Electric Guitars Epiphone ES-335 Pro

KiloMike

Eager Student
Not that I would ever expect a consensus :), but in general, would the -339 Pro be a better choice than the -335 Pro? I know a lot (all?) of it depends on which guitar "picks" me, and I plan on playing both this afternoon... But if I were equally comfortable with each, what would be the pro/cons of one over the other?

Thanks for all of your input. I'm trying to leverage the collective knowledge of people who know a lot more about guitars than I will ever know!

gpower

Blues Junior
The main difference between the 335 and 339 is the size of the body... 339 being more the size of an LP. I've played and/or owned Gibby and Epi versions of both, including Cowboy's 339 at an NE jam and, setup properly, would never be able to justify the 2K price difference between the Gibby and Epi.

I've become an Epi fan too: 2 LP's, Es-135, and latest edition an SG Standard.

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
This is a good review with the differences between the types. Please ignore the fact they are the Gibson's the Epi ones will have similar characteristics. And an even bigger request...don't blame me if you end up with a Gibby not an Epi:rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

cheers

Al.

sloslunas

NM Blues
Okay Mike...Let's be honest. Eventually you are going to wind up with both. The last thing in the world that you want to happen is that you drive away with that constant nagging feeling of "should I have bought the other". I am not sure what type of car that you you drive but I am confident that both will fit comfortably in the back seat of your car. The added bonus is that you are doing the entire planet a favor...by not wasting precious energy sources (gas), and that you are also not contributing to the pollution of the planet by making two trips (make sure that you bring these points up with your bride!). Happy hunting my friend...

Steve

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I can't speak specifically about either of those guitars.
However, I can say for sure, a good guitar won't make anyone a great player but it can inspire you to play better.
Personally I'd rather have one good guitar then ten crappy ones.
If it's an upgrade you can afford........Do it!

Last 2cents............
IMHO.....
Play it before you buy it.
I'm always amazed on how different guitars of the same make/model can sound.

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
Not that I would ever expect a consensus :), but in general, would the -339 Pro be a better choice than the -335 Pro? I know a lot (all?) of it depends on which guitar "picks" me, and I plan on playing both this afternoon... But if I were equally comfortable with each, what would be the pro/cons of one over the other?

Thanks for all of your input. I'm trying to leverage the collective knowledge of people who know a lot more about guitars than I will ever know!

I do won the 339, when I bought it, I was making the same decision. I thought the 335 had a deeper, more growly sound......think dusty old blues shack filled with cigar smoke, I loved everything about it,the feel, the play, the look.

The 339, is a little brighter, kind of a hey guys,how ya doing. I have done jazz licks on it, sounded awesome. My personal opinion, and some of the more learned guys could probably put it more technical than I can. The 339 is more crispy, more articulated on the individual notes, cleaner sound.

there just is no wrong decision...................I mean, its Ginger or Maryann, how do you pick ( theres another whole debate to have)

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
I have a knock-off 335 clone with GFS Alnico II Classic pickups in it that sound VERY close to a Gibby 335 (I played a Gibby 335 for years back in the day). I also have an Epi 339 Pro. I will take the 339 Pro any day of the week. It is an extremely versatile guitar, able to do most of what a Les Paul can do as well as most of what an ES335 can do. It is one of my top two guitars, and I own 15. I love it so much that I spent another $300.00 and put a Bigsby B5 and roller bridge on it. Yes, it is ever so slightly "brighter" than a 335, but the difference is subtle.
16648784283_75dd693324_o.jpg
Incidentally, you can put a Bigsby B5 on a 335 just as easy. I used a Vibramate adapter. It took a whole 20 minutes to install, is solid as a rock, and the guitar can be put back to stock in another 20 minutes. The Vibramate adapter just screws into the same studs as the old tail piece.
17269012725_e007814330_o.jpg

Last edited:

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
I have a knock-off 335 clone with GFS Alnico II Classic pickups in it that sound VERY close to a Gibby 335 (I played a Gibby 335 for years back in the day). I also have an Epi 339 Pro. I will take the 339 Pro any day of the week. It is an extremely versatile guitar, able to do most of what a Les Paul can do as well as most of what an ES335 can do. It is one of my top two guitars, and I own 15. I love it so much that I spent another $300.00 and put a Bigsby B5 on it. Yes, it is ever so slightly "brighter" than a 335, but the difference is subtle.
View attachment 594

Looks like you almost built a epiphone wildkat there.........

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
They only look similar. The Wildkat is a full hollow body with no center block and P90's ... a recipe for lots of uncontrollable feedback.

I actually bought one before the 339, was very excited, got home........spent some time just looking at it. tried for two weeks, could not get it to stay in tune, but yeah, it was a touch noisy. It was a purchase of look at the cool new shiny. I took it back and got my 339, been happy ever since

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
I actually bought one before the 339, was very excited, got home........spent some time just looking at it. tried for two weeks, could not get it to stay in tune, but yeah, it was a touch noisy. It was a purchase of look at the cool new shiny. I took it back and got my 339, been happy ever since
Yeah, not surprising. They put a Bigsby on the WildKat without a roller bridge. So one can pretty much forget about staying in tune. Have no idea what they are thinking.

KiloMike

Eager Student
Let us know which one follows you home... :)
xVvgY07azBE8p0-9iv_kOjAWjPDvoTFwxH-yNWXuNcUcyMfxmzBQ7ujqfXhunAWojcn0sI467Tlqbey3M1vJCBieU_JiikV50rH2hPNfxjMnjz84CEKa-J2SkBZ8jTJ4yWixSSV5YySQYqp3k4jYihHC49Z6m-VCbQIvGlxPrx4rEZAiRLt2wofskfYGWt0kincMaNWJa90Z2z3y3gRcabKJg-3X0ZGcd174MWBGsYqftiztGb8DiGQi-Q2lPyFqwGwJVlsHcha5mmF6p4jSGBZpsjOinpA-fXpUNXLKJFxoinEuICKhEVWCKSSKcgjNRoxHbzKz5dsOQt-ubPIjdDA3B39BIVLP7plmyWaiJ09VR4nW3u4P-5P3St6rA-XZfHp2Z0HKIH1ZWR40q0UPrZWTbcRiLUTFarBvDRSpNaSky0VGNByzbyhIPw-JnOM_9H0VW14hRfXbXE2GnSWJlW6_S6_IbjQQdDXackWVwODToiKSMqszpIyj1i6WBP5wFQUNQwpJRB-zDv_7vJTEK8M4uQpfwlCRHkD6ZBaR83Pmc52H6Hm8Xk3XR1aOxxHiEiAd-zxhA6yN5HxfKMUHJ20xcafADvQ=w368-h653-no

This cute little girl followed me home today. I went with the 339. Body size (mine and the guitar) ended up making the 339 more comfortable. Thanks for all of your input.

Now... what to name her... o_O

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
cvLWhReWz5UNi5MV7

This cute little girl followed me home today. I went with the 339. Body size (mine and the guitar) ended up making the 339 more comfortable. Thanks for all of your input.

Now... what to name her... o_O
as long as you dont call her Natalie......thats what I named mine

oh, the picture doesnt show,we need to see

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
hmmmmmmm, most excellent choice, I may know that one fairly well. In all honesty, they are a joy to play, and the clean sounds, they are out of this world

4-23-16-jam1.jpg

jackderby52

Prehistoric blues knob (not newbie)
She is Beautiful!! I must say that would have been my choice as well!! congratulations and enjoy!!!!