Taylor or Martin?

Tony357

Blues Newbie
Good day to all ,I am looking to purchase an acoustic guitar for Griffs acoustic blues unleashed ,I did some research on what acoustic guitar would have a nice bluesy tone and came up with some models ,one of them being the Taylor Big Baby BBT-E ,I like this model very much because it is great for players like me with small hands ,just shy of a full size ,this 15/16th size has amazing sound ,well that's what they say on reviews ,I also found a similar model with the Martin Dreadnought Junior ,these are my 2 choices at the moment unless someone can recommend something better for the buck ,I have a budget of about $1200.00 to invest ,I've been a good boy ,my wife told me so lol ,so it would be really appreciated if someone can let me know if there is a better choice out there than these 2 models ,something that will be fun to play obviously with that great bluesy tone and comfortable for small hand players like myself.

Thanks in advance.

Tony

Norfolk Bill

norfolk uk, just knoodling along
Both have there own voice,,Martins deeper and fuller,,Tayler maybe "brighter" more modern sounding,, i would suggest trying some and for the money you have maybe look at getting that model used?

And like anything there are more choices of make, the more you look into it lol,,

LLL

Workin' the Blues
Certainly Martin and Taylor are great brands and have numerous models to suit whatever you are looking for.....however I would state this.

It isn't the guitar that sounds "bluesy" it's what YOU do that makes it sound "bluesy". You may like an acoustic that sounds darker or maybe you like it sounding brighter - but it's what your fingers do with that guitar that ultimately makes it sound bluesy, bluegrass, folk, rock or gospel. :)

Hope you find the guitar that you like and that motivates you to pick it up often!

kestrou

Blooze Noobie
Both have there own voice,,Martins deeper and fuller,,Tayler maybe "brighter" more modern sounding,, i would suggest trying some and for the money you have maybe look at getting that model used?

And like anything there are more choices of make, the more you look into it lol,,
As BR stated - Martins are generally known for a deeper sound (and more for playing solo acoustic), while Taylors are generally brighter (and cut through the mix of playing with a band more).

So you might start with that as a general guideline for what kind of playing you'll be doing - but the important part is to "grab the neck" and see what feels good.

A guitar ALWAYS starts at the neck - if that's not "right", then all else is immaterial...

Kevin

jmin

Student Of The Blues
Fender!!!...I recently purchased an acoustic for an acoustic jam session I was attending (...and ABGU!). I tried the the Martins and Taylors...and then the Fender Sonoran. Since I know nothing about acoustics, my opinion is very un-informed, but I did a very quick playing comparison at Guitar Center between the Martins/Taylors/Gibsons (top end, $2000+ guitars)...and the Fender. I honestly couldn't hear any difference, and if anything, actually liked the Fender better! And here's the kicker...it lists for $350! The neck is very much like an electric (possibly a strat) and really comfortable! Check it out! You may be as pleasantly surprised as I was!

Fender Sonoran (Sweetwater)

...here's the earlier post I made:
NAGD 1st Acoustic recording

Tony357

Blues Newbie
Fender!!!...I recently purchased an acoustic for an acoustic jam session I was attending (...and ABGU!). I tried the the Martins and Taylors...and then the Fender Sonoran. Since I know nothing about acoustics, my opinion is very un-informed, but I did a very quick playing comparison at Guitar Center between the Martins/Taylors/Gibsons (top end, $2000+ guitars)...and the Fender. I honestly couldn't hear any difference, and if anything, actually liked the Fender better! And here's the kicker...it lists for $350! The neck is very much like an electric (possibly a strat) and really comfortable! Check it out! You may be as pleasantly surprised as I was!

Fender Sonoran (Sweetwater)

...here's the earlier post I made:
NAGD 1st Acoustic recording

Wow thanks for sharing ,that is one sexy guitar ,I love the head stock ,just like my Stratocaster ,solid spruce top ,c shape neck ,great for tiny hands like mine ,and the price wow we have a contender .

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
Only thing I could add would be the wood. Mahogany vs. Rosewood. I have played a few mahogany that sound well. But rosewood just sounds better. (JMOP) But to answer the question. I am a Martin Man. You can get a Rosewood Martin in the price range your looking at. Martin makes the "000"
triple ott model that is thinner than the dreadnaught. I now have a MARTIN COUSTOM "D" rosewood body that I picked up for $800 used that sounds pretty darn. Not as good as my D-28 did; But better than D-35 did.

Last edited:

TwiddleJockey

If she asks - I found it in a garage sale.....
I love the sound of a Martin. Especially the 15M. Alas my budget wouldn't stretch.

Whilst you're thinking about a "proper" one, I've had some experienced people comment on my Fender CD-60 CE once it was set up and stringed correctly. It fits my smaller frame much better than full size dreadnaughts form Yamaha etc that I started with.

It punches well above it's weight at about $250 over there I guess. Just in case any followers of this thread don't have such luxurious options,

Last edited:

Tony357

Blues Newbie
I love the sound Martin. Alas my budget wouldn't stretch.

Whilst you're thinking about a "proper" one, I've had some experienced people comment on my Fender CD-60 CE once it was set up and stringed correctly. It fits my smaller frame much better than full size dreadnaughts form Yamaha etc that I started with.

It punches well above it's weight at about $250 over there I guess. Just in case any followers of this thread don't have such luxurious options,

Actually this was an other one that was mentioned but was worried for the sound at such a low price ,didn't bother looking into it but will check it out ,thank you.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
It's how you play that makes your music sound "Bluesy". For me that's about combining and intertwining the Major and minor scales when you can. Having said that. If you have a $1200 budget why are you looking at $500 guitars? We have gone round and round on the forum about budget guitars or more expensive guitars. I'm a Martin man. I have 5 of them (only one of which I played before buying). All American made from good cured wood. They all sound great and do different things. I have played the budget line of Martins which are made in Mexico. A friend owns one. They sound green. I don't believe they are the guitars that made Martin's name. They don't sound as good or play the same. I can't speak specifically to the Taylor but I expect it would be similar to the higher level guitars that made Taylor it's name. I would suggest looking for a 000 series guitar. The great delta Blues-men of the past played the smaller bodied 000 size. If you don't mind buying used you can get a warm sounding 000-15 for less than $1000. Keep in mind the 000-15 has the full scale. Is you want the shorter scale you will have to go to the 000-18 or the 000-28. Both the 18 and 28 are above your budget but you can get them used between $1500 and $2000. I paid about $1700 for my used pristine 000-28. If you can I'd look at the 18's or the 28's. The difference in scales is about the difference between the longer scale Fender or the shorter scale Gibson. Scale has nothing to do with feeling better for smaller hands. That's all about the neck. I like all of my Martin necks. The 12 string is a bit larger but it's fine for me - after all it's a 12 string! It still comes down to you and your preference. How long you want to keep the guitar and where you want to play it. Look around and play a few to understand the necks and then look for a deal. Good luck!

Last edited:

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
If you can find any to try, you might want to check out the Breedlove models.
I have a Breedlove, and it has a great sound, and feel. I chose it over several models of Martin's and Taylor's. I hope that you can try out a few guitars before you purchase one. Are you interested in an acoustic or acoustic/electric? Cutaways should be considered one way or the other. I like them as you can get further up the neck with ease.

To me, the feel of an instrument is the most important consideration, with the sound being second.

Tom

joeblues27

Blues with feeling
Well of the choices of a Martin or Taylor,definitely Martin! To be honest I searched acoustics in the 1000 to 1500 price range when I wanted to upgrade my acoustic. None sounded as good as what I had which is a Seagull all cedar body. It has a very warm tone and is only around 500.00.

mpaq

Canfield, Ontario, Canada
Only thing I could add would be the wood. Mahogany vs. Rosewood. I have played a few mahogany that sound well. But rosewood just sounds better. (JMOP) But to answer the question. I am a Martin Man. You can get a Rosewood Martin in the price range your looking at. Martin makes the "000"
triple ott model that is thinner than the dreadnaught. I now have a MARTIN COUSTOM "D" rosewood body that I picked up for $800 used that sounds pretty darn. Not as good as my D-28 did; But better than D-35 did.

since you mentioned wood, dont forget the top is just as critical to the sound and longevity of the guitar. Many of the lower end Taylors and probably Martins too have laminated top construction. I would recommend a quality used one with a solid spruce top to a new laminated Taylor or any other brand.
I also might suggest rather than looking for a smaller guitar, maybe try looking at the different body shapes ?...i too find the jumbo dreadnought style a bit overwhelming but the Taylor "Grand Auditorium" shape is perfect for me.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
My favorite acoustic is my Larrivee, I also own a Breedlove which is a good guitar for the money, as are my Alvarez 6 and 12 strings, but that Larrivee for me is well balanced and has plenty of bottom, but it is a jumbo.