SBS OR PSTM??

anthonyp

Blues Newbie
Ican improvise around boxes 1&2&3of the minor pentatonic scale, but seem to be stuck there, I also can play with the major over the I chord and swich to minor over the IV & V but not to well, I would like to take advantage of Griffs sale, which course is better for me SBS or PSTM?

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
SBS concentrates on the major/minor sound.  Solos.

PSTM concentrates on technique.  Scales.

Which of those are you looking to improve on?

L

Lame_Pinkey

Well it sounds like you're wanting to inprove your scale knowledge so therefore I would suggest PSTM.
One you get the 5 boxes together then you can go to SBS later.

LP

Dr. Ron

Nuthin’ But The Blues!
I purchased SBS last year but just discovered its secrets in the last few months.  Amazing! I have logged many many hours over that vamp trak of Griff's which has totally changed the way I look at the fretboard.  IMHO it is a must to do right now because of the referencing of the root notes instead of scale patterns.  I have PTSM also but I would sear SBS into my memory banks first. 

giayank

Just another day in paradise
  I don't have  SBS or PSTM . I do however have SWS . I can't compare but I'll give a shout for SWS for helping to see the fret board and improvising over it . Just for a bit of knowledge already here on the forum take a look at this post of Griff's . Pay particular attention to the last diagram . It shows the major and minor boxes and their roots indexed by what  string the root note falls on for each particular box position. This would be page 6 .

http://bluesguitarunleashed.com/pdf/major-minor-blues-boxes.pdf

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
I purchased SBS  [snip]has totally changed the way I look at the fretboard.
Had I elaborated, that's probably what I would have said.  It veers away from looking at "boxes" so much and demonstrates how to view the fretboard around root notes instead...go to the root note and play to the right or left around it.

It's a concept I'm still trying to get under my fingers.

L

Lame_Pinkey

I agree with you Dr. Ron & snarf totally but Ap mentioned that he could improvise around boxes 1-2-3 but 4 & 5 are missing, don't you think you should comfortably know all 5 boxes before going to SBS ?

LP

Jon3b

Blues Newbie
  PTSM is aimed at improving right and left hand dexterity and synchronization. Good if your intent is to build your technique within the pentatonics.
  SBS will build your chops over a slow blues using major and minor pentatonic licks. If you spend time with the first half of the course's exercises, you'll get that fluid shift between the major and minor scales. It seems that's what you're looking for.
  Not having boxes 4 & 5 mastered may give you some fits with the exercises centered around those patterns, but again, if you take the time to master the exercises before the solos you will have those scale patterns well in hand. Just be aware that Slow Blues is a bit of a misnomer. Many of the licks carry a lot of speed.  ;)

tommytubetone

Great Lakes
  I don't have  SBS or PSTM . I do however have SWS . I can't compare but I'll give a shout for SWS for helping to see the fret board and improvising over it . Just for a bit of knowledge already here on the forum take a look at this post of Griff's . Pay particular attention to the last diagram . It shows the major and minor boxes and their roots indexed by what  string the root note falls on for each particular box position. This would be page 6 .

http://bluesguitarunleashed.com/pdf/major-minor-blues-boxes.pdf

+1  [smiley=beer.gif]

FishKiller

Blues Newbie
I agree with you Dr. Ron & snarf totally but Ap mentioned that he could improvise around boxes 1-2-3 but 4 & 5 are missing, don't you think you should comfortably know all 5 boxes before going to SBS ?

LP
I think LP is right about knowing the 5 boxes, minor and major, I think I would go with PSTM to get the boxes under my fingers first, most know the minor boxes, but few including myself know all 5 major boxes.

Carlos

Blues_Man

Blues Newbie
PSTM all the way for the reasons stated above,

in addition SBS can have some very difficult and FAST licks which could

cause frustration if your not that far along in the finger area and PSTM will get you there  ;)

steve w

Nottinghamshire, UK
Is there a link to Griff's sale?

The last email from Griff!

Yep... it's Memorial Day this weekend around these parts
and while I'd love to say I'm going on a wonderful little
vacation - I'd be lying because I've got a bunch of gigs
this weekend 

But I was thinking that since summer is right around the
corner it would be cool to get you geared up for the summer...

Now, you probably already know that you, as one of my
most valued customers, can get 20% off of anything else
of mine you want.

You just use the code STUDENT01 at checkout (that's a
zero and a one at the end, and use all caps like that.)

It's just one of your membership perks and something I
do to show my appreciation for your trust in me.

But this weekend in honor of Memorial Day I've fixed it
so that you not only get your usual 20%... but you get
an extra 10% off and free shipping through the end of
day on Tuesday the 28th.

All you have to do is head over to the Blues Guitar Unleashed
Course Catalog page and I've got everything listed out
there for you:

http://bluesguitarunleashed.com/course-catalog/?Id=292790&Email=ffpacker%40aol.c...

steve w

Nottinghamshire, UK
No problem,

Just read it again myself and only just realised its free delivery, and, as you fellow Brits will know, the delivery adds quite a chunk on the price.
So I just ordered PSTM.  :D

While I'm here any of you Brits used the cheaper postage?
If so how long did the order take?

Steve G

St. Simons Island, GA
I use both & find that they complement each other perfectly.  I'm a bit busy with other things(building a new house) right now but when I'm in my routine I generally warm up with PSTM to improve speed, technique, & knowledge of the scale patterns in all 5 boxes.  Then on to SBS to ingrain how the 5 box patterns relate to root notes all over the fretboard & when & how to shift from major to minor around any root note location.  The excercises help build the skills & the solos drive them home while giving you some great major & minor licks all over the fretboard. 

L

LynnLaFrance

LP
I think LP is right about knowing the 5 boxes, minor and major, I think I would go with PSTM to get the boxes under my fingers first, most know the minor boxes, but few including myself know all 5 major boxes.

Carlos

Just to clarify - actually the Minor and Major boxes are the same so if you "know" the 5 minor boxes then you "know" the 5 major boxes too.  It's just where you start them that is different - but the box pattern is the same.  So you DO know all the Major boxes Carlos!   :)

anthonyp

Blues Newbie
Thanks everyone for all the responses, I ordered the SBS course after careful consideration, my dexterity around the fret board is very good and getting that major and minor sound is more what I'm looking for.

Steve G

St. Simons Island, GA
You'll love the course Ap.  It'll really help with the major/minor thing & the solos are fantastic.