Anyone else shocked by Gibson's lower prices?

deejaid

Blues Junior
DEEJAID; sorry for going off subject there. I did see the price reduction and wonder how it came about...from what I am seeing in Sweetwater catalogue it seems to be approximately hanging around $600 (some more, some less) but it is good for us the consumers...Like you, I am starting to feel I can afford that FIREBIRD. I also feel it could possibly lower the price of used ones which would be better. It will be interesting to see if Fender, PRS, and other U.S. companies follow suit.

No apology needed blackcoffee. It's just weird that a year ago they decided they wanted to be a more boutique brand and raised their prices 29% across the board. Everyone on all of the guitar forums were up in arms over the increase and when the 2015 models came out, the stuff really hit the fan. Different body shape of the LP Junior, 1.87" nut widths, and the terrible les Paul signature on the headstock really had people complaining.

Now this year they reverted to pre 2015 specs and not only lowered the price, but lowered them to prices lower than before the increase, the Firebird is 30% lower.

I figured they could just go back to the pre 2015 pricing and buyers would be happy and sales would come back. The fact that the prices are even lower have me intrigued, but also sceptical.

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
I hadn't really noticed that they dropped their prices. What I had noticed was that they have a LOT more Studio models that are stripped down even more than the usual. They've got those 335 and 339s out now that are 1 Vol/1Tone and, until recently, didn't have the 57 Classic pups. If they're coming out with the more "budget" models and dropping the prices on some of the others, it does make one wonder.