Google Guitar

johnc

systematic
Hey there is a growing number of confrontational situations particularly in this area of the forum.  It is becoming a bit annoying so I am just appealing to members to try and cool it a bit.
As per my heading, there are a few who get on here who "know enough to be dangerous" so to speak and I refer to it as "Google Guitar".  I say this because it is apparent to me that when a member asks a question here on the forum they are needing advice from someone who owns the knowledge. And who can give advice from first hand experience and their own knowlege base.
Unfortunately there are some who will just Google an answer and paste it on the forum, maybe modify it a little without a full understanding of the question or the topic, which can give a misleading result. 
This is very frustrating to see such so obvious things posted.  I am sure that the poster can just Google an answer themselves but they are probably after a more definitive and specific answer, not a heap of confusing mumbo jumbo.
So you know who you are so if you don't own the knowlege, try and stay out of it and leave it to those who do. We should have far less arguements and confusion this way.
We are a world wide forum too so it is natural to have a broad range of terms and different ways of approaching the same thing so a bit of flexibility, broadmindedness and tolerance.
Just don't take someone to task if it is obvious that they are saying the same thing and if any member is just being an ar$e please ignore them, they want you to bite, because they obviously have no life and this is their entertainment.
Thankyou..

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Well said John. Some of these threads have wandered so far from the original question that it's hard to believe that it's the same thread. I understand that this is somewhat the nature of Forums (I'm as guilty as anyone), but let's all try to keep the original questions in mind too.

Thatman

Playin' for the fun of it.
Yep, fully agree with all above but in a funny perverse kink of way I enjoy reading the heated comments and the pointed snips, it all helps in getting to know folks personality as well as their guitar knowledge.  [smiley=beer.gif]

I think it helps this forum to be so damn good.  :cool:

Marv

I play 'err' guitar.
I believe I understand the original post here, but just checking.

Just so "owning" isn't misconstrued, I'm reading that it's okay to answer a question to the best of your ability based on what you think the question is and what you think the answer is.  This is your "ownership" of the subject matter.

When my kids say they "own" something or someone, they are full and complete masters of it/them.  If that's the intended definition, not many of us are going to be answering questions.  Some may think that is good!  :-/

Sometimes I will answer to the best of my knowledge with the expectation that someone may find some error in my understanding and correct me.  That's how I, and hopefully other readers of the thread who have the same misunderstanding, learn.  So any misconceptions we have are aired and tested.

Just don't want people to be afraid to participate because they aren't "experts." 

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
I sometimes answer questions because I hope I can help. I am not an expert but I believe that my answering does a couple of things. First it helps me clarify the issue in my mind so I can make an answer. I feel sometimes that the person asking the question may have over looked a simple practice or piece of knowledge and that I am at the place in Griffs course where that piece is discussed or demonstrated. And finally I appreciate being given other ideas or shown where I have gone off track if that is the case as it advances me as well as the person asking the question.  :)

johnc

systematic
Hey no this is not meant to discourage anyone from helping if they feel they can put some light on the subject or just wish to comment generally, it is a forum and the power of many is what it is all about.
Just two issues I would like to see stop or at least minimised, I will try to clarify "own the knowlege"

If someone is asking a question by all means participate with your own knowlege and experience or if you are aware of a link to a webpage that may be helpful post the link by all means.  But please do not cut and paste bits of info from a web site unless you are absolutely sure of it's full relevance to the question. It may be better to say "I found some info on the subject at this website, you may be interested in reading" provide a link and then it's up to the poster to decide if it is relevant.  Some of this copied and pasted Googled stuff is often way more complicated than the question demands and seems to start side debates and tends to get the posters subject off track IMHO.

Secondly please remember that everyones level of knowlege and understanding is at many different levels and nobody likes to be put down or made to to look silly. Please be kind to each other and if you think somebody is wrong about something surely there is no need to attack them.  It is just their understanding which may be different to yours and a friendly discussion is far more productive.

If anyone seems to maliciously targeting another member for any reason or is continually hijacking posts with off topic discussions please bring it to the attention of the Mods or Griff

L

Lame_Pinkey

The "copied & pasted Google stuff" referred to above has been in the main - I think - scales & chord shapes posted by members to help illustrate their point ... I don't see anything wrong with that at all, in fact I think that have a diagram - regardless of where you are getting it from - is a great tool to help others in understanding what it is you are trying to get across.
I have copied/pasted the CAGED diagram from a book I have to illustrate the concept of using the root of these chords to find notes across the fretboard.Without using this diagram it would have been completely impossible to try & explain.
So I think "copy & pasting" is fine as long as the person doing so actually does know what it is they are
"copying/pasting" & it may be "obvious" that it is copied/pasted from a site found on Google but it may also be the best diagram to use.

[glow=yellow,2,300]LP[/glow]

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Two things about copying information from other sources:
1) If it is even remotely possible that it is copywrited information, DO NOT POST IT. Griff doesn't need the headache.
2) I think the only thing that Johnc was trying to say was to:
-be sure that you understand the question and the answer yourself. If not, then let someone else answer the question.
-be sure that the information you find answers the question and doesn't cause more confusion than it clears up.

L

Lame_Pinkey

1) [glow=yellow,2,300]If it is even remotely possible that it is copywrited information, DO NOT POST IT. Griff doesn't need the headache.[/glow]2) I think the only thing that Johnc was trying to say was to:
-be sure that you understand the question and the answer yourself. If not, then let someone else answer the question.
-be sure that the information you find answers the question and doesn't cause more confusion than it clears up.
yeah make sure you do not paste anything that has book/website name visible  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

LP   ;)

johnc

systematic
1) If it is even remotely possible that it is copywrited information, DO NOT POST IT. Griff doesn't need the headache.
2) I think the only thing that Johnc was trying to say was to:

Thanks Mike, You said it better :)

giayank

Just another day in paradise
Part of the learning process for me is to begin to speak what I think I just learned . We all started in the music playing at different times in our lives . Would never what to discourage a person from posting a responce . if you are not 100 percent clear on a topic just state that this is what you think it is . Leave the door open for clearification from someone who may know more . but please speak up . As it has been said many times only wrong question is the one not asked . Members of this forum of ours should always feel comfortable asking and replying to the posts. Thats the beauty of the BGU forum.

music

Blues Newbie
I tend to agree with MikeS but dont go getting the blues over it and if you do write a song about it. ::)

panther

Blues Newbie
Part of the learning process for me is to begin to speak what I think I just learned . We all started in the music playing at different times in our lives . Would never what to discourage a person from posting a responce . if you are not 100 percent clear on a topic just state that this is what you think it is . Leave the door open for clearification from someone who may know more . but please speak up . As it has been said many times only wrong question is the one not asked . Members of this forum of ours should always feel comfortable asking and replying to the posts. Thats the beauty of the BGU forum.

That can help both the questioner, and the respondent if the respondent thinks their answer is correct, and if he or she has misunderstood it, that way can be clarified  for both. To respond and clarify it with "If I understand correctly", that will make it clear it's an opinion, and not necessarily the definitive answer. I think many disagreements could be avoided, if that disclaimer was used more often.
Dan