What to Learn

John Danielson

Blues Newbie
Hi, I am new to the BGU course, on Lesson 6 at this time. I've been playing for 48 years, not great, I know chords, notes of the fret board and am learning the scales.
While going thru the BGU coarse should I also be learning Guitar Technique, Rhythm, Scales, Picking technique, ect. or is this just to much while learning BGU?
Should I just stick with one thing or is it ok to learn other things while pursuing my one goal (BGU).
I don't one to get overwhelmed and lose site of my objective.
Thanks
JLD

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
You will find (most do) that if you stick doggedly with just one thing you will burn out on it, so there is nothing wrong with adding in other things (remember to play songs and have fun too).

Strick

Blues Newbie
Not being an expert on this but generally knowledgable about learning, I'd say if it feels like you're trying to take a drink from a firehose maybe you need to prioritize what you want to learn first. BUT if you got the time and energy to practice everything and you enjoy it, go for it. After 48 years of playing guitar, I'd say you are not going to "burn out" which could happen if you take on too much at one time and get frustrated. There are guys on this forum that could formulate a practice schedule which would organize what you really want to learn. BTW, the BGU course does sprinkle in various techniques through out the course. Before I found out that the internet had so many articles, video tutorials, etc, I didn't have a plan to get back into playing guitar. I was all over the place and not learning or progressing in my playing. I found Griff's course BGU and stuck with it as I do like the blues sound. This helped me progress along with the extra time I gained after I retired.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
Hey John, It really depends on your time availability and your learning preference. I started out with Little Wing and then Acoustic Blues Guitar Unleashed. I worked on these courses for a few months each. I found a few weak points in my abilities. So I examined the courses that were available. I worked the Pentatonic Mastery for a few months and then the Strumming and Rhythm Mastery for a few months. And then I started developing a library............ Each course I find takes a few months to take any effect on my playing. The test for me is jamming to the Blues station or playing open mics. I agree with Mike in that I have to play different things as I work on a new course. Sometimes it will be dusting off a course I've already finished (and utilizing my new skills), learning a new song for an open mic, or jamming to a Blues station or you-tube full concerts. I need to get to some of these Blues backing tracks at some point........ I hope this helps.

John Danielson

Blues Newbie
You will find (most do) that if you stick doggedly with just one thing you will burn out on it, so there is nothing wrong with adding in other things (remember to play songs and have fun too).
Well thats what I was thinking. I want to keep it fun, but I also don't want to loose track of my goal. Thanks for the input

John Danielson

Blues Newbie
Not being an expert on this but generally knowledgable about learning, I'd say if it feels like you're trying to take a drink from a firehose maybe you need to prioritize what you want to learn first. BUT if you got the time and energy to practice everything and you enjoy it, go for it. After 48 years of playing guitar, I'd say you are not going to "burn out" which could happen if you take on too much at one time and get frustrated. There are guys on this forum that could formulate a practice schedule which would organize what you really want to learn. BTW, the BGU course does sprinkle in various techniques through out the course. Before I found out that the internet had so many articles, video tutorials, etc, I didn't have a plan to get back into playing guitar. I was all over the place and not learning or progressing in my playing. I found Griff's course BGU and stuck with it as I do like the blues sound. This helped me progress along with the extra time I gained after I retired.
There is so much out there on the net that one could get overwhelmed. I realize this and only look at things that interest me, but again I don't want to get side tracked on my goals.
I've set up a schedule where I practice the BGU for about an hour or more. I usually at this point (only on lesson 6) I go back over each lesson that I have already learned just to keep it fresh. As I go on I won't be going back that far but will probably go back a lesson or 2 as I progress thru BGU.
I think I will add in some other stuff to learn such as scales, rhythem, ect. Also learn a new song here and there.
Is it alright to be learning another course of Griffs while continuing on with BGU?
Thanks for everyones input

HotLks

Blues - it's in me and it's got to come out.
John -

I came in to BGU knowing that I wanted to be an accomplished rhythm player. I started with 52 Rhythm Fills and Variations. I put that aside for Blues Guitar Unleashed which starts with rhythm. Maybe when I finish the rhythm part of BGU I will go back to 52 RF&V. It depends on if I'll be happy still working on only rhythm. If I want to take a break from rhythm, I'll continue with BGU and move into the Lead section.

I guess what I'm trying to say is this, Stay organized, don't neglect your interests and try to stay satisfied with your practice and your progress.

You can be confident that you are working with an effective system which ever way you choose to go.

See you down the road!

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
Only you know what your goals are and what your ability is. If you are capable of and interested in learning more than one thing at a time then go for it.

There are many techniques used by Blues Guitar Players. Griff's BGU course will introduce you to some of them. If you are interested, I would suggest you find examples on YouTube etc. of Blues Techniques, and practice them. Things like bends, slides, picking technique, muting, right hand position, left hand position, holding the guitar, and the list goes on.

It helps to develop good habits at the start.

Tom

giayank

Just another day in paradise
As Tom has said . Good to start out with good habits . All good ideas and good advise . What works for me when i'm learning some new theory , scales etc. is I study it on paper when I'm away from my guitar . I always have some tab or a reference book with me at work or while i'm waiting for an appointment . Really helps me to memorize the material when I see the printed tab . Oh and by the way BGU is great reference material .

Thatman

Playin' for the fun of it.
Hi, I am new to the BGU course, on Lesson 6 at this time. I've been playing for 48 years, not great, I know chords, notes of the fret board and am learning the scales.
While going thru the BGU coarse should I also be learning Guitar Technique, Rhythm, Scales, Picking technique, ect. or is this just to much while learning BGU?
Should I just stick with one thing or is it ok to learn other things while pursuing my one goal (BGU).
I don't one to get overwhelmed and lose site of my objective.
Thanks
JLD

If you feel your getting stuck, bored or frustrated with where your at then branch out and have a go at something fresh. The important thing is to keep keen and working at anything is progress. :)

John Danielson

Blues Newbie
I do get somewhat bored after practicing the same lesson for an hour or more. Just looking to see if jumping ahead to get something fresh would hurt.

Momantai

Red nose, red guitar
I never do a lesson more than about 15 minutes. Then I'm fed-up with it and switch to another. That's a good reason to have a lot of (Griff's) courses, a lot of lessons to pick from. ;)
Maybe you need more courses (GAS....) :cool:

John Danielson

Blues Newbie
Yeah, I usually practice a lesson for at least an hour, and then I'm ready for something else. Right now I usually go back 2 or 3 lessons and re-practice them.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
Yeah, I usually practice a lesson for at least an hour, and then I'm ready for something else. Right now I usually go back 2 or 3 lessons and re-practice them.
That's what I kinda do right now. I work on something for about an hour. Then I get up and look through BGU to see if I need to add to a discussion........ Then I'll get right back to it! Then the next hour same thing, maybe I'll get another cup of tea if it's before 3:00PM or a beer if it's happy hour!! :p

John Danielson

Blues Newbie
That's what I kinda do right now. I work on something for about an hour. Then I get up and look through BGU to see if I need to add to a discussion........ Then I'll get right back to it! Then the next hour same thing, maybe I'll get another cup of tea if it's before 3:00PM or a beer if it's happy hour!! :p
Mtman: Seems we do about the same thing. I don't necessarily master a lesson before moving on but will come back to it many times.