What amp is this?

ingog

Started in 2009
I purchased a used amp. This might sound strange but I can't identify what it is. On the back it says "V SERIES amplification. In very small letters it states- St. Louis Music (it includes its address). ON the top where the knobs are is printed 1512 which is on top of a white "V" (like a the V on old ford V8s). On the front is a chrome (plastic) 15 on top of one of those "V"s. It s tube amp (6 I think). I think it has a spring reverb because when I bump it when its on I get that wiggly spring sound. Knobs: Gain,Treble, Mid, Bass, Level, Reverb. Green light. On/Off toggle. Opps, the picture is reversed.Photo on 3-9-16 at 8.36 PM.jpg The wire unplugs from the speaker and I can use it with speaker cabinets. I'm assuming it is 15 amps but has balls.
When I go to the St. Louis Music web site it doesn't mention anything about amp manufacturing.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member

Ding! Ding! Ding! Give that man a cigar and a kewpie doll!
good-job-smiley-emoticon.gif

Crate V1512
Looks like they're worth between $300 and $350 used. Don't think they're making them any more.

Last edited:

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I think ingog was trying to trick us with that reverse photo.
Ha....I'm no dummy, I just looked at the picture from behind my computer.
Voila!
The SI was revealed to me as a 15.;)

ingog

Started in 2009
Thanks guys. Why wouldn't CRATE put their name on it? My first amp is a VOX (see how nice it is when the manufacturer puts their name on the amp) AD30VT. Its got 11 modeling amps and 11 effects and other gizmos. It has one valve (English for tube) and, of course, the rest solid state. One of the differences is that the Crate recreates everything I do on my guitars. That is wonderful if you are good. For me, it also magnified my mistakes. It forces me to try to play much cleaner. It also made me realize how poor I am at muting unwanted strings sounds.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
At risk of stirring up the old Tube vs SS debate, my experience has been exactly what yours is.
I find the tube amps to be more directly connected to my every touch (mistakes and all).
Hope you enjoy your new amp:thumbup:

Last edited:

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
Thanks guys. Why wouldn't CRATE put their name on it? My first amp is a VOX (see how nice it is when the manufacturer puts their name on the amp) AD30VT. Its got 11 modeling amps and 11 effects and other gizmos. It has one valve (English for tube) and, of course, the rest solid state. One of the differences is that the Crate recreates everything I do on my guitars. That is wonderful if you are good. For me, it also magnified my mistakes. It forces me to try to play much cleaner. It also made me realize how poor I am at muting unwanted strings sounds.
It is also a wonderful thing, if you need improvement, which everyone does. If you practice with effects and/or amps that cover your mistakes, you tend not to notice them, and therefore don't work on correcting them.

A more transparent setup during practice, make you realize where your issues are so you can correct them. Acoustic guitars are great for this as well.

Good luck with the the new amp.

Last edited:

Norfolk Bill

norfolk uk, just knoodling along
Fully agree the cleaner the better when learning, od can cover up a poor technique, after saying that try using the boutique clean on your Vox it beautifull :)

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
Cute little amp. I tend to talk bad about Crate amps, because they make some real junk. But so does Fender. But there are some nice ones too. This looks like one of the nice ones. If it sounds good to you, it is good. Perhaps they kept their name off it because of perceived prejudice against the brand?

ingog

Started in 2009
What I really enjoy(ed) with the VOX is all the modeling amps. I'd never get to hear all those cabinets and their associated sounds (assuming that they are reasonable true representations). The instruction booklet that came with it gives a little history of how and why those sounds originated. For example, #3 is TWEED 4 X 10. Originally built in1959 was intended for the bass. Guitarists noticed that not only did adjusting the volume of the guitar allow for clean or some distortion but also how soft or hard you pick also was a distortion controller, apparently good for chords and lead.
I had many hours of fun with the Vox, first reading about each amp (history, explained sounds, and tube compliments) then trying them out. The differences were significant, especially with the hi-gain metal one's.
A nice feature on the amp power knob in the back. Apparently when you turn it down, you can max out the volume controls on top and get it to distort with hot maxed-out tubes and still keep the overall volume low so the neighbors and wife don't protest.
If you can download the VOX valvetronix owners manual for the AD15 (or 30,50,100)VT, AD100VTH you might enjoy reading it also. If not, send me a massage or email and I'll try do duplicate the 4 pages and get it to you.

Norfolk Bill

norfolk uk, just knoodling along
You dont have to worry on that score :), ive been using the origional"blue" series amps for years , actually got four of them, so im a bit of an expert on the valvetronix ,well sort of ;)they were the first generation before vox "dumbed" them down to be more affordable.When new about 2001 the ad120vtx and floor controller retailed at about £1200 ,

Bushwhacker

Suspect 1
Ingog, I too have what I call 'one of Bill's amps', a Vox AD50VT, plays beautifully, still experimenting! Have fun with the Crate!
Dave

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
Cute little amp. I tend to talk bad about Crate amps, because they make some real junk. But so does Fender. But there are some nice ones too. This looks like one of the nice ones. If it sounds good to you, it is good. Perhaps they kept their name off it because of perceived prejudice against the brand?
That could be it. I know Crate was the parent company for Blackheart. For a budget tube amp, I think the Blackhearts were the best bang for the buck you could find when they were making them...I like them so well I ended up with 3 of them. I've got a buddy that thought my 5 watt BH was the cat's meow until he read somewhere that it was part of the Crate family of brands. Suddenly he thought it was crap. He also knows I think he's a cork-sniffer.

I have an old Crate practice amp I got on the cheap at GC once out on the workbench just for the purpose of testing guitars when I'm working on them. Can't say that I've really ever played it to listen to it. Other than that one, I don't know that I've ever played a Crate to know what it was.

straightblues

Blues Junior
Those Vintage Club Series of Crate amps are actually very good amps. They can be had at a low cost because of the Crate name but they are really pretty good. I would go as far as to say they are the best bang for the buck tube amps out there. This series of amps were played by a few rock stars.

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
I have a friend who is a very good guitar and amp tech, as well as a great blues player, and he has worked on a lot of the different high $ boutique amps for various pro performers.
His personal favorite amp is the Hot Rod Deluxe, but he says the Crate Vintage Club series amps were very well made and sound great.
The ones I have heard did sound very good indeed, and I would not hesitate to have one. I'd just hesitate to carry it around a lot. These days I lean more towards the much lighter equipment.
Tom

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
And I love the old Ampeg guitar amps. Why else would I work so hard on mine? And Ampeg for bass amps is legendary. Ampeg and Crate were both made by St. Louis Music. As I said Fender also made some pretty cheaply made amps.

I have also read good things about the V Series from Crate. They also make what is called a Palomino Series which I think are cooler than snot!
rxznkgzu8ka8t8pezz6i.jpg

I used to feel the same way about Peavey, that they were second rate. They aren't boutique, but they make great amps at reasonable prices.