Multi effects pedals or stomp pedals?

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
I started with BGU in October 2016 ,my birthday gift was a beautiful Fender Classic '70s Stratocaster - Natural, Maple fingerboard and the BGU course ,who could ask for more ,just wanted to introduce myself ans ask the community what they think about stomp pedals vs multi effects pedals ,I am new here and do not know if this question has already been asked before ,so 3,2,1, go ..............effects pedals or stomp pedals and why?

I'm assuming that you are referring to multi-effects pedals or individual stomp pedals...my answer: either...I have and use both...pro's and cons for both...

Multi-effects pedals...

pro's - will give you a great bang-for-your-buck, introduce you to the many types of pedals, and generally compact in size...plus tons of options of sounds (not all good but still many options)....usually the cost is reasonable...
con's - hard to adjust on the fly and may be more than you need...I like to use them with my computer (I have the software up on the screen for changes...also need AC to run them...

Stomp pedals...

pro's - easy to adjust when gigging...you can pick only the pedals you want...tons of choices with plenty of price ranges...
con's - batteries or power supply needed plus something to carry them in, can take up a lot of space, need additional cables to connect and more pedals = more $$$...think $60 - $200+ per pedal...

my .02...
if you don't have an amp yet, look at the Fender Mustang amp....the built-in effects will get you headed in the right direction...plus you have the amp...
if you already have an amp...try as many pedals as possible...find a couple you like and shop price...start with maybe an overdrive and delay, assuming your amp had reverb,,
if you are like the rest of us, it's an ongoing never ending process...plus your likes and dislikes will change...we call if GAS...

I "generally" use my multi-effects units for recording and my pedalboards for gigging...that being said, I will use my FlyRig 5 for both and also will mic my Nace amp and pedals to record with...go figure...lots of good sounds can be had using either...if I could only have one, it would probably be the FlyRig 5 as it covers the pedals I use most and is compact and easy to use...

best of luck...later.

cowboy

Tony357

Blues Newbie
Tony357 I have multi effect amps and pedals . I also have stompboxes . I also add effects to my solo's I do in the VJR on this forum when I'm using recording software. Live I would say Rancid is correct . On the fly on stage no time to screw around with presets. At home just practicing like I do all the options are good to have . I like the mustang III v2 amp I have for it's ability to have multi effects and a computer interface built in but still sounds like a great amp with them turned off . I think first thing is to decide on how , what and where you'll be using them .
Thanks mam ,this would just be used in my home.

Tony357

Blues Newbie
I'm assuming that you are referring to multi-effects pedals or individual stomp pedals...my answer: either...I have and use both...pro's and cons for both...

Multi-effects pedals...

pro's - will give you a great bang-for-your-buck, introduce you to the many types of pedals, and generally compact in size...plus tons of options of sounds (not all good but still many options)....usually the cost is reasonable...
con's - hard to adjust on the fly and may be more than you need...I like to use them with my computer (I have the software up on the screen for changes...also need AC to run them...

Stomp pedals...

pro's - easy to adjust when gigging...you can pick only the pedals you want...tons of choices with plenty of price ranges...
con's - batteries or power supply needed plus something to carry them in, can take up a lot of space, need additional cables to connect and more pedals = more $$$...think $60 - $200+ per pedal...

my .02...
if you don't have an amp yet, look at the Fender Mustang amp....the built-in effects will get you headed in the right direction...plus you have the amp...
if you already have an amp...try as many pedals as possible...find a couple you like and shop price...start with maybe an overdrive and delay, assuming your amp had reverb,,
if you are like the rest of us, it's an ongoing never ending process...plus your likes and dislikes will change...we call if GAS...

I "generally" use my multi-effects units for recording and my pedalboards for gigging...that being said, I will use my FlyRig 5 for both and also will mic my Nace amp and pedals to record with...go figure...lots of good sounds can be had using either...if I could only have one, it would probably be the FlyRig 5 as it covers the pedals I use most and is compact and easy to use...

best of luck...later.

cowboy
Thanks cowboy ,appreciate the advice ,I just checked out the fly rig 5 ,easy to use for a newbie like me.

lola

Blues Newbie
I have my pedal board. Nothing to learn other then settings. Easy peasy and I get the exact sound that I am looking for!

I love my pedals because they're easy and when I dial in the setting I want and stomp on the pedal it does exactly what I want! I will never ever buy a multi FX unit ever.

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
I am on my 3rd multi effects pedal. Had a couple of Korg units and now have an Amplifi FX100. Why 3 becuase I never get the tone I truely want. Though it may be me. There are such a lot of options you start with the presets which are normally terrible high gain sounds. Then start tweaking though every time you find a sound you like when you go back it sounds different. This is because the settings on amp and guitar have changed (took me a while to figure that one out:rolleyes:). My advice would be to start with an amp (assuming you haven't got one). Play with that and see which tones you like and then from there work out what to add. The Mustang is a good shout, though even that may have to many sounds and leave you with Option paralysis. I would look at the Yamaha THR10c if you don't intend playing out in the near future. Sounds great out the box but does have a limited number of effects so can be tweaked if you want.

If you already have an amp let us know what it is as that may change the advice.

cheers

Al.

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
Thanks cowboy ,appreciate the advice ,I just checked out the fly rig 5 ,easy to use for a newbie like me.

Tony...wasn't really trying to push the FR5 but I will say that the Sansamp "amp simulation" makes it good to record with...plus having reverb and OD in the Sansamp make it a plus...add a delay, some type of distortion and a boost switch and it covers most of what I need...it is the one pedal that always goes with me...small enough to put in my guitar case, quality effects and compact...I'm even considering using some of the newer battery options available to eliminate the need for AC...give me the FR5, small amp and guitar and I can usually get the job done...later.

cowboy

gpower

Blues Junior
For someone starting out and trying to decide just what sounds and pedals they might be interested in, I'd go multi-fx too. A good used Boss GT series, or Digitech can be found for the price of a single pedal, if you look around. Good luck!

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
I've never really bonded with a multi-effects unit...at least not the ones that I've tried. I tried them, and then either sold them, gave them away, or traded them off for something else. However, they went a long ways in the beginning towards letting me start getting familiar with some of the different sounds so that I could start keying in on some specific types of pedals. For instance, I'm not a big fan of reverb, but give me a touch of delay any day. I've heard good things about those FlyRigs, and would like to try one of them some day. But, until then, I'm content with single pedals. Now I just need to keep my secret from Mrs Snarf that half my pedals are different ODs, and I'm safe, right? :whistle:

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I've never really bonded with a multi-effects unit...at least not the ones that I've tried. I tried them, and then either sold them, gave them away, or traded them off for something else. However, they went a long ways in the beginning towards letting me start getting familiar with some of the different sounds so that I could start keying in on some specific types of pedals. For instance, I'm not a big fan of reverb, but give me a touch of delay any day. I've heard good things about those FlyRigs, and would like to try one of them some day. But, until then, I'm content with single pedals. Now I just need to keep my secret from Mrs Snarf that half my pedals are different ODs, and I'm safe, right? :whistle:
Regarding any spousal resistance:
I always highlight the "volume control" on any new gear......that usually gets a positive response.

Last edited:

LLL

Workin' the Blues
I would suggest that you check out the Peavey Vypyr VIP1 amp with multi-effects. You can find them on Craigslist (like any other guitar gear) fairly inexpensively and it can not only be used with your Electric Guitar, but also your Acoustic/Electric and your Bass. You'll be able to play around with lots of "pedal" effects to see what you like - and then eventually, like most of us, you'll then take that knowledge and look at individual pedals. Good luck on your journey.

https://peavey.com/products/index.cfm/item/658/118345

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Well, methinks that buying enough individual quality pedals to equal what is available in most decent multi-effects units would cost CONSIDERABLY more than the effects unit. Actually I don't just think that, I know that. If one is a newbie to all this, he/she isn't likely to be confronted with live playing at all and mainly just needs an inexpensive way to get familiar with different basic types of effects and what they do. It could be years before such a person might actually need individual pedals.
And you don't have to spend a lot of money.
http://www.musicgoroundgreensboro.c...effect-pedal?gclid=CKaw0uXEl9ECFVGTfgodfHcLZA
Pédale_multi-effets.jpg
I have one of these and it is quite amazing what it can do.
Something tickled the back of my brain and I went and checked ... sure as the devil, I have a brand new one of these still in the box with the manual and everything. Don't remember how that came to be, but I do have it.

Tony357 can have it (call it a belated Christmas gift to a blues brother) if he just PMs me with his mailing address.

Here is the manual for it if interested.
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/527141/Zoom-505ii-Guitar.html?page=6#manual

Last edited:

nvr2old

Blues Newbie
Kudos to RR. You know RR's offer can't really be beat if you want a multi effects unit and I'd jump on it if I needed one. I have personally had a couple of multi effects units one which I did not like it all and which I quickly got rid of but was very inexpensive. I currently have a bit of a different set up in terms of multi effects. That being a line 6 TT unit. It models various amps but also has multiple effects and stomp boxes that can be used with the amp simulations or simply by themselves into an amp. While some people don't like Line 6 products I think this is personally a very good way to try different things and see how they sound as well as to get them into my recording set up very easily. I think I paid $150 for it on sale so I think it was a very inexpensive and reasonably good option for the things you're talking about. Good luck. Ken

HotLks

Blues - it's in me and it's got to come out.
Tackling a multi effects unit can be challenging. I say this based on my experiences with the Mustang III. It's not impossible though and like others have said here you can get some very good ideas where you might want to go for short money before investing in single purpose pedals. The hardest part for me is finding my baseline sound which includes an overall tone, some reverb and sustain. Everything else after that is "extra". It's still a work in progress. Sometimes I get carried away and need to start over. I've not settled on a tone I want to call mine yet. I'll need to become a more proficient player before that happens. I just don't have enough material to work with yet.

See you down the road! :thumbup:

Tony357

Blues Newbie
I would suggest that you check out the Peavey Vypyr VIP1 amp with multi-effects. You can find them on Craigslist (like any other guitar gear) fairly inexpensively and it can not only be used with your Electric Guitar, but also your Acoustic/Electric and your Bass. You'll be able to play around with lots of "pedal" effects to see what you like - and then eventually, like most of us, you'll then take that knowledge and look at individual pedals. Good luck on your journey.

https://peavey.com/products/index.cfm/item/658/118345
Wow if I would have known sooner ,that is an awesome little amp .

Reactions: LLL

Tony357

Blues Newbie
Well, methinks that buying enough individual quality pedals to equal what is available in most decent multi-effects units would cost CONSIDERABLY more than the effects unit. Actually I don't just think that, I know that. If one is a newbie to all this, he/she isn't likely to be confronted with live playing at all and mainly just needs an inexpensive way to get familiar with different basic types of effects and what they do. It could be years before such a person might actually need individual pedals.
And you don't have to spend a lot of money.
http://www.musicgoroundgreensboro.c...effect-pedal?gclid=CKaw0uXEl9ECFVGTfgodfHcLZA
View attachment 1968
I have one of these and it is quite amazing what it can do.
Something tickled the back of my brain and I went and checked ... sure as the devil, I have a brand new one of these still in the box with the manual and everything. Don't remember how that came to be, but I do have it.

Tony357 can have it (call it a belated Christmas gift to a blues brother) if he just PMs me with his mailing address.

Here is the manual for it if interested.
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/527141/Zoom-505ii-Guitar.html?page=6#manual
Wow thanks man ,that is an awesome gesture on your part ,very much appreciated sir,I will pm you.