Where does this end?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sloslunas

NM Blues
I know that this forum forbids political comments, and I totally accept and agree with this policy. Mods please feel free to ban me from the forum for any comments that I am about to make. I have been a student and teacher of history for most of my adult years. I have always tried to connect the dots between the violence and hatred that we have all seen for the past 8 to 10 thousand years. One of the two biggest is poverty and lack of any sort of education. If I were in any one of these situations there is no telling what I may do. But, killing innocent people and blowing my self up is not an option. At this juncture, I would want to believe that most educated people would prefer a world of non-violence as opposed to one that is very violent and intolerant. What I read every day on the news does not support this. It seems that we have taken a very broad step backwards. I feel that ,as global citizens, we can do way better than this. Am I wrong in my thinking?

Steve

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Steve,
I think that there have always been and always will be crazies.
From what I've experienced most people are peaceful and just want to get along.
The peaceful folk don't make the news... Just the crazies.

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
Steve, I would enjoy sitting down to discuss this with you. There are too many limitations with the Internet, and this forum is not the ideal place to discuss reality.

After obtaining my engineering degree, I went back to school and majored in History and Political Science, and obtained my degree. I was going to be a teacher, but was totally discouraged when San Francisco laid off about 30% of its teachers back in the mid 1970's, because "they were white". So I remained in the electronics hardware world, until that moved to Austin, Texas, and then went into programming.

Our son received his degree in History, and teaching credential. He teaches in a private school. I inspired him by talking about history since he was very young.

What is the difference between citizens of today vs 4000 years ago? Well, we have a few toys like cell phones, television, etc. We do not have the Roman Circus but we do have forms and events to forget reality. Are we better off than those who lived 4000 years ago? That remains to be seen. If the collection of material objects is in your interest, then today is your cup of tea. We still have poor, sick, rich, war, etc. as has been the case throughout the history of civilization. Perhaps we should congratulate ourselves for being more efficient but then we are also less caring.

From my military experience I learned that "there is no such thing as security". Someone is always out there with the interest and ability to upset what you think is a perfect world. So in the attempt to enjoy our lives, we try to pursue naïve things like family, love, education, and peace. It takes one act to upset the apple cart so one must be prepared, like a Boy Scout. By the way, I was an Eagle Scout! :)

On, and to answer your question, "Where Does This End"? it may end well end when there are no longer any humans on the face of the Earth. :(

Tom

david moon

Attempting the Blues
Steve if you're a history teacher you must know that going back 8-10,000 years is almost back to the last ice age. "History" begins (in terms of written records), maybe 2000 BC and gets really populated around Roman times and later.

The major conflict for about the last 1400 years is whether Islam is going to win or we will repel them. See Crusades. See Martel- Gates of Vienna.

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
not to be crass but...

"We spend a great deal of time studying history, which, let's face it, is mostly the history of stupidity."

Stephen Hawking

...later.

cowboy

david moon

Attempting the Blues
OK there was that whole Cold War thing, but even then Russia had to deal with Chechnya (see Beslan) and China has their Muslims in the west making trouble.

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
A friend of mine and I have solved this whole problem many times while consuming copious amounts of liquid refreshments.
I could tell you the answer, but then I'd have to kill you. :ROFLMAO::Beer:
Tom

sloslunas

NM Blues
Steve,
I think that there have always been and always will be crazies.
From what I've experienced most people are peaceful and just want to get along.
The peaceful folk don't make the news... Just the crazies.
Mike- Your point is very well taken. I'm am a pretty positive guy and like to see the good in everyone...

Steve

sloslunas

NM Blues
Steve, I would enjoy sitting down to discuss this with you. There are too many limitations with the Internet, and this forum is not the ideal place to discuss reality.

After obtaining my engineering degree, I went back to school and majored in History and Political Science, and obtained my degree. I was going to be a teacher, but was totally discouraged when San Francisco laid off about 30% of its teachers back in the mid 1970's, because "they were white". So I remained in the electronics hardware world, until that moved to Austin, Texas, and then went into programming.

Our son received his degree in History, and teaching credential. He teaches in a private school. I inspired him by talking about history since he was very young.

What is the difference between citizens of today vs 4000 years ago? Well, we have a few toys like cell phones, television, etc. We do not have the Roman Circus but we do have forms and events to forget reality. Are we better off than those who lived 4000 years ago? That remains to be seen. If the collection of material objects is in your interest, then today is your cup of tea. We still have poor, sick, rich, war, etc. as has been the case throughout the history of civilization. Perhaps we should congratulate ourselves for being more efficient but then we are also less caring.

From my military experience I learned that "there is no such thing as security". Someone is always out there with the interest and ability to upset what you think is a perfect world. So in the attempt to enjoy our lives, we try to pursue naïve things like family, love, education, and peace. It takes one act to upset the apple cart so one must be prepared, like a Boy Scout. By the way, I was an Eagle Scout! :)

On, and to answer your question, "Where Does This End"? it may end well end when there are no longer any humans on the face of the Earth. :(

Tom
Tom- We have a whole lot in common as far as backgrounds. I only have three degrees...Economics, Political Science, and a Masters degree in Education. We share the military background as well. I was born in Munich Germany and have been around the block more than a few times. I would thoroughly enjoy a sit down conversation with you. Perhaps the next time I take the Coast Starlight to the bay area we can sit back and spill a few...I would absolutely love meeting you.

Steve

PS. I want to thank you for your very strong support for this forum. I always enjoy reading your posts...

davidc252

Blues Newbie
I don't have any degrees, but I do have some opinions. Tom and Steve, you sound like you'd be a lot of fun to have a few drinks with.
I have many friends with varying political beliefs, but we still call each other friends and we agree to disagree.
I've found that anyone who won't accept that I have beliefs that differ from theirs generally don't talk to me again.
I'm going back to my music and guitar now.
Everything is beautiful...in it's own way...

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
In my lifetime I have dealt with people from all corners of the Earth. We all have so much in common, and can learn from each other. At the same time, there are those who hate anyone different than themselves. The choice is yours.

To me, family is the most important element of society. In the Irish Constitution, the following words are contained: the Constitution recognizes “the Family as the natural primary and fundamental unit group of Society”. Our Constitution recognizes the Individual as the basic element of society.

When you become too rigid or inflexible, it can become difficult to deal with others. Since I was a teenager, I enjoyed talking about religion and politics, which I have studied since I was young. Many adults told me “you are the most opinionated person I have ever met”! Listening to the opinions of others is something that I have always enjoyed.

Some people I have talked to will blurt out a statement. When I ask them “why did you say that”, they may become extremely upset. I have met people that have strong opinions but they cannot express why. When this occurs I avoid further discussion on such topics with those individuals. But I will still talk to them.

Many things establish why we are the way we appear to be. Education (formal and informal), and religion are but two sources of our makeup. Learning to accept yourself and those around you is an important part of life. We are all similar and yet different. You have to allow people to be themselves.

For some reason I have noticed that within the last few years it has become difficult to talk about politics with others. There seem to be two camps: Those that want to help others, and those that want to help themselves and no one else. Add Twitter, and the various forms of Social Media, and you put pressures on society that did not exist before.

Something I learned from Politics Science, and in my own words: In a true Democracy, everyone has an equal voice. This is also called chaos. There is no one voice or even a majority that can be heard. The Republican Form of Democracy, allows us to vote for someone to represent us.

Our elected representatives who make serious mistakes and hurt others, will surely be reelected, as the voter has a short memory.

We should respect the rights and voices of others. We might learn something in the process. :)

Tom

twbuff

The hurrier I go, the behinder I get!
Tom and all: I subscribe to the VTBO theory of voting - short for vote the b@@@@@@@ out to try and eliminate some of the "short memory" of the representatives. Does not always work, but it is a start.
Very interesting discussion and one that does deserve face to face time to ensure complete understanding and avoid misunderstanding the written communications. Whey you all get together, please count me in as well.
Thanks for the thoughtful comments.

kestrou

Blooze Noobie
I keep hoping one day we can all travel that road, but reality is mankind ain't wired that way and not much in nature is either.
+1

I've been reading Ayaan Hirsi Ali lately - woman born in Somalia and raised in the Muslim world until about age 20, when she sought asylum in Holland - and received it. She's now nearly 50.

Suffice it to say her life experience has little in common with mine, and I learned a lot.

I recommend her writings as a source of enlightenment to others...

Kevin

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
The World Would Be a Beautiful Place If It Wasn't For The People.

Human beings are the most dangerous life form to inhabit the earth.

I've tried and tried to analyze and understand the human condition my entire life and I have failed.

sloslunas

NM Blues
I did myself a favor and unplugged my TV 10 years ago...never looked back. I do not subscribe to any newspaper, magazine etc.. The only newsletter that I get is from the Animal Humane Society (My wife and I give copious amounts to help their cause). I know that some think that I am keeping my head in the sand. But trust me, I am keenly aware of what is going on, not only here, but globally. And, I am deeply saddened by it all.
*********************************************************************************************************
"The only news I need is on the weather report"
Paul Simon

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.