The Value in taking your time

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
I have been listening to the credo of more experienced players and taking the advice that it is not a race. I have been working mainly on one song, Need Your Love So Bad by Peter Green. I thought that by just playing (learning) this one song I would get bored with it and not like the song. Well I am here to tell you what has happened. First, I have come to love and appreciate this song more than ever. I never get bored listening to the song and learning to play it. I have also found that by sticking with this song I have a much greater appreciation of the song. I love how every part fits, to listen to the bass and lead inter act is chilling. Before going on this adventure I was a primarily listener of the lyrics and melody. Now (and in part from doing Griffs Theory course ) I understand how it all fits together. Because I did such things as listen only to the song as a whole or in parts on a MP3 player I got it solidified in my mind. I am at the point that as I listen to the song I can in my head play all the notes. It is kind of cool to play my guitar in my head to the song. Another thing that has happened because I have completely immersed myself in this song is that I can now hum the song (in tune no less) which was definitely a weak area for me. It made me realize that it doesn't matter to me if this is the only song that I ever learn because this song has become part of me. I still have a ways to go in learning it but I think in a couple of weeks or so I will own it. The techniques that I had to perfect will of course carry over to my next project so even though it is taking time this is the greatest learning I have ever done as a whole. I know that when I finish this song I will next do "Lucille" by BB King. I still work on Griffs courses, and learn licks but I place at least 90% of my energy on this one song. Not sure if this is for everyone but I know that when I picked up the guitar I wished I could play one song real well. Then I started Griffs BBG because I needed to learn the basics. Then I got caught looking at "shiny things" and so on. Well I am happy I found the right path and have Griffs experience and courses to carry on in a way that satisfys me.  [smiley=beer.gif]

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
great post

+1

After another practice session where I don't feel like I'm progressing fast enough, your post is just what I needed.  That's an excellent song to learn as well.  Thanks for the wake up call.

B

Bolar

Great indeed. Sounds like you're learning to play music rather than guitar :D

wgabree

Blues Newbie
Good stuff Larry!  It all comes back to getting the basics down solid.  Sticking with one song and getting totally down, understanding what makes it tick - that opens up everything!

:cool:

giayank

Just another day in paradise
Great point Larry ! I just started a different approach to my practicing and although different I think the idea is similar. What I have started to do is to breakdown each lick I find in the four courses of Griff's that I have.I play the lick I see what key ,box , timing and tempo it has . I transpose to other keys and try to use it in different styles. When I have it down I move on to another one. But only after I have full success with what I'm working on . When I first got the courses all I tried to do was to play the solo's like Griff did . What I'm doing now is starting to learn how to make and play my own. With some reflection I've come to think that's what the intention was when Griff put the courses together.Not to just copy him but to learn how to play the guitar.

Thatman

Playin' for the fun of it.
Fully empathise there Larry and I too am oh so looking forward to the day I can play a recognisable song with confidence.  [smiley=beer.gif]

B

BronwynH

Hi Gang
I have had a couple of set backs with running through the course and restarted each time.
(I put my shoulder out, which really sat me on my tail for a bit)
Obviously it is getting easier to get through the stuff at the start but I still get to the middle and hit a bit of a wall.
Thanks for the reality check.
We all need to take it one day at a time.
Or as my father used to say you can only put one leg in your pants at a time.
Slow and steady is the only way to finish any race.
ciao
BronwynH [smiley=beer.gif]

SunnyOne

Blues Newbie
all good points Larry. i think we all get impatient because we want to be playing everything. to study on one song isn't going to hurt anything. as you said you'll continue to learn the courses and that will enrich and open up what you are seeing as "new" when you practice and play the song. and the beauty of it is, is that you'll have memorized it along the way too.

Keep at it!  :)