I'm off track...

johnc

systematic
Hi Johnc, you seem to have experience with drumkits (y)
As a beginner I'm considering a Yamaha DTX400 kit. The Roland looks ok too, but....
There is a huge price difference between them, any idea what the (main) reasons are ?
Of course I checked youtube, but most video's are 'biased'. :unsure:

Sorry for taking so long getting back to you.
It has been almost 8 years since I was drumming so things would have changed with the edrums I expect. When I was playing a lot I often A-B's the Roland and Yamaha Kits and I always came up with the same conclusion.
Yamaha build good solid kits, decent hardware and probably typically Yamaha reliable. The pads/heads are similar to Roland with a variety of options and feel fine to play. Good inbuilt programs etc.
Roland still good and solid, but hardware not quite as good as Yamaha I thought.
Where Roland appealed to me more was pretty much just the samples sounded a little more realistic to my ears and there just seemed to be a betterness about how the kit felt and sounded and reacted to my playing.

In saying that, my agenda was to use my edrums for gigs/live playing, practice and recording, so the realism in sound and feel was a priority.

I believe that you would do well with either kit and yes the Yamaha does seem to offer good value for money. I think too if you are just starting out with drumming, you would be happy with either so you may as well just get what gives you the best bang for your $$$$.
If you go further with it down the track well you can always look at something different if needed.

I have no real knowledge of the other ekits on the market but I remember playing the odd cheaper brand drumkit and found them to have some latency issues which to me was very annoying.

Try and A-B some kits yourself if you can get store that stocks both, just so that you know the difference and satisfy yourself.

Good luck with it all.

Oh and today coincidentally I am buying my first edrum kit for about 7 years without anything, It's a second hand Roland kit from interstate so it will take a week or more to get here but looking forward to have one again. Hoping it is as good a condition as the seller says.