Rocksmith 2014 Demo

E

elpee

maybe this Aerosmith tune would have been more apt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSuyAq0OMgs   :p

ihorowitz

Blues Newbie
color blind mode
That's interesting, how does this work? The colors have put me off as I am also color blind.

cheers

Al.

Here's a video that explains colorblind mode...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-TIgMa0uik

basically it makes it the colors a bit more bold.. not quite changing them- just making each a bit more distinct.

My issue is grouped around certain colors; blues&purples,greens & browns... etc.  When colors are close together (as in the light frequency)  I often recognize them as the wrong color.  So making the string colors more distinct helps.

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
Thanks for the link. I guess it could work. My colour blindness is a red/green defficency so I think the most common so probably one of the two they are talking about.

I can't decide if this is a useful practice tool or another distraction. I can't help thinking if I ignored all the distractions and practiced more I would get on better.  :-/

cheers

Al.

Rockybottom

Senior Bluesman
inverting the strings has helped. I set the color to colorblind, but it really didn't seem to do much. Still, with the inverted strings I've been able, in just a couple of hours, to get 100% accuracy and 100% speed on some part of Paint It Black, but I have no idea how to get back to that. LOL

I selected Lead, but somewhere along the line it started displaying the chords (that follow the intro lick). It was on the chords that  I got 100% Speed & Accuracy.

There's one part of the intro that has me stumped. I wish they would present the tab, so that I can see what it is that I'm supposed to be doing.

I think it's supposed to figure out the area of the lead where I'm missing the same notes and slow down & practice that part, but so far I haven't seen that.

I think that if I ever get my brain wrapped around the visual interface, it will be more fun and less frustrating.

Some arrangements are classed as "Combo" so will have some chords in them.

To get the slow down and speed up and level up function you have to go to Riff repeater.  It should direct you there if you are having trouble with a specific part when you finish playing and hit return, usually in one of th three tick boxes it gives you as a suggestin for improvement.

Also, when you have selected a song to play scroll down past the tick boxes and go to "Score Attack" and select "Easy".  This starts you off VERY SLOW and then builds up until you score well at easy.  You can then mov eup to the next stage and eventually master level.

:) :) :cool:

ihorowitz

Blues Newbie
I can't decide if this is a useful practice tool or another distraction. I can't help thinking if I ignored all the distractions and practiced more I would get on better.  :-/

cheers

Al.

I think if you're not sure, you should hold off.  But make no mistake this is no distraction, it is practice.

Really the thing that made me get it was I got excited because I felt there were enough features to make me want to grab my git every day and play something productive.

A big draw for me was learning songs.  Are they all songs I'm interested in?  not really, but I looked at the list of songs I could buy and felt, in the long run, it'd be useful.  Could I just download the tab?  sure, but I find I do a little better with some guidance.

Then I tried session mode.. very cool.. and the games are actually technique drills in disguise- well, it's not like I couldn't use that work.

Rocky's already described the depth of RS, so I don't need to say much more on that.  I guess it's a long winded way to say if it looks cool I think it's worth your time.  Too bad there's no way to demo it.   :mad:

Thatman

Playin' for the fun of it.
I too have been in two minds, to buy or not to buy, because I have read so many pros and cons, so I just bought it I thought what the heck, if I can't treat myself to a little snippet at my age then what's it all about, so bought it, played with it, am I pleased with it. You Bet.  :)

DesmoDog

Desmo was my dog. RIP big guy
I got it for Christmas and have used it some since. Overall I like it, but do have a few comments.

First of all, I'm using it on a Mac. It absolutely, positively was never meant to be used on the Mac. Yes, they ported it so it WOULD work, but the interface is pretty horrible if you're used to a Mac. As a small example, shutting down is counter-intuitive. You have to hit escape to exit, then a screen comes up and asks if you'd like to continue exiting. So you have to hit "continue" to stop. After that another screen comes up and you have to hit escape again to get out of the program. Sounds like a small thing, and it is, but there are countless details like that.

Not all the songs are available for the Mac.

Being used to tab I'd like to have it available. Starting a new song, the notes just start coming at you and I feel entirely overwhelmed until I slow it WAY down and repeat riffs. even then, when you start out some of the notes are omitted, so it doesn't sound like what I'm expecting. I just think it'd be nice to be able to study tab to see what to expect, but it's not a showstopper.

Also being used to tab, the diagram they use for the strings seems upside down to me. hey have th strings oriented like you would see them on the guitar, low strings on top. Having read music for years, and being used to tab now, that's backwards. Low notes "should be" on the bottom. Yes, you can change that in settings. i did and things are going smoother now.

I still don't remember the different colors for the strings. I go by position more than color. Again that's where tab might help. Or I just need to use it enough to learn the colors.

The Chords exercise repeats from the beginning each time. I keep waiting for it to advance but no, each time, it starts out by describing what a chord is. Yeah, I got that quite some time ago. No need to keep repeating it.

Along those lines, the default setting for repeating riffs is to not automatically advance. This can be changed and I like the "game" better now that I did. Get it right enough times and it adds notes and makes things more difficult.

There doesn't seem to be any sort of documentation on how to use the program? I spent a lot of time just figuring out how things work. I'm still figuring it out.

The server for ubisoft seems unstable. There was about a week where I couldn't connect so none of the on line features of the game worked. I could still use it to work on the songs and do exercises, I just couldn't connect to buy new songs and that sort of thing.

So like I said, overall I like it and think it'll probably help. I'm not in love with it though, it could be done better. A LOT better. But it's still good.

EDIT: Ok, so I just tried to download a song for Rocksmith. On the first one, I got all the way through the checkout with a few minor difficulties, only to have the purchase fail because it said I need to own Rocksmith. Ummm... ok... the song said it was for Rocksmith, and compatible with Rocksmith 2014 but apparently not. So then I went back to buy something else that said it was for RS 2014. Got to the screen to enter payment info (since I chose not to have it save my info, I've been burned/hacked with that before) and every time I try to choose payment type, it switches back to the previous screen. And did I mention that through all of this, I can't scroll down on a screen? It scrolls down then jumps back to the top of the page. I have to resize the screen to get to the tab to actually buy something.

The Mac interface for this program is truly horrible.

ianljj

Blues Newbie
I just got my copy this morning.  I have about an hour into it and it has met my expectations (thanks to this thread).  I am still adjusting settings and getting used to the interface, which to me, is very close to tab. 

For me, this has satisfied 2 urges.  1 for apractice tool, and 1 for a computer game.   [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Ian

anthonyp

Blues Newbie
I got it for Christmas, tried fooling around with it, put it back in the box and put it on a shelf and that's where it staying! Don't kid yourself with this glorified version of guitar hero! its easier to pull up a YouTube video of a song and learn it that way than to try and follow the graphics on rocksmith, maybe its good for someone who has never played before at all and is good with video games, but definitely not for me!

DesmoDog

Desmo was my dog. RIP big guy
Here's my latest gripe about Rocksmith 2014. In the advertising they talk about how many songs are available for it. They say that RS2014 can play all the songs from the original Rocksmith.

That's only sort of true. While it is true that RS2014 can play the files from the original game, they don't tell you that to buy those songs you have to already OWN the original game. As in, if you buy only RS2014, you CAN NOT buy the songs that were released for the original game.

This seems to only be true for the PC and Mac versions of the songs? I'm not up on all the tech behind the game but there's software called "Steam" that controls what you buy for the game and it will not allow you to buy the old songs for the new game, even though it will let you see them and put them in your "cart". And the advertising at the very least implies you can if not states it outright.

Some people are getting around this by buying a copy of the original game. Then I guess there's an additional "tool" you have to buy?

Bottom line is, you CAN NOT use the older songs with the new version if you did not own the original version also.

So it seems I was wrong when I said not all songs are available for the Mac. It's not Mac specific.

Yet another disappointment from the "game". I'd give it a 2 out of 4 star rating at this point. it could be SO much better.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I'm having video problems with Rocksmith 2014.
It worked fine for a month or so, but now it looks like it is set up to be played while wearing 3D glasses (see below). RS 2014 is the only thing on my PC affected like this. According to a tech at Ubsoft, 3D is not an option, so it's not some 3D setting that got switched.
Any ideas on how to fix this? It is unplayable like this.

Rockybottom

Senior Bluesman
The only thing I can suggest other than uninstalling and reinstalling again is to go to tools(space bar), then options, then reset to default, just in case anything has been changed and created some video conflict in the drivers.  Have you installed any other software lately that could have changed the video card settings?

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
The only thing I can suggest other than uninstalling and reinstalling again is to go to tools(space bar), then options, then reset to default, just in case anything has been changed and created some video conflict in the drivers.  Have you installed any other software lately that could have changed the video card settings?

I tried the reset to default with no results.
The only thing that's changed (and it's a biggie) is I went from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1. I can't swear that the timing on the strange video EXACTLY corresponds to Win 8.1, but it could.

Is anyone else running this on Win 8.1?

Rockybottom

Senior Bluesman
On the case for the game it does say windows 8(windows & recommended) so it could be you have the problem spotted.  Interesting to see if others come back on that.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I think it is looking like a driver problem.
I told Windows to update my driver, but it said they were up to date.
Then I told windows to remove my video card (NVIDIA GeForce GT420)
Once the card was no longer in my list of devices, Rocksmith ran perfectly.

Rockybottom

Senior Bluesman
Looked like a driver issue. If you need any of the additional functions from the NVidia driver you could try rolling back the driver, but if you are happy with the windows default driver I guess you can just leave it.  Glad you sorted it anyway.