Musicians Friend Deal of the day EPI SG $129

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
I got the MXL 4000 Blizzard Limited Edition Multi-Pattern FET Studio Condenser Microphone also. I think you might be right PapaB. It is however a great deal and worth letting folks know about it! Thanks Tom! :Beer:

Ed_zeppelin

Blues Newbie
Good catch PapaBear. I had just looked at the SDOTD, so something immediately seemed odd. Knee jerk reaction, just like buying another guitar 'cause I haven't bought one in a while....or 'cause I already have one but not in that color...or......

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
At that price it is insanely tempting ... but ... it has a bolt-on neck and ceramic pickups. The neck is OK, but those ceramic pickups would have to go bye bye (for me at least). I know there is an opinion that set necks sustain better, but I have seen several comparison videos that say otherwise, and my own experience tends to agree. Still, though I have 15 freaking guitars, I don't have a Pelham Blue one and I don't have an SG. Have to admit that I am doing my anti-GAS mantra.

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
I heard the opposite, set necks are better, and neck thru body is the best. I think it's just one of many variables.

After I bought my PRS CE24 I saw a video of PRS himself saying that the maple bolt on neck was different than a glued in mahogany neck. He made the point that one of the reasons you glue a mahogany neck is that the wood is soft, and the screws will strip out over time. Maple is hard, so you can safely use a screws to attach a maple neck, at least according to PRS. But then he probably knows a few things about guitars, and what he didn't know Ted McCarty probably told him.

There was an old 3 part video interview of PRS where he answered the question about tone wood, and finish, and stuff. He said, yes it all matters, to one degree or another. he said the sound of the guitar is the sum of all the things that go into it. To show that he held up a block of Honduran mahogany about 12 inches long and 3"x3". He suspended it from the end in a hanging fashion and struck it with a knuckle or a small hammer, and it rung out like a bell, and kept ringing for a very long time. It was an amazing demonstration of tonewoods.

My guitar teacher sold his real '65 SG, and replaced it with a bolt on SG. He said it good enough, that he didn't feel too bad about having to sell the '65.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
The video that I remember best had the guy trying five different guitars to see which had the longest sustain. They were all set neck except for a Strat and one of them a neck-through. He used a decibel meter and a timer. He had the tone and volume on all of the guitars on 10, and plugged them all into the same amp without touching the amp between guitars. He then hung each guitar by the headstock and plucked the A string by pulling it a quarter inch straight up and letting it snap back and punching the timer when he did it. Then timed how long it took for the decibel meter to fall to a certain point. The Strat won by quite a margin, it wasn't "iffy" at all.

Almost every credible discussion of how woods effect tone are like that ... they all say "to a certain degree" and never really quantify what that degree is. My own experience says it's more like maybe one degree or even less. :whistle: Pickup choices, on the other hand make MAJOR differences. I have also found that bridges make a notable difference (what material they are made of, their mass, etc.) ... not nearly as much as pickup choice, but notable.

Last edited:

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
Was on a trip and missed it. Phew, saved $129, I've been GASing for an SG even though with an LP and a 335 I have that territory "almost" covered :)