memorized. "Deep Sea Blues" is a great example. This kind of chord-note interplay is the foundation of good rhythm playing (I believe Griff says it's 80% of what Blues guitarists play) and the very core of playing by yourself, "On the Porch" style. "Hideaway Blues" has even more interesting nuances that are a lot of fun to play and listen to after you own them.

You've come to a great place to grow!

See you down the road! :thumbup:

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
You might consider finding a way (ask questions) how to slow down the piece, and build up your speed. When starting out, do not expect to be able to play everything in a song or lesson at full speed. It takes time to build up speed.

By the way, I have been playing guitar for over 65 years, and when I do not like a piece of music, I do not play it. But when you are starting out, it is best to make every attempt to conquer whatever lesson you may have.

Tom

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I picked up Griff's course Beginning Blue course back in October as a precurser to Blues Guitar Unleashed. I thought I would breeze right through it, but am having difficulty with the Full Out Blues lesson. I get it and I can play it while reading. I just can't seem to play along with Griff very well. Strange song in my opinion. Sorry Griff. It just doesn't swing the way I need it to I guess.

Welcome to the Forum WBC.
Sure, I've found some of Griff's examples less to my liking than others, but if you "CAN'T" play it, then you may NEED to play it. Just my 2 cents.