Heir to the throne??

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
The position was created by the man.  The position ends with the man. Asking another to take over "the throne" will always invite comparision.  There is no comparison.  We should bury the throne with the man.  There was only one B.B. King.  RIP, BB!
Well said Lloyd, Bury the throne with the man. There will never be another.

tommytubetone

Great Lakes
I believe that Buddy Guy may fill that void...later.

cowboy
I hope so Cowboy. That's why I ordered a wall hanger for my 1995 Buddy Guy Signature Strat. Let her hang there and increase in value.  ::) The other plus is now I have to get another strat.  ;)

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I hope so Cowboy. That's why I ordered a wall hanger for my 1995 Buddy Guy Signature Strat. Let her hang there and increase in value.  ::) The other plus is now I have to get another strat.  ;)

That sounds like a win-win situation for you, Tom!  [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

steve in maine

Blues Newbie
I agree that Buddy Guy will help to fill the void.
Thank fully there are a lot of good young player .
Am I the only one that wonders what Jim I would be playing
Now if he had stayed down here with us mellowed with age.
BB IS KING of the blues.
I wonder if it's hard to get concert tickets in heaven.

Rick_Cichon

Blues Newbie
All I know is that Jimi, SRV and B.B. are likely jammin' their butts off making St. Peter's socks roll up and down and the angels do the boogie.  ;D
Can't wait to see that show :-?, Oh, wait, I'm not quite ready to see it just yet.

Rick_Cichon

Blues Newbie
Back when Jimi died, Robin Trower was dubbed "Heir to the throne". I've met Mr Trower and have seen his concerts a couple of times. He's a fantastic guitarist, puts on a great show and certainly has is own style. Did he occupy the throne and live up to the expectations of the minions? I don't think so, he carved his own niche and we're all better for it.
Maybe for someone to have a throne, they must make their own, BBs should only be occupied by Lucille, in a museum. 
If there is an heir, he/she can't ride BBs coat tails to it. It's going to have to be someone that truly pioneers their own style and signature, adds something more to the blues. How does that happen with a genre of music that's been around for over 100 years? I don't know, but I can't wait to see.
All of this is my own opinion, based on my own speculation.
As a teen in the 70s, my stepfather tried to tell me that "everything that can be done with Rock and Roll has already been done." Then came Eddie Van Halen.  ;D

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
I agree that Buddy Guy is the last remaining elder statesman of the blues genre. But to suggest that he would "replace" the King, or usurp the throne.... No, I just don't think so. Buddy Guy was a contemporary of the King, and even if it were a literal position to be filled, I don't think Buddy Guy would take it.

There are some great Blues guys out there, (as well as a couple of Blues gals), each contributing their bit. And let's not forget that not only are some contributing, but some are also mentoring; such as Buddy mentoring young Mr. Quinn Sullivan. I've seen him, the blues are in good hands.

Then there is Griff Hamlin, Marty Schwartz, and, in turn, all of you. Keeping the blues alive. Nay, did I say alive? Not merely alive, but if national trends are too be believed, growing in popularity.

There are those that will always stand out, and stand apart. BB King, and Buddy Guy for the blues, Gene Krupa and Buddy Rich for jazz, and there will never be a progressive rock musician/composer/performer that will match Frank Zappa. These people are unique talents who did not just play music; they lived it. Music did not make them what they were, music was what they were. They were the pioneers, the front runners, laying the path for all who follow.

I do not believe there will ever be another "King"; some people will never be replaced, but I do believe that the blues will live on.

Rest in peace, Mr King, you were an inspiration to so many, and have given so much to the world. You taught us that the blues isn't something to be merely played, or heard, but to be fealt deep in the soul. In short, your music touched the souls of all who heard it. What better gift can any man give mankind?

Great post... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]...and I'm in agreement...later.

cowboy

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
In my little world, from my viewpoint, there are three thrones:  Jimi, SRV and B.B.   They all left a huge influence.  There are others as well, but in my personal little world, these three are at the top.

samwell

been here.....
The position was created by the man.  The position ends with the man. Asking another to take over "the throne" will always invite comparision.  There is no comparison.  We should bury the throne with the man.  There was only one B.B. King.  RIP, BB!
Well said Lloyd, Bury the throne with the man. There will never be another.

Absolutely, BB's probably havin' one of his righteous chuckles watching/listening to this conversation even happening.... [smiley=beer.gif]

ingog

Started in 2009
I had a guitar teacher that said to pretend that each time you play a note in a solo or riff, it is like spending money. Make each and everyone count. Bonamasso is a virtuoso, but to my taste, he spends much too much money too quickly.  But obviously I'm in the minority with that opinion.

RALKITE

Blues Newbie
BB seemed to be the man everyone wanted to be on stage with, to both show their respect and gather the respect from those aspiring to be on that stage.

maybe the question is who will everyone want to be on stage with now?
Kieth Richards????

Domesticus

Blues Newbie
I had a guitar teacher that said to pretend that each time you play a note in a solo or riff, it is like spending money. Make each and everyone count. Bonamasso is a virtuoso, but to my taste, he spends much too much money too quickly.  [glow=yellow,2,300]But obviously I'm in the minority with that opinion.[/glow]

I'm definitely with you on this, so you might be with the minority, but you are not alone.

Watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ueaANdi5em4

The way these guys trade licks, especially in the second half of the video, gives me goosebumps every time I watch it.

Isn't that what we are talking about?

Stewart_C

Blues Newbie
Watch this:

The way these guys trade licks, especially in the second half of the video, [glow=yellow,2,300]gives me goosebumps every time I watch it.

[/glow]

It surely is. - Bliss !!

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
I think B.B. was buried yesterday....
Hopefully they Buried the throne with him; and "Lucille"
      If not, Buddy Guy, deserves it...

ytfeL

Blues Newbie
Today was the viewing in Vegas. This coming Wednesday he'll be flown to Memphis for a service on Beale St. A week from tomorrow, on May 30th, he'll be laid to rest, privately, in Mississippi.

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
Thanks for the correction.....I been on the road since before he passed......and have not been able to keep up......I was just going by what seems be the "NORM".....nowdays...but again B.B. was not the NORM....
The KING OF ROCK N' ROLL crown has never been officially passed on, Elvis still has it..and I have A feeling that is going to happen in this case.....I sure hope so.....

ytfeL

Blues Newbie
Thanks for the correction.....I been on the road since before he passed......and have not been able to keep up......I was just going by what seems be the "NORM".....nowdays...but again B.B. was not the NORM....
The KING OF ROCK N' ROLL crown has never been officially passed on, Elvis still has it..and I have A feeling that is going to happen in this case.....I sure hope so.....

Not a problem....almost seems fitting the way he just was at home on the road his whole life. FWIW, sirius radio's "Bluesville" station on the "Jazz" category has been playing all B.B. since his passing. I've been purposely driving A LOT!  McMike

Rick_Cichon

Blues Newbie
I had a guitar teacher that said to pretend that each time you play a note in a solo or riff, it is like spending money. Make each and everyone count. Bonamasso is a virtuoso, but to my taste, he spends much too much money too quickly.  [glow=yellow,2,300]But obviously I'm in the minority with that opinion.[/glow]

I'm definitely with you on this, so you might be with the minority, but you are not alone.

Watch this:

The way these guys trade licks, especially in the second half of the video, gives me goosebumps every time I watch it.

Wow!! That was tasty

ingog

Started in 2009
Thanks so much for that video.   THAT is what I aspire to. That was not guitar playing. That was singing through a guitar, individually and together.  My wife is fluent in three languages. I asked her when she knew she was fluent. She said when she dreamed in the language.  When you can THINK a melodic sequence and your fingers just DO it, with no translation, you are at a level I truly envy. That video is going in my library.