Standing Up or Sitting down?

L

LynnLaFrance

Just curious if you are doing the warmups and timing exercises standing up or sitting down?  I'm actually doing them both ways - alternating days sitting then standing.  I'm finding standing is a bit more challenging but keeps me from looking at the fretboard as much as when I do them sitting.

Spencer

Blues Newbie
I do both. Normally I do the warms ups sitting then sometime during practice stand up when I think about it.

vashondan

Blues Doobie
No standing for me.  Seems like it would be like learning a new language.  I've done everything sitting.  Guess I'll have to venture into standing at some point.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I mostly do them while sitting. After all, I'm not going to be playing these warm up exercises for an audience. I stand to practice my solos for my band. It's definitely a different experience. Not quite like learning all over again, but it does take some getting used to.

stratogeezer

Blues Newbie
It is a good thing to practice playing standing up once in a while.
I'm a sitter but have been getting used to standing and it's a plus.
It was difficult at first but it gets easier as time goes by.
As for learning lessons or doing drills I'd be sitting down for that sort of practice.

Jon3b

Blues Newbie
Mostly sitting. The only times I'll stand are when I play out in the garage, or when practicing the band's playlist. Either way, warmups and drills get played first. 

Chuck

Moderator (One of the Men in Black!)
Staff member
Mostly sitting for me as well. I do wear a strap while sitting so I hold the the guitar similar to standing.

bluzgtr

Blues Newbie
Sitting most of the time and always with a strap.  I started standing once in awhile after seeing video of the BGU Jam.  I also started to stand to work some of the kinks out of the back after sitting so long.    Mike

JohnF

Blues Junior
I'm sitting most of the time but after a stretch when the band hadn't got together for a bit, standing up to play was a challenge. I try to mix it up so I don't get used to one thing.

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
I always sit and use a strap as I only play by myself. If I were going to go to a jam or play with others I would practice standing but it doesn't seem necessary right now. :)

B

bplavoie

Even though I've adjustment my strap so the guitar is in a similar position both standing and sitting, I've always found playing while sitting difficult. I stand almost all the time. I found exercise 3 nearly impossible while sitting - it got easier when I stood.