DAW Software for recording... for dummies

nvr2old

Blues Newbie
I see a variety of "GarageBand for PC" downloads out there.

Are any of them worth trying, or is GarageBand simply not a PC thing?

GarageBand is a MAC proprietary DAW. I'd assume these are not really Garageband unles they are Apple products made to run on a PC. Ken

nvr2old

Blues Newbie
As an aside. For years used PC's at work and home. Still do at work. Got fed up with driver and memory issues etc on PC's at home and went to all MAC's at home a few years ago and couldn't be more pleased. As far as the DAW issue, since its free with a MAC I don't see any reason to spend or change to different DAW if you have a MAC already. It's about as "stupid proof" as anything (and I know!). I run it in one window and Griffs lessons in another thru my monitors and it's the best practice tool I could ask for. Even thigh it's a beginners program it far exceeds my ability much like all the gear I own. Ken

Dr. Ron

Nuthin’ But The Blues!
I've been using Audacity for 5 years and it seems to get the job done. I've been trying to get a
little more sophisticated and have been playing with Pro Tools Lite and now Reaper. Reaper
seems to winning at the moment. But, until I make up my mind, Audacity works just fine.

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
I've used both Garageband and Audacity...I can comment on Pro Tools in the next couple of weeks...one of my classes is in Audio Recording and we will be using Pro Tools...

I loved Garageband when I had it (when I retired, I had to turn in my Macbook)...simple to use...and tons of options...unless you are looking to get into major recordings, then Garageband will do you just fine...If it wasn't for the price of Mac's, I'd still be using it...later.

cowboy

TerryH

Blues Newbie
I've downloaded Audacity, so now I have the option of that or Garage Band. I'll see which one works best for me - i.e. the one I can understand without too much trouble. I know learning computer programs is part of modern life, and I've had to learn quite a lot of them, but after a while it gets a bit tedious.
The only reason I use a Mac is that I have always worked in an industry where Macs were the industry standard.

Cowboy Bob

Horse Player/Guitar Wrangler
No secret around here, I am a Pro Tools guy. I use it in my project studio. I have also used Abbelton Live, Reaper, Garage Band and Tracktion. I have Audacity loaded on a PC, but don't really know much about it. I can get it to work, but I don't really use it.

However, since you have Garage Band, that is where I'd start. See how you get along with it. Garage Band can also take advantage of plugins or VIs also that you may wish to buy. Lots of things you can do with it.

Pro Tools First would be a GREAT option if you had any idea at all about moving into Pro Tools. It is free, but it does have limitations, such as no mp3 export.

There was a time when Pro Tools would not export or bounce mp3 without an add on converter, and kestrou is correct, you can find all kind of converters for free that will convert broadcast wave to mp3.

Good luck, and have fun.

Earle5

Blues Newbie
Cubase is definitely not the easy one of the three. I have used Cubase 6 for several years and I'm still only scratching the surface. It's quite powerful, but it's a steep learning curve.
I don't have a Mac, so I have no experience with Garage Band.
Audacity is relatively easy and of course, free. It is probably used by more people on this forum than anything else.

I have a Mustang 111 v 2 which I run through my Yamaha mixer along with my iPad. I plug in my headphones and jam along with my downloads. I now need to upload a recording for the bgulabs challenge and have no idea how to record or sync video and audio anyone have any user friendly ideas?
Earle

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
The BGU Labs challenge doesn't require video. If you want to do video, that's fine. It's a whole 'nother ballgame though. I do audio without issues, but have never tried to do anything other than webcam or cellphone recording of video.

Earle5

Blues Newbie
Ok that's a relief as I do have a Tascam recorder I can plug into the mixer. Thanks again for your input have a great weekend
Earle

brooklynblues

Blues Newbie
I have a Mustang 111 v 2 which I run through my Yamaha mixer along with my iPad. I plug in my headphones and jam along with my downloads. I now need to upload a recording for the bgulabs challenge and have no idea how to record or sync video and audio anyone have any user friendly ideas?
Earle

I am a little late to this party, but if you have a mac you have all you need. Garageband and iMovie and Photobooth.

Here is what I recorded on my mac using the above three programs. I used a guitar interface Universal Audio Apollo Twin. But recently sold that for a Zoom Tac-2 which works just as good for a lot less.

I create an audio track in Garageband and then put that backing track on that track. Then I create a guitar track and play my guitar on that track. Garageband has all the amps, pedals and effects you need.

Then I record the video with headphones while playing with the track on Photobooth. The video will only record you playing the guitar unamplified because you are hearing the sound through the headset.

After you record your track you import them to iTunes. Then add the video to iMovie and add the track from iTunes and here is where you have to actually tweak it so that the guitar parts line up. Then just lower the sound from the guitar so you only hear the track. Its that easy.

If you have not already learned to do this by now.

twbuff

The hurrier I go, the behinder I get!
Will any (or all) of these programs allow you to slow down or speed up the recording without changing the pitch? For example, if you have a backing track that is recorded in C at 115, can you slow it down to 85 and will it remain in C? Thanks.

artyman

Fareham UK
Will any (or all) of these programs allow you to slow down or speed up the recording without changing the pitch? For example, if you have a backing track that is recorded in C at 115, can you slow it down to 85 and will it remain in C? Thanks.
You can certainly do that in Audacity

brooklynblues

Blues Newbie

No. But that is where Riffsation comes in. I downloaded this backing track on Youtube:

Then I slowed it down in RIffstation and recorded this:

Here is Riff Station. it is AMAZING. You can change keys and it read out the chords for you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64XCuv2xbY0

Riffstation Webiste
https://pro.riffstation.com/buy-or-download/

I hope this helps

artyman

Fareham UK
I can confirm Riffstation is a useful program, not always accurate as regards the chords that it calculates, but certainly give you head start, and the ability to change keys is useful though that can also be done in Audacity

brooklynblues

Blues Newbie
I can't speak for audacity as I never used it. I use Logic Pro wich cost 200, but if you have a mac it comes with Garageband which is really all you need.

Yes GuiarRiff sometimes read the bass line not as chords and can be confusing but I really don't use it for that anyway.

DoesAudacity give you the ability to isolate lead lines?

Norfolk Bill

norfolk uk, just knoodling along
no ,,,but its free :),,but as arty said it can change tempo without affecting the key or indeed can change keys if you want

brooklynblues

Blues Newbie
no ,,,but its free :),,but as arty said it can change tempo without affecting the key or indeed can change keys if you want
Free is not always the best option :). But I guess it comes down to personal preference. And if he is using a MAC garageband is free as well. just sharing with him what I use, which might not be best for others.

DannyB

2 miles from Jim Beam. Oh! Pleasent Hope!
I want to start recording, simply as a means to improve my playing, not for any other reason. Which of the following is the most user friendly for someone like me with no experience whatsoever of music editing software?

1.GarageBand

2. Audacity

3. Cubebase ai

I believe I can plug my Yamaha THR directing into my computer so there is no need for microphones etc. Garage Band is already on my Mac and the other two are free, so cost doesn’t come into it. The criteria is, above all else, which is the easiest to use.

I'm a Mac user/abuser. Audacity is the simplest, hands down!

I have several DAWs, including Pro Tools, Studio One, Logic Pro X, Reason, MixBus 4, MixBus 32C v4 and a couple more. Use Audacity for a few months THEN think about where you'd like to go.

As for Riffstation, I have it, but I still prefer Song Surgeon.

YMMV!!

D. R. Miller

Good News Blues
I want to start recording, simply as a means to improve my playing, not for any other reason. Which of the following is the most user friendly for someone like me with no experience whatsoever of music editing software?

1.GarageBand

2. Audacity

3. Cubebase ai

I believe I can plug my Yamaha THR directing into my computer so there is no need for microphones etc. Garage Band is already on my Mac and the other two are free, so cost doesn’t come into it. The criteria is, above all else, which is the easiest to use.

I used Cakewalk's Sonar for years before switching to Mac's a few years back. I first used Garage Band which is very user friendly and easy to record with but after using a DAW like Cakewalk for years one thing I found lacking were the editing capabilities so I went ahead and upgraded to Logic Pro. I haven't used it a whole bunch but it's pretty powerful. But, in your case Garage band is all you need, audacity will gain you nothing GB can't do already.