thinking of an Austin trip

duaneve

Blues Newbie
Any advice on this city as far as must sees for bars/music , where to stay?
SRV memorial is on the list of things to do.  Also is it a safe place overall. Any tips would be great.

Chief Rick

Struggling but Determined Intermediate Level
I lived in Austin for a couple of years around 1990.  It's the wrong season, but Hamilton Pool south of town is pretty awesome, with a waterfall and a grotto beneath.  Also, if I were going back, I would go to the original Salt Lick, which is in the middle of nowhere south of the city, but I understand that now it's a franchise with a couple of other locations.   Their barbecue is fantastic and it's all you can eat, but the original site is (or at least it was) in a dry area so BYOB and they'll let you drink there.   Have fun on Sixth Street.

1scot

Blues Newbie
Threadgills, it's a diner/ music venue.  There's the original one on the north end of town and a newer one on the south end. Try to hit the one on the north end. We were there at the end of October and saw the former keyboard player from Asleep at the Wheel and another guy playing keyboard along with him, playing some ragtime music. The diner (where we were) has a small stage ,  and out behind the diner is a bigger music hall. Janis Joplin played it back in the day !!
And oh,............  the food was pretty good too !!

puakodiverdan

Blues Newbie
Austin is my old home town grew up there, lots to do and see there, be sure and hit 6th street lots of bars there of all kinds and lots of music there.