How to Fake any song

L

LynnLaFrance

Ran across this video - very well done and presented.

The idea being that you can almost (that is almost) play any song only using the I IV and V of a chord family.  The theory behind it is explained.

Hope it helps!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgvqfgjs8VQ

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
thanks my friend.....goes great with my philosophy...."when in doubt, fake it"... :-?...later.

cowboy

actually liked the theory behind it.... ;)

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
thanks my friend.....goes great with my philosophy[glow=yellow,2,300]...."when in doubt, fake it"... [/glow]:-?...later.

cowboy

actually liked the theory behind it.... ;)
You mean there's another way to play?   :-?

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
I do not have a clue what that dude is saying.
Andrew's Canadian accent must be throwing you off.

Seriously, though, he has a lot of really good stuff on his youtube & website and he's often pretty heavily into theory.

Jacass

Blues Newbie
Andrew's Canadian accent must be throwing you off.

Seriously, though, he has a lot of really good stuff on his youtube & website and he's often pretty heavily into theory.

Canadian, to me that was gibberenglish. I'm a century away from that language.

[smiley=beer.gif]Cass.

david moon

Attempting the Blues

[smiley=beer.gif] Cass.

Are you talking about his accent, or the content? I thought it made a lot of sense, and he played it at the end.

Jacass

Blues Newbie
Yeah I understand the individual words ok. It's the sentences I don't understand. It's way beyond my understanding.

It'll take me a lifetime to understand what he was talking about.
[smiley=beer.gif] Cass.

FishKiller

Blues Newbie
Good stuff, a little trick bass players use all the time--when in doubt play a I & V
Thanks for the post Lynn.

Carlos

vashondan

Blues Doobie
That was cool.  Today I was trying to unpack one of the 5 Easy Blues Solos so this was timely.  Thanks

BoogieMan

Blues Junior
I've always done this by ear but it was interesting to see the theory behind it.  Of course the ear is the best method in the situation he describes (being thrown a request).  And it is true that you can get through most simple songs with the 3 chords (with an occasional minor thrown in).    Many a time I've been asked to pull out my guitar for an impromptu singalong and been able to get by with only a l lV V.  Try it with some Christmas carols.

Rockybottom

Senior Bluesman
Yeah I understand the individual words ok. It's the sentences I don't understand. It's way beyond my understanding.

It'll take me a lifetime to understand what he was talking about.
[smiley=beer.gif] Cass.

Hi Cass, this is just the old "Three chord trick" that have been around since at least the sixties that I know of.  Thats why most of us who grew up in the sixties were strumming along to the Beatles, stones etc with only three chords.  Status Quo have made a living out of this  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :cool:

giayank

Just another day in paradise
If you can carry a tune while singing half the time you can get away with not playing anything .  ;D

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Cass,
I guess the point of it all is that if you get your ear really familiar with the I IV V chords, then even though many songs use other chords, you can get "Close" with just the  I IV & V and most audiences wont really notice that it's not EXACTLY right.

It takes a pretty good ear and, in my opinion, quite a bit of experience to be able to do this on the fly as he suggests.

Jacass

Blues Newbie
Cass,
I guess the point of it all is that if you get your ear really familiar with the I IV V chords, then even though many songs use other chords, you can get "Close" with just the  I IV & V and most audiences wont really notice that it's not EXACTLY right.

It takes a pretty good ear and, in my opinion, quite a bit of experience to be able to do this on the fly as he suggests.

Quite a good ear and quite a bit of experience are two things I'm lacking in. I'm working on them, but I've got a ways to go. However I think I now understand what you guys mean now. I suppose it's like mixing the notes in a scale up. As long as you hit one of the notes it'll fit. It might not sound to good but it'll still fit. So, with time instead of just fitting you learn how to make it fit and sound good.

Cheers guys.
[smiley=beer.gif] Cass.  [smiley=beer.gif]

Tayport

Blues Newbie
I have watched several of his videos before and he gives a good explanation of theory. I am slowly trying to grasp it myself, it's going to take awhile!

Jacass

Blues Newbie
Ok, I watched it again, and, I absolutely positive I do not have a clue what he's saying.
[smiley=beer.gif] Cass.

Rockybottom

Senior Bluesman
Ok, I watched it again, and, I absolutely positive I do not have a clue what he's saying.
[smiley=beer.gif] Cass.

Right then......!  Thats one for the next Jam session I think !!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D :cool: