Speed is a tool, not a destination...

Scott 2.0

Blues Newbie
Title sums up Anthony's video on speed. He mentioned he was coming out with a speed course in a couple weeks. I have never practiced speed for speeds sake. I figured I'd get faster the more I play and practice Griff's courses. I like Anthony, but a separate course for Speed? Anyone have some thoughts on a separate course devoted to speed?

Thanks, Scott

kestrou

Blooze Noobie
My opinion: speed is an arrow you need in the quiver to play a board range of tunes.

No, you don't need it on every tune, and you might be able to get by without it - but if you don't have "horsepower on tap" then you're at a disadvantage in being able to express yourself.

A separate course on speed? Absolutely! Just like there's separate courses on rhythm, and on theory, and on chord voicings.

Kevin

Momantai

Red nose, red guitar
I read that speed is a matter of technique and left/right coordination, not age. :sneaky:
Wasn't that a guy called Griff ?? :D

I'm 62 and getting speedy-er every day (or is that old age imagination ? )

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I'm 62 and getting speedy-er every day (or is that old age imagination ? )

I doubt it's your imagination. I've noticed a similar increase. I'll never be Johnny Winter fast, but I'm definitely able to play faster and stay in time much better than in years gone by.

HotLks

Blues - it's in me and it's got to come out.
Doesn't Griff give speed a nod in Pentatonic Scales & Technique Mastery when laying out the benefits of successfully completing the course? I believe he mentions speed as one of the goals that can be achieved by becoming skillful with the techniques taught.

See you down the road! :thumbup:

Last edited:

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
Griff's Pentatonic Scales and Technique Mastery aka PSTM is a separate course devoted to speed! If don't have it, I recommend giving it a try - it's a good course to have alongside any of the main courses (BGU, ABGU, SWS, etc.) or the solos courses (Blues Gig In A Box, 5 Easy Blues Solos, Building A Better Blues Solo, Major-Minor Blues Solos). It will definitely build your "headroom," as Anthony talks about in his video. It's good to get into this course once you start to get comfortable with the boxes, and then revisit it from time to time.

[EDIT: I guess I was writing this while HotLks was writing the post above, so this is not in response to his - Just a reinforcement of the same idea. Great minds think alike!]

Last edited:

HotLks

Blues - it's in me and it's got to come out.
DVS - you are a great mind indeed sir!

See you down the road! :thumbup:

Scott 2.0

Blues Newbie
PSTM! I have it, and I read the Introduction. It is exactly what everyone was saying about speed. I'll start it today.
Since I already had the course --- "I must look inward, before I can look outward." [Zen Master Griff]

Reactions: dvs

Mr.Scary

A Blues Legend in My Own Mind
I have this course but in the "Pentatonic Shredder " or "Pattern of 5" I can't make out if Griff is alternite picking or Sweep Picking.
Can you tell?