Electric Guitars New Suhr(s) Day!

Steely Glen

I been down so long, down don't bother me.
I recently had the chance to demo a Suhr. Some of my biggest guitar influences play Suhrs, not to mention Griff, so I was eager to do so. Needless to say, the experience was a game changer. It was everything great about Leo Fender's legacy with some modern features (PLEK fret dressing, compound radius fretboard, silent single coils, stainless steel frets that will never need replacing, non-gummy nitro) that blew my mind. The vintage vibe is absolutely spot-on and the playability is off the charts. So...I had to have one, er, two. I replaced several AVRI Fenders in my herd with a Suhr Classic Antique Strat (left) and a Classic Antique Tele (right).

There are two new sheriffs in Tone Town!

35301839916_fd3cc5a921_c.jpg

Steely Glen

I don't have a guitar with compound radius yet. Maybe I need to get with the program.

These are my first guitars with compound radii and it's noticeable from the first note. These guitars both have a 10-14" compound. There is more of a curve near the nut to accommodate chordal shapes in the first few positions and then as you climb the neck, the fretboard becomes flatter where you'd tend to do more soloing. It's a brilliant design.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Great looking (and I'm sure, sounding) guitars! Congratulations! I hope you enjoy them in good health for a very long time!

Dr. Ron

Nuthin’ But The Blues!
Very nice Dan. I am also getting close to getting a Suhr. Have played several recently. A
Pro-Modern has my name on it. Griff's guitar was also one of my influences.
Congratulations!

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Well now!:eek:
Looks like you don't hesitate when you find what you want.
Congrats...............very nice choices:thumbup:

Pretty clean looking board there.
Who makes the switchers you're using?
Any comments on those?

Steely Glen

Well now!:eek:
Looks like you don't hesitate when you find what you want.
Congrats...............very nice choices:thumbup:

Pretty clean looking board there.
Who makes the switchers you're using?
Any comments on those?

Those are Disaster Area pedals, on the right the DPC-8EZ looper for my dry effects and the left the DMC-8 MIDI controller for the Strymon wet effects. They sync together so you can change the entire board with the press of one preset button. Really easy. And built like tanks. Highly recommended.

david moon

Attempting the Blues
please elaborate on " non-gummy nitro". Is it nitro and thus non gummy, or rather that nitro is gummy and these are not?

Steely Glen

please elaborate on " non-gummy nitro". Is it nitro and thus non gummy, or rather that nitro is gummy and these are not?

David, my personal experience of the nitro Fender uses on its AVRI line (I've owned 6) is that it is sticky. Yes, people buff it down, but I never felt like I wanted to go that route. Therefore, I had to keep the necks really clean for things not to get slow and cumbersome. I think this might be because Fender puts a layer of poly under the nitro, based on what I've read. I'm not sure the cause.

Anyway, Suhr's finish feels nothing like any of the AVRIs I owned. It's a lot faster and smoother feeling, right out of the box.

david moon

Attempting the Blues
Don't know about the latest finishes. I had a '64 Jazz bass where the neck was pretty smooth and worn down to the wood in a few places.