Classic Rock Unleashed!

Mr.Scary

A Blues Legend in My Own Mind
Questions for Griff (or moderators that have the inside scoop)

I'm guessing as in other courses the rhythms and solos will transfer to other songs as well. Just as the 5 chords of ac/DC would.

Are the solos in the minor pentatonic or major since it is rock.

Who are the artists in the course that you are focusing on.

Can these solos be used in blues.

deejaid

Blues Junior
I'll be picking this up as soon as it's launched. Now one more thing Griff, how about an iPad app? I've got so many courses and I log into the portal to use them but an iPad app would be so convenient.

kestrou

Blooze Noobie

I'm guessing as in other courses the rhythms and solos will transfer to other songs as well. Just as the 5 chords of ac/DC would.

I'm not Griff or a moderator, but... I'm not shy!

Even in Classic Rock, there's lots of similar rhythms - so learning these five songs are DEFINITELY going to help in learning other songs. As far as the solos transferring, that's very much hit-or-miss... Since the chord changes on classic rock aren't necessarily 12-bar I-IV-V, it's not common that whole solos transfer, but you can *often* steal licks. On the other hand, sometimes you get lucky and a solo does transfer completely: Here's me doing Smoke On The Water over a 12-bar blues in G and I think it works pretty well: http://bluesguitarunleashed.com/forum/index.php?threads/if-i-may-have-but-a-minute.19509/

Minor vs. Major: Depends on the song. There's more leads in "minor" than "major" in Classic Rock, but there's more variation in Classic Rock that in Blues too - such as Carlos Santana and much of his stuff being in the Dorian mode, rather than minor/major Pentatonic. From what he's disclosed so far, Griff's not heading the direction of covering the other modes - and that's probably good! :)

That's what I *don't* really know, but am chipping in anyways...

Kevin

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
I'll be picking this up as soon as it's launched. Now one more thing Griff, how about an iPad app? I've got so many courses and I log into the portal to use them but an iPad app would be so convenient.
While I don't have plans for an app (though I did talk to someone recently about that) one of my next projects is a new membership site that is mobile responsive. So you'd be able to login with your ipad and the site would look appropriate in the safari browser. Right now the videos won't scale and the page doesn't do anything to accommodate. That's going to change.

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member

The soloing in this course is all pentatonic/blues based - that wasn't on purpose on first, but as I was transcribing and putting solos together from various guitar players I realized that no one used anything else!

The variations being Santana and Richie Blackmore - who use some modes. I originally was going to get into modes but it just got way too long (it's as long or longer than BGU already.)

There is minor pentatonic, major pentatonic, combining the two, and minor and major blues scales all covered in various ways. When I get the product page up with all the demos of the solos, for example, you'll know exactly what song I took them from - it's not a mystery. But yes, they could be used in a LOT of songs and I tried to point that out.

Bob630

Blues Newbe
I don't think you can get any cheaper licensing than this: :eek:

What was that all about? I know there are some dangerous street drugs out there. If I heard that in person I would probably call the cops and the men in the white coats.

davidc252

Blues Newbie
I have not been on the forum for a few months. I decided I was spending too much time reading all these posts and not enough time playing. So, I've been spending all my spare time learning and playing lately. But then I got those 2 emails from Griff on AC/DC5 and Rolling Stones, and I just knew there must be a new course coming. Sure enough I logged on and saw this thread.

Thank god for Griff's emails!

I can't wait until CRU released!

Dave

david moon

Attempting the Blues
Maybe not, but I'm sure Chuck Berry will never forget this... It starts getting weird at about 1:20 in the video. Watch the expression on Chuck's face when he first hears Yoko.
It's a miracle he didn't put out someone's eye with those long string ends flapping around!

Scott 2.0

Blues Newbie
Started justifying to my wife why I felt a course like this would be a good thing. She sort of chuckled and said buy it. She then started mumbling something about supporting the arts and Griff....blah, blah, blah.... I got the answer I wanted, mentally checked the box, and moved on....
:Beer: