Hey Griff, About the Master Series!

Lee_Bishop

Blues Newbie
Years ago I asked you about breaking down the songs of different blues artists, you replied you wouldn't be doing that. I am glad to see you changed your mind with the Master series. This is what I have been waiting for. I am sure I am not alone!

As well, I am sure I am not alone in wondering why you do not include the rhythm part with each song you break down?

Maybe if enough of your students request the inclusion of the rhythm guitar to be apart of each lesson you will consider doing so.

Scott 2.0

Blues Newbie
I have all the previous master courses, but saving them for retirement. Your question got me to take a look at one of the courses. Yep - no rhythm, but the backing track was a slow I-IV-V progression. Personally, I don't need Griff to spend time on rhythm if it is the usual blues progression. I have other courses for rhythm and timing. I want to be able to solo - but it is not my goal, I want to be able to solo if someone looks my way and non-verbally asks if I want to take the next 12 bars. I want to non-verbally transmit the message - sure, no problem. Then when the girls start coming up to the stage - I may just do another 12 bars. Gotta be nice to the fans. [oops - coffee just kicked in, lol]

IMO - you can't go wrong with the master series.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
This thread sounds awfully familiar.....

Griff has soloing courses and he has rhythm courses. There is a balance that he has to reach between information in the course and the price that the majority of people are willing to pay. In addition to that, I think that the "Solos From The Masters" assumes a certain level of expertise that precludes the need for the rhythm parts. That said, I have also found myself wishing for a course on the rhythm parts for this song or that. I just don't expect it all in one lesson.

Last edited:

70sRock

Blues-Rock Infused
@Griff , Is this true?

My understanding is (and if you look closely at the web page for the lession) that these lessons are "A complete solo in the style of one of blues music's most iconic guitar players". They are not breakdowns of any one song. So I assume that Griff used a standard progression that is taught in any one of his courses.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
As well, I am sure I am not alone in wondering why you do not include the rhythm part with each song you break down?

Solos from the Masters don't break down songs. They present 12 bars of solo material in the style of the selected artist. Every one of them is a 12 bar I-IV-V, with the exception of the Joe Bonamassa solo. About half of them don't have a rhythm guitar part behind them and most of the ones that do are using little chords.
They aren't songs. They are plug and play solos that can be played over a backing track of the same style, shuffle, straight 1/8ths. slow blues, etc.

The first 14 lessons of BGU cover every rhythm pattern in the Solos series.
You'll find even more in-depth study of rhythm guitar in Strumming and Rhythm Mastery and 52 Rhythm Fills and Variations, with even more in Blues Gig In A Box.

TerryH

Blues Newbie
As I am at present tying my fingers in knots trying to play solo 4 in BGU, I would love to see Five Easy Slow Blues Solos - or are slow blues never easy?

Lee_Bishop

Blues Newbie
Years ago I asked you about breaking down the songs of different blues artists, you replied you wouldn't be doing that. I am glad to see you changed your mind with the Master series. This is what I have been waiting for. I am sure I am not alone!

Maybe if enough of your students request the inclusion of the rhythm guitar to be apart of each lesson you will consider doing so.

Lee_Bishop

Blues Newbie
According to Griff the latest Albert King solo in the Master Series was inspired from Kings version of the Sky is Crying. So, these are songs we are being presented. Having a 12/24 bar breakdown as to how the rhythm guitar part is played in no way takes away from the solo information. Personally, I prefer a cohesive lesson giving both parts the lead and rhythm. If the rhythm part is from a different course then reference it, so it can be found.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
My understanding is (and if you look closely at the web page for the lession) that these lessons are "A complete solo in the style of one of blues music's most iconic guitar players". They are not breakdowns of any one song. So I assume that Griff used a standard progression that is taught in any one of his courses.

Your understanding is correct. Every one of the solos, with the possible exception of the Bonamassa solo can be overlaid onto any similar 12 bar pattern, shuffle, straight, slow blues, quick change. I have two recordings at home of Albert King playing "The Sky Is Crying" and I've heard a few more. None of them is note-for-note what Griff shows you.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
If the rhythm part is from a different course then reference it, so it can be found.

I think you miss the point. The solo is the focus, hence the course name, "Solos From the Masters." While I can't speak for Griff, I seriously doubt there was a lot of consideration as to what the rhythm guitar part was on the exercise. Having been through all these solos I can tell you there are several with no rhythm guitar behind them. Some have only bass and drums. One or two have a piano or organ rhythm.
The PDFs for the solos list the chords used behind the solo. It isn't a difficult task to select a rhythm from one of the aforementioned sources and apply that rhythm using the chords. In fact, there will likely be multiple rhythms that will work behind the solo. The first 14 lessons of BGU give you everything you need to know to play rhythm behind any of the solos.

Griff isn't one to ignore a groundswell of requests. I can assure you that if there were enough people asking for this (as you have done a couple of times before), Griff would have incorporated it as a part of his curriculum.

kestrou

Blooze Noobie
I'm happy that when Griff makes a course that says it's about solos, it's about solos - and when he makes a rhythm course he details the rhythms.

I don't need - and don't want - him to do everything in every course.

Guy's gotta sleep sometime! :)

Kevin

tommytubetone

Great Lakes
I think half the fun of playing a blues tune is making it recognizable while also putting your own stamp on it. Griff has a ton of rhythms in his courses. You could use half a dozen of them in the same song to change things up. If you have a song in mind you want to play "exactly" like the original, well, you have to use your ear. You'll be much better off in the long run.

patb

Blues Junior
In my experience, learning to play "exactly" like the original is an exercise in time consuming frustration.
With that said, it is a great learning experience and will probably yield 2 or 3 passable licks in lieu of the "exactly" version .
I'm told that transcription gets faster and easier.
Clapton said in his early days he could rarely get it exactly. Often he wasn't even close.
Pat