Gear question: Gibson SG and Fender Blues Jr.

misterbiscuit

Blues Newbie
I picked up a Gibson SG a few months ago, and I love it.

I can't be the only guy on this forum with an SG and a Fender Blues Junior.

My question is: where are your tone controls at? I'll share mine if you share yours.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
I've got both. I use my Blues Jr with the Jettenuator which allows me to overdrive the front end and play at home using normal practice volumes. It's easy using the Jettenuator to figure out the control set points you like. @tommytubetone plays the Blues Jr and gigs with his. I expect Tommy has some great control set points.........

patb

Blues Junior
I picked up a Gibson SG a few months ago, and I love it.

I can't be the only guy on this forum with an SG and a Fender Blues Junior.

My question is: where are your tone controls at? I'll share mine if you share yours.
The 2 knobs furthest from the neck. Top is for the neck pickup.
Pat

patb

Blues Junior
I tried the Blues Jr. with my SG and got some pretty weird sounds. Not good. It wasn't my amp so I had limited time with it but did not find good settings. Anyone else with humbuckers tried it?
Pat B

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
I tried the Blues Jr. with my SG and got some pretty weird sounds. Not good. It wasn't my amp so I had limited time with it but did not find good settings. Anyone else with humbuckers tried it?
Pat B

I've heard plenty of guys play through them with Humbuckers and sound awesome, I modded one and replaced the Reverb tank for a buddy who plays Les Pauls, he did like the amp better after the mods, said it sounded like it had blanket over it before.

arock

Help! I'm a rock
I play my LP and my SG through a modded Blues jr all the time, and it sounds great. LP has humbuckers and the SG has mini humbuckers Settings are dependent on the room I'm in, but generally mine are close to what tommytubetone's are. Let your ears be the judge!

misterbiscuit

Blues Newbie
I've got my tone controls set at: bass 8, mid 6.5 and treble 4 with the "fat" switch on.

those are way different than my tone settings for my stratocaster, but seem closer to what others may be using.

I cannot get those creamy, bluesy sounds out of the 490 humbuckers on the high strings. guess that's what makes this SG more of a rock 'n' roll guitar!

I'm also noticing how much more sensitive these pickups are to my pedals. dialing way back to get similar tones to my Strat.

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
I've got my tone controls set at: bass 8, mid 6.5 and treble 4 with the "fat" switch on.
First where is the guitar vol. If the pickups are quite hot roll the volume back to get a less overdriven more bluesie tone. Also. Why dial back on the pedals to get the same tone? Surely the whole idea of using different guitars is to get different tones.

cheers

Al.

HotLks

Blues - it's in me and it's got to come out.
Surely the whole idea of using different guitars is to get different tones.

Great point Al. We want to keep our options open as much as possible. Sometimes it's difficult to keep the big picture in view.

See you down the road! :thumbup:

misterbiscuit

Blues Newbie
"Surely the whole idea of using different guitars is to get different tones." Al Holloway

"guess that's what makes this SG more of a rock 'n' roll guitar!" misterbiscuit

I got it. I get it. I had it. =D

Marv

I play 'err' guitar.

those are way different than my tone settings for my stratocaster, but seem closer to what others may be using.

I cannot get those creamy, bluesy sounds out of the 490 humbuckers on the high strings. guess that's what makes this SG more of a rock 'n' roll guitar!

I'm also noticing how much more sensitive these pickups are to my pedals. dialing way back to get similar tones to my Strat.

Play around with different pickup selections based on where you're playing on the neck. For example, the neck pickup seems to have its sweetest tone when playing near the 12th fret, the bridge often sounds better when playing around the 5th-6th fret, etc.

You can also experiment with where you're picking relative to the currently selected pickup when playing rhythm vs. lead or fretting at different spots on the neck. Try picking directly over the selected pickup, closer to the fret board, closer to the bridge, etc.

Different combinations of fretting location, pickup selection and picking position can lead to some interesting tonal variations.

Last edited:

joeblues27

Blues with feeling
This is something that hasn't been mentioned yet,pickup height! I have found over the years and many different guitars with humbuckers particularly I have made adjustments to find that sweet spot. Usually lowering them below specs,also adjustments on the pole pieces. This obviously takes some time,but its well worth it. Also may try different guitar picks,this has a bigger effect than you may think. Of course this is all subject to what you hear and what you want to hear. Good luck!