Surfers Rule !

Alexander Blue

Surfers Rule !!!
       Hey Cats & Jammers,

Just received Griff's e-mail : 'Watch and learn.'
  Great to hear you are a surfer Tater ... what Break is your favorite ?

Thought it might be fun to ask the Forum who among you is or were (once you are you remain for life, even if you are now physically unable) a surfer and what Break is your favorite ?

Mine is San Onofre in California and I have 2 on The North Shore of Oahu where I lived for a number of years in my youth and just a couple years ago : Sunset & Chun's Reef.
   As I get older it seems my boards get longer : my main longboard currently and has been for 5 years is a 10' Dewey Weber made especially for me. It's huge and would float an elephant.
   I know Carlos is a surfer (losfish) ... any more out there ?

A.B.

FishKiller

Blues Newbie
Yea man!  As I got older my boards got longer also, my main board is a 9'6" Bing classic nose rider, I also have a G&S 7'2" big wave gun pintail, it seldom gets big enough here for the gun.  My favorite spot out west is El Capitan state park AWESOME right point break. Here in the east it's a place we call the gun mounts, they are gun mounts left over from WWII on a uninhabitated beach, only can get to them by boat, it takes a real big swell for the mounts to go off--but when they do--I am  there!

Carlos

Elio

Student Of The Blues
My only attempts at surfing did not end well, but I windsurfed for quite a few years everywhere from San Pedro to Santa Barbara, and occasionally Baja. El Capitan is still one of my favorites, as well. These days, I mostly get up there just to visit the in-laws and the wineries on the way.

sloslunas

NM Blues
uh...my surfing career ended in La Jolla. Went to the North Shore in Hawaii...but figured looking at those that knew what they were doing and drinking some cold beer was more better.

Grateful_Ed

Student Of The Blues
I grew up 30 minutes from Mavericks. Closest I ever came to surfing myself was a "boogie board", body surfing at Santa Cruz and a passionate crush on Annette Funicello.
Don't get me wrong, I'm no poser, I'm a wanna be.

Dr. Ron

Nuthin’ But The Blues!
My first board was an O'Neill 9' 6".  My favorite was my
10' Weber Performer which was a noserider with a removable hachet skeg and 22" rails.  I surfed for 10 years from Bolinas, CA to San Miguel Beach in Mexico.  Steamer Lane and Stockton Ave in Santa Cruz were among my favorite spots though Huntington Beach was nice.  "Endless Summer", the Beach Boys, Ventures, etc.....great time to grow up.

tommytubetone

Great Lakes
I lived in the Chicago area for the first thirty one years of my life, and never knew this was going on. After my daughter went out to California to attend grad school, she became aware of this video, and sent it to me. She was in Chicago visiting with some old friends from UW Madison over the Christmas holiday, and I was in town, and went to pick her up. We pulled up to a stoplight on Sheridan Road near Lake Michigan, and a couple of surfers crossed in front of us heading for the lake. Never saw that before, ever. "Unsalted" is a great movie, if you are interested. In the end, a bunch of pro surfers from California visited Lake Superior in January, and one declared it the most perfect wave  he had ever seen. The downside is the icicles that will be hanging from your wetsuit hood.  ;D.   Worth a watch for you serious surfers.   ;).      http://youtu.be/JiEi59gm0io

Boysie

Just for fun
I surfed from age 14 (1963) to age 32 until a traffic incident. My favourate surf spots were Avoca, Crescent head, Angourie, Lennox head, Mossy Point and Bells Beach, all in NSW Australia except for Bells in Victoria.

vashondan

Blues Doobie
Haven't been in the water in many many years but grew up on the Venice Santa Monica beaches starting in the early 60's.  Surfboard, boogie board, body surfing.  Favorite break Ventura County Line. 

FishKiller

Blues Newbie
Haven't been in the water in many many years but grew up on the Venice Santa Monica beaches starting in the early 60's.  Surfboard, boogie board, body surfing.  Favorite break [glow=yellow,2,300]Ventura County Line.[/glow] 

Rincon!! I had an awsome session there in 87 surfing under a full moon, just incredible!

Carlos

kdmccarty

Blues Newbie
Lived in Ventura area several years ago and tried surfing having lived in California my whole life but found I was more of a drowner than surfer although I swim and used to scuba.

RALKITE

Blues Newbie
I only surf with a kite. who wants to paddle back out.
i teach kitesurfing but only bother to kitesurf myself in a nice break.
Pt Danger, Torquay. Bells, 13th beach, Waratah bay, Venus Bay, Lennox heads, Black rock(near Ballina), Kanaha (until I was told it was kite free). Smith's beach Phillip Island.
there was a beach that's name alludes me on the NE tip of Tassie that had a sweet point break.
but PT Danger at Torquay with it's circuit of 3 breaks is still the favourite.
http://youtu.be/YNSq4Nkx6vI?list=UUz7cWKptxHPmgLmrEnobmKA

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
My wife is from Peru, and for those of you familiar with surfing, Peru has some good places to surf.  In fact, the seasons are different in Peru.  You see, Christmas occurs in the summer in the Southern Hemisphere, while it is Winter here.  Santa Claus takes advantage of that by leaving his reindeer at the North Pole, and  rides a surf board with toys for the boys and girls in Peru.   :)

By the way my brother loved to surf, using a board, and body surfing.  Santa Cruz, Half Moon Bay, and San Francisco were the places he liked. 

Santa Cruz has a nice museum.

http://www.santacruzsurfingmuseum.org/

Tom 

vashondan

Blues Doobie
Haven't been in the water in many many years but grew up on the Venice Santa Monica beaches starting in the early 60's.  Surfboard, boogie board, body surfing.  Favorite break [glow=yellow,2,300]Ventura County Line.[/glow] 

Rincon!! I had an awsome session there in 87 surfing under a full moon, just incredible!

Carlos

Rincon is definitely a pretty break. I can picture being there with a full moon.  Awesome.

roozy

Blues Newbie
My one and only attempt was at Pacific Beach, CA.  Tried on a long board that was extra heavy due to repairs.  SCUBA is my thing.

jackderby52

Prehistoric blues knob (not newbie)
Windsurfer in the summer, snowboarder in the winter…   The perfect day is 85, sunny and windy on a 5.5….   :cool:

Alexander Blue

Surfers Rule !!!
My first board was an O'Neill 9' 6".  My favorite was my
10' Weber Performer which was a noserider with a removable hachet skeg and 22" rails.  I surfed for 10 years from Bolinas, CA to San Miguel Beach in Mexico.  Steamer Lane and Stockton Ave in Santa Cruz were among my favorite spots though Huntington Beach was nice.  "Endless Summer", the Beach Boys, Ventures, etc.....great time to grow up.

Ya man Dr. Ron ... it was a great time to grow up and then that damn Viet Nam War got in the way.   :mad:

I learned to surf when I was a kid where you live ... back when it truly was 'Killer Dana'. What an awesome break ... damn shame what it is now but I guess it serves a good purpose providing a beginners break ... have not stopped by Doheny in a long while ... might have to go and camp for a night just to relive some fond memories I have of the place.

@ Carlos : Ya Brah, Rincon really go's off at times ... We had an epic day and night there the last Safari we went on ... gotta do again    :)

A.B.

vashondan

Blues Doobie
Hey Guys, Check out this break.  Watch the guy coming down the face of this monster at 00:50.

http://digg.com/video/unbelievably-people-are-actually-surfing-these-massive-waves?utm_source=digg&utm_medium=email