What the H---k is O.C.D.

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
What do I need to know about this disorder?
We bought this house 10 months ago over at Lake Roosevelt, Az. And my neighbor I think is CRAZY
I want to go OFF on him, but my wife tells me he has O.C.D. and I should feel sorry for him.
We came back from the Lake Monday and the dude calls me at 6:30 am Teusday and leaves me a message
that he fixed my sprinkler system for me and was going to rewire the whole thing for me.. There was nothing wrong with it, except it didn't turn on at 5:30 AM when he does his "RETIRED NAVY BLOCK WALK" inspection
I think O.C.D. stands for "OLD CRAZY DUDE" myself.

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
Oh man, don't get me started on neighbors. I have moved 13 times (so far) over my lifetime. Almost all of those places were quite isolated such that I rarely had any close neighbors to "deal with". Several years ago when we moved from VA to MN, we decided that maybe because we were getting older and maybe wouldn't want to take care of a large property in another few years, we would try living in a neighborhood - you know, with real neighbors.
We found an area where house spacings here are pretty good, it's semi-rural with minimum lot size is 1.5 acres, many are 4 to 6 acres, all professional people, so we thought it might be ok. Our property backs right up to a 200 acre wildlife management area. Seemed like a good bet.
BIG MISTAKE.
Right now we are seriously considering taking a $50K loss to sell this place and find a nice 10 or 20 acres way out in the boonies surrounded by woods again just to get away from it. People ARE crazy.
Tom

Ed_zeppelin

Blues Newbie
Well, I moved into my neighborhood in 1980, bought my house in '84, make my last payment in August and my neighbors on both sides and across the street were there when I moved in. Obviously I haven't driven them out yet. :cool:

Ed_zeppelin

Blues Newbie
I have a 40W Pignose that I find post-its on my front door after playing. Apparently I can't hear the door bell. A Drum Kit? Hmmmm? Thanks Kev!

TerryH

Blues Newbie
Wow! You Americans have so much space:). I've never in my whole life, both in London and now in a small seaside town not lived in a house that wasn't attached on both sides to the house next door.

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
Well, I am fourth generation San Franciscan, and things like lawn sprinklers were not a problem in our neighborhoods. You see, most houses in the City, are twenty five feet wide, and about one inch from the adjoining house. The front of most houses are only a few feet from the sidewalk. Most houses have no front yard. Ours was an almost all Irish Catholic neighborhood, with five Italian families on our block.

At Christmas time, the Italian families would give you wine and Italian cookies. The Irish would exchange nothing.

Two sisters, who were very ancient lived in a cottage. They would peak out the window all day long and report to anyone passing by what the latest gossip was. They would run across the street to stop us on our way home. We had one Jewish family, who owned one of the three grocery stores on the block. They were the most loving and generous people you could imagine. There son and I have been best friends for over 65 years. Of the 13 kids that were a part of our group (born between 1942-45), 11 of us still have contact with each other. Two of the kids passed away when they were very young.

We moved to Santa Clara, about 27 years ago. After living there for two years I remarked to my wife that in San Francisco, we knew the names of 64 neighboring families, and said at least hello when we saw them. In Santa Clara we knew no ones name and no one ever said hello or good morning. We have lived for 19 years at our present home and still do not know any neighbors. When I go for a walk, I always say hello to anyone I meet on the street. One day I said hello 17 times to different people and not one even looked at me.

My daughter was attending college classes given by UCLA, near London. She loved the people and the area so much! She said that the rooms were smaller than what we are familiar with. A large object fell on her and she was rushed to the nearby hospital. They did not ask her for her insurance card, and the care was outstanding and free. That is not the American way!

Give Americans lots of room between each other. After all, they like to use their AK47's and AR15's to express themselves. :cry:

Times change and all that.

Tom

P.S. If I aggravated anyone with my comments, please send me a PM, as I do not wish to start a range war. o_O

Scott 2.0

Blues Newbie
I've always had good neighbors. When I was a kid, we lived in a triplex Section 8 housing. We were in the middle. The Hells Angels on our one side would walk their bikes out to the street so it wouldn't wake us up in the morning. On the other side, lived a single woman with a couple kids. She would leave around 9pm - must have been a working girl. Strange thing is that the normally noisy kids would all of a sudden get real quiet once she left. Wondered if there was some pharmaceutical assistance. :sleep: Always lived around considerate neighbors. :cautious:

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
I've got a buddy whose wife has OCD bad enough she takes meds for it. He and I (and his wife) have laughed about the fact that whoever named that disorder obviously didn't have it. If they had, it would've been CDO...because then all the letters are in the right order. :ROFLMAO:

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
SVT; I can relate to that 17 time thing; I exsisted in N.Y.C. for a while. The only response I got back was; "Do you know me"--no-- "I don't know you either" then a cold stare and silence. I got the message.:):):) P.S. Good one Dave...but man I sure hope they don't give my neighbor no meds
all I need is a OCD on pep pills next door.

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
I think I have this figured out....we are going back over there tomorrow. I am going to take my metal detector with me. Then throw a bunch of pellet rifle pellets in his drive way and a few roofing nails on my side of the fence...then tell him I am looking for water lines but keep finding nothing but roofing nail. Then he will want to look for his water lines and roofing nails. I will be MORE THAN WELCOME to let him use my metal detector. That should be enough to keep him busy while I am over for the next 10 days. I can see him in my mind now metal detecting every inch of the hood.
Some of you might think that is cruel--but bottom line is the dude is 9 years younger than me. Somebody got to give him the cure----IF POSSIBLE":Beer::Beer::Beer:

TerryH

Blues Newbie
Tom, I’ve only ever been to the East coast in the USA, but I’ve aways thought that San Fransisco looked like a beautiful city.

An American relative of my ex-wife always used to joke that England was so small that wherever you were in the country if you drove for a couple of hours you would be in the sea. As far as difficult neighbours go we have probably all been there one way or another!

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
aI grew up in The Bronx and always hated living in the city. Some advantages 20 mins via subway to Manhattan, great concerts, lots to see and do and a LOT of friends growing up. After I met my wife we lived on Long Giland (spelled Long Island) for about 10 years. We were driving back from the summer house in the Adirondacks where it had rained all week, so not a lot to do. No TV, one or two country radio stations. The biggest decisions we had to make all week were whether to get up and make another pitcher of Margaritas, or throw another log on the fire. One of the most relaxing weeks we had ever had.

As we were driving back we got through Co-Op City on I-95 the traffic was building, and I could literally feel the stress coming over me like a fog rolling in. That was our breaking point. We have continued to move away from civilization, our last two houses have been fairly isolated in very small towns, I am talking convenience store, post office, that's about it. We have bred dogs for the past 35 years so we always have a noisy house between barking and loud music, and we are kinda "don't tread on me and I won't tread on you" kinda people. The lack of interference from neighbors is awesome, And don't get me wrong we love people, but have lived next to our share of a-holes over the years, and nothing is worse than coming home to a wife stressed out over the neighbors. It just doesn't go away until someone moves. The downside to being remote is we have to drive 30-60 mins to get most stuff, and you better be packing, because the police may not even know how to find you, if you call 911.

But I wouldn't trade it for the world. I hope that all of you find the same happiness we have found in our last two locations.

Last edited:

LosBassMan

"Bottom Feeding since 1996"
Our guitar player's wife has OCD she vacuums the house at least 4 times a day and has a full time job!
I am not a city person at all! I can not stand living on top of one another, my relatives in Spain call me a hermit because I prefer to live in the country. I am about to pull the trigger on 90 acres in central Maine if everything works out, I value my privacy.

Carlos

lola

Blues Newbie
Honestly ppl lighten up. People with OCD are a part of the landscape. I have a moderate situation on my hands myself.

People with OCD can't help what they do. They can medicate which is what I do. But it is a serious issue not to be made fun of or taken lightly.

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
aI grew up in The Bronx and always hated living in the city. Some advantages 20 mins via subway to Manhattan, great concerts, lots to see and do and a LOT of friends growing up. After I met my wife we lived on Long Giland (spelled Long Island) for about 10 years. We were driving back from the summer house in the Adirondacks where it had rained all week, so not a lot to do. No TV, one or two country radio stations. The biggest decisions we had to make all week were whether to get up and make another pitcher of Margaritas, or throw another log on the fire. One of the most relaxing weeks we had ever had.

As we were driving back we got through Co-Op City on I-95 the traffic was building, and I could literally feel the stress coming over me like a fog rolling in. That was our breaking point. We have continued to move away from civilization, our last two houses have been fairly isolated in very small towns, I am talking convenience store, post office, that's about it. We have bred dogs for the past 35 years so we always have a noisy house between barking and loud music, and we are kinda "don't tread on me and I won't tread on you" kinda people. The lack of interference from neighbors is awesome, And don't get me wrong we love people, but have lived next to our share of a-holes over the years, and nothing is worse than coming home to a wife stressed out over the neighbors. It just doesn't go away until someone moves. The downside to being remote is we have to drive 30-60 mins to get most stuff, and you better be packing, because the police may not even know how to find you, if you call 911.

But I wouldn't trade it for the world. I hope that all of you find the same happiness we have found in our last two locations.
Speaking of “Long Island”, when I was 17 I was at Lackland Air Force Base for basic training. For the first time I met people from all over the United States. We were separated by groups, and one of the guys from “Long Island”, whose name was Lebowitz, loved to call all his New York buddies over to hear me say New York, and Long Island. They laughed at how I pronounced those words. They pronounced them New Yuurk, and Lonk Gilind.

We had guys from "da" Bronx, and Brooklyn also. Each had a distinctive accent, and pronounced the same words differently from each other. Then we had guys from the South, and Mid West. This was 1960. I learned how to tell where people were from by their accents. An example was people from Raleigh, North Carolina, said “Ca'all”, and not Ya'all.

What I noticed was that sometime in the 1980's, it became more and more difficult to tell where in the United States, a person was from. I attribute that to people watching television.

You can travel 50 miles from the San Francisco Bay Area, and think that you are in the South.

I remember meeting fellows from upstate New York, who you would think were from the deep South, and guys from Maine who you thought had fallen asleep before the second word of a sentence came out. So much for our United States Accents. :rolleyes:

You can tell a Canadian by the way they pronounce "about". :eek:

I like the saying, "Britain and America Are Two Nations Divided by a Common Language". :)

My cousins from Ireland, (Dublin, Cork and Galway) have interesting accents, each one being a bit different. :cool:

Tom