Best of both worlds!

Tony357

Blues Newbie
Hello to all ,

I would like to thank all of you who replied to my question on stomp boxes and multi effects pedals ,I have decide to order the NUX MG-100 Electric Guitar Multi-Effects Pedal Processor and also the Boss BD-2 Blues Driver Effect Pedal ,I guess I wanted the best of both worlds ,I am new to pedals so a lot of the information was via the internet ,google ,YouTube.....ect ect ect ,good reviews on both items ,I was still undecided on what to get so I figured what the H ,let me try them both ,I want some tips from the pros ,that's you kind folk reading this post btw ,concerning the set up of both pedals before I fry them both lol ,what is the right way of setting them up ,guitar cable would go to input of the Boss BD-2 input and then connect the output of the Boss BD-2 with a pedal cable crank or cables for connecting pedals to input of the NUX MG-100 Electric Guitar Multi-Effects Pedal Processor and then the output of the effects pedal connects to the amp ,am I on the right track ,would love some feedback or more suggestions would be very much appreciated ,seeing the Boss pedal would connect to the back of the effects pedal ,this would not be your regular side by side connection ,so what cable would you recommend ,have an awesome day and btw Happy New Year to you all!!!

Norfolk Bill

norfolk uk, just knoodling along
Yes though if your going to be using modulation/reverb/delay etc you may find it better to use the 4 cable method through the effects loop as well,, google the info as cant be arsed to write it out :),, re cable you can get them in varies lengths of ebay or some where so maybe a 3ft one?

Tony357

Blues Newbie
Yes though if your going to be using modulation/reverb/delay etc you may find it better to use the 4 cable method through the effects loop as well,, google the info as cant be arsed to write it out :),, re cable you can get them in varies lengths of ebay or some where so maybe a 3ft one?
seems some what complicated and messy also my amp does not have an effects loop ,I have the Bugera V5 Infinium 5W 1x8 All Tube Guitar Combo Amp ,simple but effective little amp.

Marv

I play 'err' guitar.
As Bill suggests, any guitar cable can be used between the guitar, the pedals and the amp. The lengths are up to you.

Since you don't have an effects loop, putting everything before the pre-amp would look like this: guitar -> BD2 -> MG-100 -> amp.
(each "->" represents a cable connection)

Hope this helps. Have fun!

Mark from Murrieta

Blues Junior
After years of messing about with my home-made pedal board, etc., I've come to the conclusion that an FX Loop is a must. My Fender Concert has a really good one, the Blues Jr doesn't so I'm going to have my amp guy install the jacks and the Send - Return pots on a cardboard backing with long leads, that way I can figure out where I'll mount them, not much room but I'll work it out.

Having the option to load up an FX loop with everything but the tuner, dirt and compression pedals, for me and my years, really makes a huge difference.

Then again, I'm 57 and I've been to far too many loud concerts.

What did the The Guitar Player say to the Sound Dude?

The Guitar Player: "Turn it Up!"
The Sound Dude: "What?"
The Sound Dude: "What?"... and so on....

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
That ought to keep you "lost in effects land" for a while. :)
As for the BD2 being the "best" of the OD pedals, well, that's open for debate. :)
I did a 50,000-foot level look at the user's manual for the NUX MG-100.
Looks to me like it is basically like a Fender Mustang in a floor box with some added bells and whistles, and a user interface that is way more complicated than the Mustang. But, like most things, once you get it figured out, it should be easy-peasy.

Last edited:

Tony357

Blues Newbie
As Bill suggests, any guitar cable can be used between the guitar, the pedals and the amp. The lengths are up to you.

Since you don't have an effects loop, putting everything before the pre-amp would look like this: guitar -> BD2 -> MG-100 -> amp.
(each "->" represents a cable connection)

Hope this helps. Have fun!
yes ,that is how I planned to do it thanks ,any suggestions for connecter cables ,seeing the connection of BD2 goes behind the MG100 ,the 90 degree will not do.

Tony357

Blues Newbie
That ought to keep you "lost in effects land" for a while. :)
As for the BD2 being the "best" of the OD pedals, well, that's open for debate. :)
I did a 50,000-foot level look at the user's manual for the NUX MG-100.
Looks to me like it is basically like a Fender Mustang in a floor box with some added bells and whistles, and a user interface that is way more complicated than the Mustang. But, like most things, once you get it figured out, it should be easy-peasy.
I meant best of both worlds based on my decision making ,I was not sure whether to purchase a fx pedal or a stomp box ,so I purchased both instead ,as for the BD2 ,I read some good reviews ,it was one of many that had some good reviews ,which one would you recommend ?

Norfolk Bill

you will be fine with that,,,dont go down the road of asking about others it will never end ;) ,,,there are thousands out there,,though most are based on similer circuits

Norfolk Bill

lol people can get hung up on pedals and od especially,,the blues driver is a standard on many pro boards so you've done well.
As long as you like it all good.
I remember years ago the Freekish Blues fiasco,,, a supposidly boutique pedal people raved about,, £180,, great reviews etc,,turned out all they had done is buy in Joyo pedals (a very cheap chinese clone of an OCD pedal) and give it a paint job and glooped the circuit board so nobody could see,,,there is absolutly no need to spend a fortune,,especially at the standard "most" of us are ;)

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
you will be fine with that,,,dont go down the road of asking about others it will never end ;) ,,,there are thousands out there,,though most are based on similer circuits
No, don't go down that road. The BD2 is a great pedal as many can testify. If nothing else, it is a GREAT place to start. Just because I personally don't have one on either of my pedal boards and have found others that I like more is neither here nor there. Go down that "what's the best OD pedal" road and we will be here for months. :)

gpower

Blues Junior
The only part of using both these together is where to put it.. If you go in front of and use tuner, wah, and/or compressor it goes against the most popular way of setting a board up. Same applies if you go after the modulation effects. Not the be all end all, lots of players don't set things up traditionally. I haven't looked at your unit but there maybe an assignable output/input that lets you put it within the Multis lineup. You'll just have to experiment and figure out where you like it best.

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
Uhhhh, did anyone mention that lots of people mod their BD2's? :ROFLMAO:
Maybe it's not time to get into that yet.

gpower

Blues Junior
Uhhhh, did anyone mention that lots of people mod their BD2's? :ROFLMAO:
Maybe it's not time to get into that yet.
Been there, done that. I had Monte Allums H2O+ mod in a BD-2. While it was a much nicer, smoother sounding, less noisy pedal after, there were others I liked way better.

Marv

I play 'err' guitar.
yes ,that is how I planned to do it thanks ,any suggestions for connecter cables ,seeing the connection of BD2 goes behind the MG100 ,the 90 degree will not do.

Yes, the input on the MG100 is on the back of the unit and the BD2's output is on the side, but I'm not sure I understand the question here. Angle connectors should work fine.

In your case, I would probably place the BD2 to the right of the expression pedal and run a 6" to 9" cable with right-angle connectors from the BD2 output to the MG100's input jack. For example, something like this should work fine:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Livewir...Pack-Black-1337871391627.gc?pfm=item_page.rr1

I would use a regular straight connector guitar cable from the MG100 to the amp.

My guess is you will probably like the internal overdrive pedal of the MG100 enough that you won't need the BD2.

Word of caution: you may wish to leave the MG100's compressor off when using the BD2 in front of it. Compressors are usually best used before, not after, OD's. If you want the compressor on, you may wish to engage the MG100's noise gate to fight the probably noise resulting from OD before compressor.

And if pedals are new to you, unlike the front panel of an amp, which represents the signal path from left to right from input gain to pre-amp EQ to power amp output level, pedals and pedal boards tend to run the signal from right to left:

AMP: input gain -> preamp EQ -> output level
Pedal: output level <- EQ <- input gain

I hate to admit it took me years to figure out this right to left path, but it's important to understanding how to properly adjust your pedals. If you didn't know this, keep it in mind when adjusting your BD2. If you did, sorry for stating the obvious!

Tony357

Blues Newbie
lol people can get hung up on pedals and od especially,,the blues driver is a standard on many pro boards so you've done well.
As long as you like it all good.
I remember years ago the Freekish Blues fiasco,,, a supposidly boutique pedal people raved about,, £180,, great reviews etc,,turned out all they had done is buy in Joyo pedals (a very cheap chinese clone of an OCD pedal) and give it a paint job and glooped the circuit board so nobody could see,,,there is absolutly no need to spend a fortune,,especially at the standard "most" of us are ;)
Thanks Bill .appreciate the advise ,I will stick with my 2 pedals ,I think I have more than enough effects to last a long time with these 2.

Tony357

Blues Newbie
No, don't go down that road. The BD2 is a great pedal as many can testify. If nothing else, it is a GREAT place to start. Just because I personally don't have one on either of my pedal boards and have found others that I like more is neither here nor there. Go down that "what's the best OD pedal" road and we will be here for months. :)
lol thanks mate ;)