Pick thickness

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
I generally use a 1 mm pick. I used to really like the 1 mm brass picks until I noticed tiny little dings on my humbucker pups....... As long as the pick won't flex in my fingers I'm good. :Beer:

Last edited:

artyman

Fareham UK
Started off with Fender medium, moved to a 1.5 Dunlop, currently back using Fender Medium again, I do get a thicker tone with the Dunlop. I do modify them by drilling a central hole with 5 further holes around this to give the finger some grip. Seems to work I rarely drop them and also haven't lost any yet, famous last words!!!

Larry H.

Mojo Enabled
I think I will feel good about by Ernie Ball Heavy's and Mediums now and stop worrying about the thin pick driving me crazy. and SV Tom, I ordered the starter v pick kit from Amazon with 7 different picks. Update coming.

Thanks everybody.

Chuck

Moderator (One of the Men in Black!)
Staff member
I've been hooked on these for a couple years now:
V pick 2.75 mm
https://v-picks.com/shop/medium-pointed-ruby-red/

I don't change picks for rhythm but, I might play the flat edge instead of the point.

I experiment with lighter picks for different tones.
Also received some wooden picks that I like with my acoustic.
I'm in the V-Pick Club and concur with the Cap'n. this thing glides across the strings at 2.75 mm. Mine is the Large Rounded, it doesn't seem to get lost or stolen :D. They don't make the pink anymore but when they announced they were discontinuing them I bought a bunch!
v-picks-medium-rounded-chick-pick-2.75mm-pick-pack-of-3_12119788.jpeg

jackderby52

Prehistoric blues knob (not newbie)
WOW! Do you realize how many guitars you could buy for that? Actually, 3 of them cost more than a brand spanking new Epiphone Les Paul SL. :eek:
Pray tell, what is it that you most like about them? Do you use them primarily for acoustic or electric?
I thought V-Picks were expensive.
Yea, I totally get it... It took me months to give a $35 pick a try... But I did it once and here I am with the same pic 5 years later... I'm all acoustic 99.9% of the time so besides great tone it's the feel of these picks that did me in.. If you ever had a chance to play with a real Tortoise shell pick, these bluechips mimic that feel/material synthetically.. They kinda warm up as you play and you get a great soft/warm grip on them... For sure not for everyone.. I do I find the primetones close to bluechips at a fraction of the cost.. That said, if you are an acoustic player, treat yourself to one and keep it for life.... They do not wear out...

jackderby52

Prehistoric blues knob (not newbie)
I'm in the V-Pick Club and concur with the Cap'n. this thing glides across the strings at 2.75 mm. Mine is the Large Rounded, it doesn't seem to get lost or stolen :D. They don't make the pink anymore but when they announced they were discontinuing them I bought a bunch!
v-picks-medium-rounded-chick-pick-2.75mm-pick-pack-of-3_12119788.jpeg
Papa has nothing on you Chuck!!

Stinger22

Blues Junior
Started on Fender Mediums and always go back to them if I wander. Of course I started on a Tele and always go back to a Tele if I wander. Tried the Dunlop Jazz III and played them for a while and did get into hold my Fender Mediums closer to the point for some picking because of that little foray. Tried the V-Picks and got the "chirping" and the thicker just seem less controllable and varied. I play with all sides, pointy and round even the back side upside down. Just me it's a whatever YOU like best and what YOU can make the most out of. I would bet there has not been a pick more copied or used as a starting place for something else than the venerable classic Fender Medium.

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
'cmon guys - man up and get a Colossal - you know you want one - 8.45mm on my micrometer.

Seriously, if you practice with one of these (or similar) it will improve your picking technique and you will be that much better with your thin(ner) picks.
Tom

DSC_0740.JPG

gpower

Blues Junior
V-Picks Medium Rounded 2.75 or Dunlop Gels at 1.0. The Gels are a really stiff, hard pick for their thickness.

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
I typically use Dunlop .96 Gator Grips. I'll occasionally bump to a 1.5 Gator Grip when playing electric or Fender Mediums when playing acoustic. The .96 seems to be a happy, all-purpose compromise.

Larry H.

Mojo Enabled
I picked up a V Pick Traditional - 2.75. It actually felt better. It was soooo thick when I held it but the playing was more precise and the ground edge just slid over the string. I may be stuck now.

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
Here's a simple rule:

If the decimal occurs BEFORE the numeral, that's a pick size.

If it occurs AFTER the numeral, that's a wrench size.

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
Ok, point taken, but can we compromise and agree it's a "tool", not a "wrench"? :ROFLMAO:
Tom

First of all, a wrench IS a tool.

As for the "Colossal" pick, given that the average string spacing is a little over 7mm and the Colossal pick is well over 8mm I'd suggest that using it or a wrench would make little difference. :LOL: