Voodoo Blues Solo #1

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
Nice job! :) Keep at it, and you will own that piece of music. You can even change a few things around if you wish, and add your own flavor to the piece. I might just have to pick up a copy of this lesson, and the price is right at this time. ;)

Tom

notTHEwillienelson

Blues Newbie
Random question,
but on the very first note of the solo, did you use an upstroke or a downstroke?
That's an interesting question, Jacob. I most likely used a downstroke here, but your question made me think about what it "should be" given that it's on the "&" of beat 3 in the pick up. *I just picked up my guitar and played it a couple times both ways. I can tell you that I played it on the recording with a downstroke, and still do, even though it definitely makes more sense to start it with an upstroke because I'm hitting the second note with a downstroke right after. What are your thoughts?

Silicon Valley Tom

If you want to be mathematically correct, you must start with a down stroke and then an upstroke. ;) For some there is truth to doing things in the "perfect way". What is the "perfect way"? Why that is emulating your teacher. Don't you want to be a "little example" of your teacher? For the rest of the world, we do what works for us. :)

Your ultimate goal should be to become your own teacher. That may sound like a tall order, but you would be surprised at the results you can gain by listening to yourself, and thinking about what to do and why. Try several ways to do whatever you attempt with the guitar. Use what you like. The next guy may well like some other way to get the same result.

Some teachers will demand you do exactly as they say. They may be correct but if you do not follow your own instincts, how will you know? Just listen to the end result. If you like what you hear, then you are on the correct path.

Tom

JacobWood

Blues Newbie
I am trying to get the lick up to speed and working out the most efficient way to play it. It just feels a little awkward starting with a down stroke. I've been practicing with an upstroke; it is a little more challenging but seems to improve the "flow" of the lick

Silicon Valley Tom

Another technique that can be used for picking, is to use a down stroke, put do not touch the strings and then use an up stroke to play the string of interest. That is done so your timing remains correct. It is worth practicing and to have in your bag of techniques (tricks). This technique works well when you start a phrase on an upbeat as an example.

Tom

JacobWood

Blues Newbie
Thanks Tom,
I've been using an upstroke on the first note; I'll just be consistent and work on the speed with that pattern

Silicon Valley Tom

I am an advocate of doing what works for you! What determines success is the end result. When you no longer have to "think about technique", and it sounds good, what more can you do? :)

There is an argument by some, that you should use specific techniques to be successful. Otherwise, you could "waste time", and have to "unlearn the way you have been doing things". Some famous guitarists do not obey the rules, and have been successful.

Tom