Turnarounds

FishKiller

Blues Newbie
Practicing turnarounds, I missplaced Griff's bonus material with turnarounds, and wanted to practice them again, I found this blog on turnarounds to be helpful, they are notated out and tabbed with a audio example, I thought they might help someone else.
http://www.heartwoodguitar.com/blog/2006/10/01/blues-turnarounds/
PS. When he talks about--the locator note--he is talking about the root note.

Carlos

Blues_Man

Blues Newbie
Practicing turnarounds, I missplaced Griff's bonus material with turnarounds, and wanted to practice them again, I found this blog on turnarounds to be helpful, they are notated out and tabbed with a audio example, I thought they might help someone else.
http://www.heartwoodguitar.com/blog/2006/10/01/blues-turnarounds/
PS. When he talks about--the locator note--he is talking about the root note.

Carlos

"text quote"

To move them to a different key, identify your locator note. This note should match the note your key is named after. So if you’re playing in the key of G, and your locator note is on the first string, you’ll play that note on the first string, 3rd fret (which is a G note).

so yes locator note=Key/Root

L

Lame_Pinkey

Personally I love turnarounds , its one of the things that define the blues so much. Now there are a lot of turnarounds, many of which are just an extension/reduction of a previous turnaround - so all those books out there with titles like "100 must know blues turnarounds" actually have only 10 with 10 variations of each.
The best turnarounds are the simplest ones, ones in which you can quickly use without having to stop & work it out in your head every time & can use it in every key...after all its no good "knowing" a great turnaround if you have to stop & work it out or can't easily play it in every key right at the spot & time you need to - or are called upon to do so.

LP

Blues_Man

Blues Newbie
Personally I love turnarounds , its one of the things that define the blues so much. Now there are a lot of turnarounds, many of which are just an extension/reduction of a previous turnaround - so all those books out there with titles like "100 must know blues turnarounds" actually have only 10 with 10 variations of each.
The best turnarounds are the simplest ones, ones in which you can quickly use without having to stop & work it out in your head every time & can use it in every key...after all its no good "knowing" a great turnaround if you have to stop & work it out or can't easily play it in every key right at the spot & time you need to - or are called upon to do so.

LP

great points LP

personally i haven't incorporated any turnarounds in my playing for some of the reasons you outline,
and mostly i'm not sure of how to fit them in like when, what beat, style and more i'm sure

FishKiller

Blues Newbie
While learning to play the bass, I was taught turnarounds--but they were not the same turnarounds, as blues turnarounds(they were a chord progression that alot of songs are written on) I learned song endings for blues songs, after going through these turnarounds I noticed that they are the song endings that I learned on bass, you can use the same turnarounds as song endings by going to the Root note at the end. :) I hope that did not confuse anyone.
Carlos