Miscellaneous Show us your Guitar,Amp,Pedalboard

HotLks

Blues - it's in me and it's got to come out.
My Oh My! Looking at these pictures makes me feel like a kid in a candy store.

See you down the road! :thumbup:

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
Nothing special here except that it's new to me. Friend thought the Monoprice Route 66 Gold Top was too heavy for him (he's a strat player) and one of the pots was broken (the middle lug was open to the other two), so he sent it to me for $20 shipping. I replaced the cheap chinese pots with some full size pots from a kit from GFS. When I was done I realized the GFS kit uses 250K tone pots (Vol are 500K), and maybe it's my imagination but I think with the new pots the guitar is less "brash", a little more civilized and I don't know if I like it. I may have to try 500K like a "regular" LP.

Clipboard01_5.jpg

I have a Dot and a Nighthawk, so it's not really new sound territory for me which is why I liked it when this one sounded a little aggressive (bright in a good way).

This one makes it guitar number 5 (and a bass, see signature for the others), and I'm almost done building #6 (a tele). I seem to specialize in "economical" guitars, my most expensive of the bunch was my Steinberger which I bought new but on sale for about $300 if I recall.

EDIT: I may also consider switching the humbuckers for humbucker sized P-90 since I don't have a P90 guitar (I eventually want to build my own Blueshawk from scratch as a project so that would be a P90 guitar, eventually...) I know GFS has affordable ($70 a pair?) 'bucker sized P90 pickups that might be in Santa's budget.

Last edited:

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
When I was done I realized the GFS kit uses 250K tone pots (Vol are 500K), and maybe it's my imagination but I think with the new pots the guitar is less "brash", a little more civilized and I don't know if I like it. I may have to try 500K like a "regular" LP.

I've set up humbuckers with both 250k pots and 500k pots. You will hear some difference in the roll-off of high frequencies between the two, but the difference in the tone capacitor you use will also make a difference. When you couple a 500k tone pot with a .047uf capacitor, it's almost the same roll-off as you'll hear with 250k pots and a .022. The original design ideas for the various volume and tone control designs started with the idea of making sure the volume and tone pots resistance was at least 10x the impedance of the pickups, so that the pots wouldn't appreciably alter the loading on the pickups throughout the range of the pots.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
I had to update the insurance information for next month. It also happens to coincide with cleaning up the music room. So after updating all the info on my babies, I took group shots.
Teles-sm.jpg
Strats-sm.jpg
Danos-sm.jpg
Gibsons-sm.jpg
Basses-sm.jpg

My wife thinks I have an obsession. Silly girl!

Awesome collection Lloyd!!!! :thumbup::thumbup: I was looking real hard last night on a Wolfgang Standard hard-tail. Those older Peavey Wolfgang's have deeper more mellow tone humbuckers then the new EVH Company and you certainly don't need a Floyd Rose for playing Blues. I decided that I might need to furnish my new place when I get there in the late Winter/Spring. I certainly will have a lot of moving and storage expenses starting that first week of October when all you guys are in Memphis........

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
When you couple a 500k tone pot with a .047uf capacitor, it's almost the same roll-off as you'll hear with 250k pots and a .022

Good to know and completely counter intuitive to me . Since the time constant of an RC circuit is T=RC, I could see how 500x22=250x47, but not coupling the 47nF with 500K pot. On the other hand, the original from Monoprice was 500K+47nF and the cap that came in the GFS kit was 22nF so you must be right, I'd love for one of the local EEs to explain.

I made sure to document the Monoprice for reference before taking it apart, also helped me make sure I knew which leads were each pickup, etc... they had a different way to wire it, for example the tone capes were between a lug of the tone pot and the can of that pot, not between the vol and tone pots. I had to draw the circuit with symbols to realize it all came down to the same thing.

I don't have a before and after recording, so maybe it's all in my head, or I had different amp settings, or the monoprice strings are already getting old (hard to tell in the picture but the high E is broken :) so I need to restring it tonight)

TerryH

Blues Newbie
Do you have a favourite - or is that a stupid question? I love the fact that you have some really interesting guitars in there, rather than all the predictable choices.

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
My Dot was my first so it has sentimental value and still is a heck of a versatile guitar, but I keep coming back to my nighthawk, it's a joy to play and has so many tone combinations.
But I really enjoy grabbing the strat and rediscovering every time how different it sounds.
So no, no real favorite.

The Steinberger is the most utilitarian, I really only use it when I find time at lunch or when I travel, but I like how it sounds too. Its neck is like an SG's it feels shifted to the left by a few frets, so it always takes a few minutes to adjust to it.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Those are incredibly cool! I think my favorite has to be the blue. So they're sandblasted? Are the bodies textured or has there been a significant enough amount of lacquer applied that they are smooth?

TimeZero

Blues Newbie
The blue is my favorite as well; it's become my "go to" guitar. The Fat 50 pickups sound absolutely amazing - thick and rich, with just enough Strat quack and spank to be incredibly interesting. I like the red, too - the American Standard PuPs are great - a little brighter with more twang, if that makes sense. Sadly, one has to go so - sorry, red.

Yes, they are textured. One of the things I really like about these is how there's no thick clear coat between you and the wood. It really helps make the guitars resonate - or so it seems to me. I'll probably be taking the blue one to Memphis, so you can see for yourself.

According to Fender, "after the transparent finish is applied, the ash body is literally sandblasted, leaving the surface grain pattern wonderfully textured with parallel ruts and grooves in which the black grain-filler coat shows beneath the color finish coat. It’s a truly beautiful look complemented by a black pickguard, and the “topography” of no two instruments is identical."

I suspect the process was similar on the blue one.

Jon3b

Blues Newbie
Rig_092016.jpg

A quick snap of my amps and pedalboard just before recording a post for the VJR last night. Quite surprised that the 5w Bugera has enough volume to rehearse with my band and pull off a gig in a small bar last weekend. Bonus: the wife doesn't complain about volume on the 0.1w setting. Love that Shure wireless receiver. The built in tuner is accurate enough for bridge intonation setting and I've yet to experience any interference problems. Yes, I have a preference for MXR pedals. Nostalgia maybe?

Last edited:

Domesticus

Blues Newbie
The following discussion happened yesterday in our home:
Me: Darling, I don't feel like being a real man.
The wife: How come?
Me: Every real man owns a Gretsch, and I don't.
The wife: If that is so, then by all means go and buy one.
Me: I'm thinking about selling one of the guitars I have to compensate for a new one.
The wife: No way, you are not parting with one of your guitars. After all, all of the guys at BGU have more guitars than you do.
Me: ok then....

The result can be seen belowGretsch.jpg
I used it the first time today at band practice. It feel, plays, and sounds as good as it looks.